Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin South Traffic Management

Options
  • 09-05-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Is it just me or do the policies of SDCC with regard to traffic management seem to be very heavily weighted in favour of everything but cars ? For example, the traffic around my area has been a nitemare for years due to increase in population with no development of roads. Then all of a sudden last year, SDCC took it upon themselves to do some very major road works in the area and surrounding areas. Everyone thought great - finally they're doing something about it.

But no. What did they do ? The did a fantastic job widening the roads, surfacing it to a very high standard etc. And then they go and put in bus lanes, cycle lanes, walking lanes, wider foot paths, speed ramps all over the place. The result is the roads in my area are now worse than they were for motorists before the work began. Basically if you're not a motorist, you're life is better. But it's all at the expense of anyone in a car.

So that's why I'm thinking that SDCC policy seems to be that they should build and "upgrade" roads so that anything but a car is better off. It comes across as a blatent attempt to push people out of their cars. And the thing that always makes me laugh is that if everyone did get out of their cars, who would be left to pay for the fantastic facilities enjoyed by everyone else ??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

everywhere is doing that. private cars in the city do not work and need to be discouraged in favour of walking / cycling / public transport all of which are infinity more sustainable
    Iwho would be left to pay for the fantastic facilities enjoyed by everyone else ??!

this also makes no sense...

motor tax and fuel duty etc all goes into one big central pot and is not ringfenced for roads. Roads get far far more funding than motor tax will ever generate also. Everybody pays for the roads through all taxes, just like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BanjoSpanner

everywhere is doing that. private cars in the city do not work and need to be discouraged in favour of walking / cycling / public transport all of which are infinity more sustainable.

Sure. In a country where it doesn't rain or blow a gale for most of the year I'd love to walk or cycle. Also in a city like Dublin I'd love to walk or cycle to my job in the City Centre, from my home in PORTLAOISE ..... because that's the only place I could afford to buy.

And sure, I'd love to use public transport. If I had a system that was frequent, reliable and worked I'd never get off it. :rolleyes:

And now that I've thrown away my car, on Saturday and Sunday I'll take the reduced frequency bus service all over the place as well because it fits into my leisurely timetable perfectly. Likewise if my son falls off a wall and breaks his leg out in the middle of nowhere, I'll either wait for the next bus to bring him to hospital, I'll carry him there on a cross bar or I'll wait until the ambulance gets there by which time he'll be deep in a state of shock and hypothermia. :rolleyes:

motor tax and fuel duty etc all goes into one big central pot and is not ringfenced for roads. Roads get far far more funding than motor tax will ever generate also. Everybody pays for the roads through all taxes, just like everything else.

Do you know that for a fact ? Show me the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sure. In a country where it doesn't rain or blow a gale for most of the year I'd love to walk or cycle.
    it doesn't here in reality, much as we all love to moan that it does

Do you know that for a fact ? Show me the figures.
    do you own research, mentioned plenty of times in motors and elsewhere never mind the government sites

a very quick search from google
    motor tax income for 2006 will be €870 million compared with

ten times that is spend on road infrastructure

Advertisement