Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting MS Outlook Web Access

• 09-05-2011 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to set-up your MS Outlook which can be used via the web ie from another computer.

Is it a complex thing to do or do you need specilised software

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭SlanGoFoil2011

seems that it is not that straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

As far as I'm aware you need to have your mail sitting on a Microsoft Exchange server, to be allowed to use OWA. I dont think there is any other way of doing it..

I assume that is not something that is easily done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I assume that is not something that is easily done?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4488419_set-up-exchange-server.html
    Googled it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

You will need your own server or VPS to do what you want, I'm guessing if you are asking this question you have neither of these.

There are other soloutions, who is your mail provider?

• Advertisement

No dont have either. Dont know who mail provider is. Eircom supply my internet.

By the way Groinshot is a Tool.

Thanks for that. Despite you insulting me, I'll be helpful anyway. The link I showed you shows you how to set up exchange on a server/computer. You need to host your mail on an exchange, (as someone else already said) to be able to access it from the outlook exchange.

Your hosting provider is probably eircom then. It would be *youremailhere*@hostingprovider.something

I don't see how what I said wasn't helpful, you asked do you need software, someone else said you do, and I gave you the instructions on what you need.
    You can set up the exchange server on your home computer, but it will need to be connected 24/7 to be able to access the mail from another computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Welcome to boards.

You dont know who the email provider is, is it work email, or otherwise?
    What is the main part of your email address (eg @gmail.com)
    There is a good chance your email provider (providing it is not corporate email) will have a web accessible email service - most do - including eircom.
    If its a company email address and outlook is connecting to exchange then your IT people will need to have configured their exchange server for Web Access and you'll have to ask them what the address is........
    Who set up outlook for you?

So would the best thing to do be to contact my provider?

To get the details to set up the server, yes. At the end of the day you still need to host an exchange server to get the web access, so you need to get the software, and have a server/computer to host it from, and contact your email provider for the details necessary.

Alternatively, you could get an email client and install it onto a flash drive, such as thunderbird. Then you configure that one to access your email accounts, and plug the usb key into whatever computer you want, launch thunderbird and away you go.

Clink

I haven't tried it myself with thunderbird, but I do know portable apps are dead handy in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The best thing to do would be to answer/clarify a few of the queries I have raised.
    After that and without answers to these I cant help any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

kippy wrote: »
    The best thing to do would be to answer/clarify a few of the queries I have raised.
    After that and without answers to these I cant help any more.

This. basically. Without this info we cannot help much more.

An exchange license would cost a fair bit as its not aimed at home users.

Advertisement