Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hepatic Encephalopathy

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone on here has or has a family member with this?

My Father currently has it and we know its coming from his liver as he has had problems with it for years.

Doctors haven't really gave him much hope.

Would just like to know if anyone went through this before?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MichaelFC

Yeah. One of the liver's tasks is to break down what is absorbed from the GI tract (via the portal venous system). These functions include getting rid of toxins.

Hepatic encephalopathy implies there is serious liver damage (you probably know why in your own case) preventing complete toxin breakdown.

Thus a build-up of toxins in the body unfortunately affects neurochemistry - commonly leading to confusion.

So "hepatic encephalopathy" = cerebral (brain) dysfunction from a liver cause.

The only answer really is to remove/reverse the cause of the liver failure before irreversible liver damage and liver failure occurs. You'd be surprised to learn how much damage the liver can handle and still fully recover.

I am sorry to hear it though. Best of luck,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭rossieboy

Thanks for your kind response Micheal.

My Father passed away two weeks ago from Liver Failure.

We knew it was coming but just wanted a bit more information about it before it happened.

Thanks again.

Take Care.

Advertisement