Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long live the DJ

• 09-05-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Interesting comment from John Clarke yesterday morning on his show, which btw is the number 1 music show on the radio at that time on a Sunday according to the lastest JNLRs. He was delighted and so he should be. I didn't catch it in full but he said something like not bad for a man who doesn't have a TV show.
    Fair play to you J Clarke. Long live the DJ...:cool:

And it just proves having massive Facebook followings, loads of people following you on Twitter and having a little 30min show on the Telly doesn't mean you'll cut it on the plain old FM Radio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

bbability wrote: »

And it just proves having massive Facebook followings, loads of people following you on Twitter and having a little 30min show on the Telly doesn't mean you'll cut it on the plain old FM Radio.

Was only thinking about this on saturday whilst listening to Enda on (Classic hits:D) 4 FM. The good ol' DJ that some of us remember is a dying breed. I think some aspects of Nova have returned to the older style and it may be working for them. Jim O'Neill also fits into that catagory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bbability wrote: »
    Interesting comment from John Clarke yesterday morning on his show, which btw is the number 1 music show on the radio at that time on a Sunday according to the lastest JNLRs. He was delighted and so he should be. I didn't catch it in full but he said something like not bad for a man who doesn't have a TV show.
    Fair play to you J Clarke. Long live the DJ...:cool:

He must have mentioned it a couple of times, as he said something else along the lines of "150, 000 listeners . . not bad for someone that does it on his own. It's just you and me, thanks for listening."

Well done John Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Right lets take a more in depth look at John clarke and his Sunday show. Never met the guy and im sure he's a lovely bloke, he started off in the pirates in the early days and got into rte at the inception of what is now 2FM, so in short he's been at it a long time.

Personally I find his style of presentation a tad bland, also i dont like the fact that he's prone to referencing Nova and 4FM by saying things like 'at least im live on air unlilke that other crowd', he's done this at least twice, its unprofessional, focus on your own show.

Also might i add that the success of his show is more probably down to the music he's playing as its not ga ga/ katy perry / rihanna that saturates our radiowaves normally. Some will say its Clarke that picks the music for his show, and i will say it doesnt take a genius to play oldies from the likes of ELO, JAPAN, Alan parsons Project etc

Also the fact that the show is national means for the most part clarkes show benefits from a very loyal listenership, now some of you will argue that clarke is an exception in 2fm as many other shows have lost listenership consistently and i would answer that by asking was it not under clarkes stewardship that much of the 2fm's rot began to set in? I would also suggest that the listeners to his show would not necessarily listen to the rest of 2fm's output.

Certainly his style is different from the majority of jocks on our airwaves now but he again benefits from the fact that 2fm is less formatted than other commercial radio stations. I would think if he walked into a radio station now looking for work with a demo in hand he would find it hard to get on air, same goes for gogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I have often heard him slagging the other 2FM presenter's.I heard him once saying himself and Larry were the only 2 that didnt come into the studio, with four inches of paper.He digs out the oldies though..Great listen on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

I agree wholeheartedly that John Clarke is excellent but before we make him a saint let's not forget that he was PD at 2fm for a substantial time during it's demise and he did hire at least some of the talent.

Mentioning of tweeting reminds me that the virus has even spread to the early morning show on Rte Radio 1. Will someone please stop the promos with the silly "The Who" beds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hartnett_mark

He must have mentioned it a couple of times, as he said something else along the lines of "150, 000 listeners . . not bad for someone that does it on his own. It's just you and me, thanks for listening."

Well done John Clarke.

wow 150 000 listeners is a lot if he does it alone, i listen him sometimes as well ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

When John mentions the pre-recorded shows elsewhere I think he's referring to Classic Gold Sunday with Jim O'Neill on Today FM. I could be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

cor wrote: »
    When John mentions the pre-recorded shows elsewhere I think he's referring to Classic Gold Sunday with Jim O'Neill on Today FM. I could be wrong?

You could be right. I used to like listening to Jim O Neill's show on a Sunday but its the same 50 or so songs on constant rotation. As for JC's show, ok some classics will be requested week after week but at least he mixes it up a bit.

There's no excuse for a 3 hour recorded show on daytime radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You are probably right there cor. I still enjoy Jim O'Neills show. I think his voice is great. It does lack some of the interactivity of JC's show. But suppose that's what happens when it's pre-recorded. Jim O'Neill records from his studio in South Africa as far as I know.

Advertisement