Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a site for a friend? Use my hosting etc or what???

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello guys,

Recently my friend asked me to make a basic site for him and his construction company. Just a basic 2 page website nothing major. He offered to pay but I declined as it would take me about an hour to do. I did however tell him about the domain name costs, hosting which he will pay for.

My question is, I could easily add the site to my current hosting plan. Which is unlimited site. The only problem is if they ever want to update anything they would have to ring. I would then have to do it for them. Not to annoying but what if I had 10 friends sites??

Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing?? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Alright Steve "bai". If its 2 pages how much updating can they do and just give them an FTP with the site and they can do as they please after that?

Btw free for 1 fine. Prob take you what 2 / 5 hours depending how much time you put into design etc. * 10... I learned the hard way that freebies are a pain in the balls as they are always the ones who want more and more and more.

PS - I would also charge them for the hosting. I usually charge 30 a yr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

Signpost wrote: »
    Alright Steve "bai". If its 2 pages how much updating can they do and just give them an FTP with the site and they can do as they please after that?

Btw free for 1 fine. Prob take you what 2 / 5 hours depending how much time you put into design etc. * 10... I learned the hard way that freebies are a pain in the balls as they are always the ones who want more and more and more.

PS - I would also charge them for the hosting. I usually charge 30 a yr.

Prob won't give them access to the FTP, ill see really how I get on :)
    I guess your probably right, if I do not charge something I could be pestered and pestered.

Thanks for your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

As they are a business and show everything on books I would get seperate hosting and get them as contact name for domain etc.

If they are willing to pay for the hosting and domain theres no point in being Bob Geldof.....it will cost you less hassle in the long run like the previous poster said.

Advertisement