Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Sugar Tackles Football

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Anyone else see this last night ?

I was very very surprised by the interview with Harry.

I'm paraphrasing and this isn't an exact quote but basically Harry said:

He didn't know the wages of a single player at Spurs.
    The board looked after all wage negotiations.
    There was a player (not named) who signed a new 5 year contract and first Harry heard of this was in the paper the morning after.

I have to say I'm shocked by this assuming it is true. Surely the manager should have some say in this, particularly with contract extensions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I watched some of it and thought it was good. Didnt get to see the bit you mention above.

Pretty shocking.

I wouldnt be too concerned about harry not knowing the wages the players are on but surely he should be involved in who is signing new contracts/extensions etc.

I cant believe for one moment that harrys not consulted on these.. HR might not rate the player or he might not be in his long terms plans and suddenly the player signs a bumper contract and harry's stuck with them. Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

New contract, could have been one of the much younger players, who HR wouldn't be directly involved with.
    Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

It might have been Bales new one.. and they just assumed HR would be okay with that.

I think we can let them away with that one if thats the case.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Thats just Harry being a geezer. He knew about it, he just wanted involved in the negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

There was a player (not named) who signed a new 5 year contract and first Harry heard of this was in the paper the morning after.

I have to say I'm shocked by this assuming it is true. Surely the manager should have some say in this, particularly with contract extensions.

Im afraid I forgot it was on and didnt see it, I have to admit Im not a big Sugar fan after the way he ran our club, he got rid of a great manager (Imo) and a former player of the club Terry Venables and then after a succession of poor managers employed a man that has a gooner crest on his patio as our manager, I know we won the League Cup with him but Im sorry I cant forgive him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Harry was telling more lies mate. Im sure he knows exactly what most players are on, and to say he knew nothing about a player being offered a new 5 year contract is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

All part of Harry's deflection, nothing to do with me guv, they spent the money etc etc

He doesn't have the freedom he would like to have on the financial side, but to suggest he has no idea what they are on? Not buying that at all.

As for Lord Sugar, he is a hypocrite who happily does business with people who have slagged us off (the Gollivan's skivvy at the Bingo Club for one) and resents players making money but would happily pocket your hard-earned all the same...his vision for football isn't to make it more affordable, merely more profitable for shareholders.

Anyway, the whole thing was just an advert for The Apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Harrys the man who had John Utaka on 80k a week at Pompey. Thank god he's nowhere near that side of the game at THFC.

Have to pull up the lillywhite on Sugar firing Venables though. He was lucky he was only fired and not horse whipped tbh. What he was using the club for was bordering on illegal. He didn't coach the side in 91/92 either it was Peter Shreeves. venables was only interested in scamming his way to the financial side of the game that season. Sugar was 1000% correct in getting rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Utaka wasn't actually on 80k a week he was on 30 but bonuses brought that up but because they never played him they never payed him that kind of money

Advertisement