Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog pooping in public...

• 09-05-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I know this may sound ridiculous, but is it possible to train your dog to poop when you say so? and if so how?!

The reason I'm asking is I have a 2 year old Lab, who is very well trained, he'll sit, lie down, go to bed, stay, roll over etc etc on command. He also pee's on command too, I just have to say go pee. The problem is when I bring him into town with me, I'd first let him out in my back garden to poop before we go anywhere, but sometimes he doesn't need to go then. So we go into town for our walk and its happened so many times now, always in the most public place, right on main street, at the town square etc., I may stop for a second to talk to someone and before I know it my dog is squeezing one out right beside me! :D
    Its so embarrassing! I recognise his body movements straight away when he needs to go and usually try to run to the nearest area that I would deem appropriate (behind a bush etc.), but its like one minute he's fine, the next he has to go and he just cant stop it coming out straight away (Which can leave a messy trail behind!)! I'm sorry I know this is disgusting!
    And before anyone asks, yes I carry a poop bag with me, but its just he always does it in a very public area and people stand there giving me dirty looks etc. So any tips on how to train my dog out of embarrassing me in public, or is it possible?!! I've tried to research this already but I can't find any info. Do I just live with the fact that if the dogs gotta go, he's gotta go!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

It's the walking that triggers the muscle movement that gets it all going hence why letting him out into the garden isn't working for you.

Taking that into account can you identify a pattern on how long it takes for the act to "kick in" so to speak and maybe do a short walk in a suitable location for him to do his business before you head into town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    Do I just live with the fact that if the dogs gotta go, he's gotta go!?
    Dogs "generally" poo 20-30 mins after their main feed, that is if they're fed on a once or twice daily routine on a regular basis with no medical complications. If you're in a routine then its pretty easy to spot when they're about to "go". Sniffing, circling,lower back crouch etc

If you're giving him access to food at random times, then expect random results (they're not machines in fairness)..just like ourselves :D

Tbh, nobody will think twice (more so "fair play") if they see your dog defaecating and you cleaning up immediately. I wouldnt..

Id much rather see an owner standing (mortified) at the side of the road holding a bag waiting to pick up, than one dragging their dog to stop them pooing and scolding them(seen that too many times :mad:)!

Sh!t happens...literally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Thanks for the replies!
    He's fed once a day at night, usually about 2 hours before bed, and doesn't particularly have a "pooping routine", sometimes he goes before bed, sometimes he waits till the next day. But I recognise the sniffing, squirming, frantically glancing from side to side in search on the perfect place to go... but there's just nothing worse than when it happens on a busy pedestrian street in broad daylight!

I'll try playing ball with him out in the garden for a while before bringing him out in public, or a short walk, and feeding him at exact times rather than the within the hour approach I currently have, and see if that works. I guess I was more wondering if it is possible/do people actually somehow manage to get their dogs to poop only when their told to do so? I was looking up about dogs sh***ing in public places (as you do... :o) and every site I looked on said something like "train your dog not to go in public places", but no where said how to actually do this...

Like, would it be wrong when he's going in public to sternly say no (and give him my disapproving face that I've mastered after house training), and then if/when he goes in an area that i want him to go in reward him? Or would that mess with his little head?! :D

I guess you're right anniehoo; **** happens! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Like, would it be wrong when he's going in public to sternly say no (and give him my disapproving face that I've mastered after house training), and then if/when he goes in an area that i want him to go in reward him? Or would that mess with his little head?
    I have no doubt there probably is a technique and im not being at all helpful here, but i find carrying a bag around with me for walks is much easier (and more relaxing for me and the dog) than structuring my day around when my dog is going to defaecate while outside of the "house training" boundaries. I personally think thats training gone too far.

I may be corrected a million times on this but a good house trained dog is as far as my goal is regarding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe if you split his meal in 2 he might get more "regular" :pac: - if you're feeding him once a day it's probably slowing down his metabolism? My guy goes twice a day - an hour or so after eating on our morning and evening walks. He also always has a wee before getting into the car lol :pac: and if we're going out first thing to daycare or the beach etc he'll poo then before setting off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Yes it is very possible to train your dog to go to the toilet on command....and not out on the street. That is how all guide dogs are trained...as obviously their owners would be unable to clean up after a dog. It is fairly straight forward but you need patience and to be consistent. It would also depend on what you are feeding your dog, how often and what your schedule is. Food is most important (like the food we eat) as it depends on the quality and how much is left as waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Am I the only one who has a dog who straight after eating starts troting around the kitchen in circles while constantly looking out the window waiting for you to let him out to poo? I mean literally straight after eating he needs to poo, none of this 20-30 mins business! :D Mind you he still has some left in him for when I bring him for a walk.

I think the most embarrassing time was when he decided to squat while I walked past a church with everybody walking out after sunday mass. And the worst bit is I work in the local shop on the deli so I get to make everybodies breakfast rolls after they've come out from mass! :D Of course I wash my hands but I can still imagine some people are still saying ewww there's the girl who picks up poo making your breakfast roll. But the way I looked at it was they'd be saying worse things if I left it there and someone stepped in it wearing their good sunday shoes! :D

Oh sorry I realise this is no help whatsoever in training your dog to not poo in public!

Why can't they invent something like this? http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vxRM7z378Jk/SnX4_lzoR-I/AAAAAAAAY_Y/T3p432goW8M/s400/!horse.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/58972-horse-poo-obstacles.html&usg=__1ZuWOPSPkfAu9KXpbioapWcP8Cw=&h=326&w=350&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ajy0ErkYnnz4SM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=152&ei=nCPJTYzzFoPxsgaP0uyLAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhorse%2Bpoop%2Bcatcher%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1579%26bih%3D715%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1032&vpy=112&dur=265&hovh=217&hovw=233&tx=135&ty=131&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Yes it is very possible to train your dog to go to the toilet on command....and not out on the street. That is how all guide dogs are trained...as obviously their owners would be unable to clean up after a dog. It is fairly straight forward but you need patience and to be consistent. It would also depend on what you are feeding your dog, how often and what your schedule is. Food is most important (like the food we eat) as it depends on the quality and how much is left as waste.

Thanks for your reply, I feed him Royal Canin, I full bowl once a day (its used to be twice a day up until recently but it was recommended we feed him once a day now seeing as he is 2). I have loads of patience, I've trained him to do everything he knows, and he's such a clever dog, real easy to train.
    So do you have any idea how to do it?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has a dog who straight after eating starts troting around the kitchen in circles while constantly looking out the window waiting for you to let him out to poo? I mean literally straight after eating he needs to poo, none of this 20-30 mins business! :D Mind you he still has some left in him for when I bring him for a walk.

I think the most embarrassing time was when he decided to squat while I walked past a church with everybody walking out after sunday mass. And the worst bit is I work in the local shop on the deli so I get to make everybodies breakfast rolls after they've come out from mass! :D Of course I wash my hands but I can still imagine some people are still saying ewww there's the girl who picks up poo making your breakfast roll. But the way I looked at it was they'd be saying worse things if I left it there and someone stepped in it wearing their good sunday shoes! :D

Oh sorry I realise this is no help whatsoever in training your dog to not poo in public!

Why can't they invent something like this? http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vxRM7z378Jk/SnX4_lzoR-I/AAAAAAAAY_Y/T3p432goW8M/s400/!horse.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/58972-horse-poo-obstacles.html&usg=__1ZuWOPSPkfAu9KXpbioapWcP8Cw=&h=326&w=350&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ajy0ErkYnnz4SM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=152&ei=nCPJTYzzFoPxsgaP0uyLAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhorse%2Bpoop%2Bcatcher%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1579%26bih%3D715%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1032&vpy=112&dur=265&hovh=217&hovw=233&tx=135&ty=131&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Ha! I LOVE IT! If only they would invent a smaller one!

Thanks for your post, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cringes in these situations! I was feeling like a freak there for a while!!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    You know Zappery I found a video online last night that looks real - but I can't believe it is lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IrlhLF1c3k :pac:

LOL! Thats hilarious!!

"And your pets will love it too"! - I doubt it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    You know Zappery I found a video online last night that looks real - but I can't believe it is lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IrlhLF1c3k :pac:

Haha can you imagine using one of those! :pac: I think my dog would disown me if I attempted to put one on him. Anyone want to ring the number to find out if it's real or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

I guess I was more wondering if it is possible/do people actually somehow manage to get their dogs to poop only when their told to do so? I was looking up about dogs sh***ing in public places (as you do... :o) and every site I looked on said something like "train your dog not to go in public places", but no where said how to actually do this...

MeerKat i was watching an episode of "It's me or the dog USA" there recently and their back garden was distroyed with poop so their kids couldnt play out there. She set up a poop area, with a fence, in the garden and the couple were supposed to bring the dogs out there on the lead and wait for them to go either pee or poop. Eventually they got the hang of it and only went in that area. I'm sure it can be done but it's going to take an awful lot of patience imo.

Best of luck with it, my King Charles does the same thing, always in the main street with people around :o.

Thanks Mrsbrady, I've never seen that show, I must check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My three generally won't pooh on a walk until they are let off lead. As for timing they are fed at 4 - 5 pm & get walked at about 7pm. I tend to walk them at a steady pace with no stops for sniffs until they are let off.

As each dog has arrived they have been taught by lots of praise & not giving them a chance to pooh in the wrong place :D

Advertisement