Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter problem with kitten

• 09-05-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a 10 week old kitten on Friday.

I got one of those litter trays with a charcoal filter and a door on a hinge.

First couple of days i left the top off so she could see what it was and she was going no problem.

Now ive tried putting the top on but she doesnt seem to realise how to get in.
    She kitten is being very good and is holding it until i place her in there, she hasnt gone around the house at all, first few times i had to hold the door open to let her out but she has copped on how to get out now but still doesnt seem to be going in herself.

Any suggestions please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I found my cats really don't like hooded litter trays - so it could be it will just be happier without the lid.

You can remove the door on those lids however. Maybe you could leave the lid on with the door off for a few weeks until your kitten gets used to it. Then try it with the door on.

Another thing I tried (before giving up on my cats) was to put the lid (with door on) onto the floor and play games with the kitties so they had to poke their paws in through the door to catch a toy etc. It got them used to the swing door and going in and out. As I said, they just didn't like being enclosed however, and used other litter trays, the bath (!) etc rather than the closed litter tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

mdwexford wrote: »
    Just got a 10 week old kitten on Friday.

I got one of those litter trays with a charcoal filter and a door on a hinge.

First couple of days i left the top off so she could see what it was and she was going no problem.

Now ive tried putting the top on but she doesnt seem to realise how to get in.
    She kitten is being very good and is holding it until i place her in there, she hasnt gone around the house at all, first few times i had to hold the door open to let her out but she has copped on how to get out now but still doesnt seem to be going in herself.

Any suggestions please??

Give it more time for her to accustom to it. With my two I had to put the top on without the door for a week or so and then put the door on (and make sure it swung freely without noise which involved shaving a bit off).

The doors can be quite scary initially as can the lid .. so the 2 in combination can be quite off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I would defiinitely take the door off as most dont like doors and a kitten that size wont know what to do to get in. The door can be put on a later date if you want to try it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Thanks for the replies, clever idea actually MsFifers.

Im happy to report she went through it last night in my bedroom for the first time and has since gone twice downstairs as well so its all good now.

Just as well because she sleeps in my bedroom so the smell without the lid wouldnt be the greatest.

Advertisement