Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Photographer Effect

• 10-05-2011 12:31am

Howdy pard'ners :) ,

Something I thought I'd post, that I meant to post a long time ago, and never really got round to. It's something I've sorta subconsciously noticed a good while ago, and I wonder if it's just my imagination or a real-life thing.

Pretty much, as odd as this may sound, I find that when I'm carrying a camera (especially with a big lens), people are generally friendlier to me?

The old bint who wouldn't give you the time of day is suddenly full of "lovely weather" comments, most men I pass wish me 'best of luck with the snaps' (even if I'm not actually taking photos at the time, but just have the camera on me).

I suppose what I'm wondering is, does it seem to anyone else that carrying a camera creates the assumption that you're of good character and not a threat or nuisance?

I suppose there's the obvious argument that a photographer won't cause any trouble or anything, because he has expensive gear around his neck, but I think this general attitude is just something I've noticed and was wondering if anyone else has ever picked up on it, or if it's all in my head?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I find that when I'm carrying the paraphenalia of any of my hobbies. I think its just an Ice breaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yeah, people are way more friendly when you have your gear. Especially if you're comfortable using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I think it's more a case of it being anything out of the ordinary that people can see as a conversation piece making it easier for that person to approach you and be friendly. Someone with any camera beyond a compact isn't exactly a common thing to see on the street. I've found it happening to me when I've had my camera out, but I've also found it when I've been at events in full uniform, wearing body armour and carrying a replica rifle, or when I'd be carrying a hurl or golf clubs (sometimes they're the same thing, too). A combination of curiosity and interest will spark a comment or conversation from there.

If I spotted someone in the street and wanted to talk to them, I'd have a hard time striking up a conversation because I knew nothing about them. If I see them with a camera or a guitar, I'll know straight away they like photography or music. It's a visual indicator of interest, which makes you far more approachable than the people around you who remain enigmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I have a broken Mamiya 7 II that I usually bring to parties. It makes noise but is completely screwed up so can't take pictures. It gets me all the chicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

This is one of the reasons I love it so much, photography is a very social job, when I am working I may often walk up to a group of strangers to take their pic and walk away laughing my head off, without the camera I'd be a random nutter;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Carrying a camera is an icebreaker. And while taking a second look at what you are carrying they are more likely to smile and say hello, or wish you luck. Its great.

Its like asking a guy fishing beside a river if anything is biting, we instantly understand what that person is after and we can relate in some way.

But my favourite thing about having a camera is its ability to make you not look mad, no matter what you are doing. I've lain down in the centre of a busy street with my camera and no one has blinked twice. If I were to do that just randomly, well in the very least there would be funny looks... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Effects wrote: »
    I have a broken Mamiya 7 II that I usually bring to parties. It makes noise but is completely screwed up so can't take pictures. It gets me all the chicks.
    yep, my rolleiflex garners a lot of attention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

I suppose what I'm wondering is, does it seem to anyone else that carrying a camera creates the assumption that you're of good character and not a threat or nuisance?

Definitely get a more positive response from the public when I'm covering press assignments. I get the "What's going on?" question a lot.

Gardaí are amusing though, most of the time they will turn their backs and fold their arms when I'm shooting in their direction. Amazing defensive body language.

At crime/collision scenes they are more laid back, never had a major problem with them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Is it in your head- yes, you are just a random nutter:) seriously though I agree it icould be the ice breaker, but I have a few other theories-Often the opening line is assuming you are a tourist and we are nicer to tourists than we are to locals...No?how about the theory that someone who is interested is interesting. A Random stranger looking bored is boring, but the same stranger taking pictures or doing some other pastime is much less boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe it's YOU?

You could be your normal grumpy self without your camera but when you have it on you then you're happier and people are more likely to engage with a happy person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

My Halina Prefect is a complete Old-Man-Magnet, they love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

When I'm shooting studio sessions I often have a lot of people behind me watching, it can be intimidating :) Does my ass look big(ger) in these jeans ?

Hugh_C wrote: »
    When I'm shooting studio sessions I often have a lot of people behind me watching, it can be intimidating :) Does my ass look big(ger) in these jeans ?

How so? I'd have assumed a studio would be indoors and away from everyone? Do you have a gigantic window? :p

CabanSail wrote: »
    Maybe it's YOU?

You could be your normal grumpy self without your camera but when you have it on you then you're happier and people are more likely to engage with a happy person.

Maybe it IS! :eek:

But I don't know. I don't think simply carrying a camera would make me much happier. Generally when I have a camera on me, I am more observant of potential compositions or such, but I don't think it'd make much difference wouldit?

Do you find you're a happier person with your gear?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Once again it's not the Gear but being out doing something that is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I'd quote the above if my phone could do that :( but to agree, being out and about with a camera and maybe some gear with the time and opportunity to take photos does brighten my day even if I don't take a single photo...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Yeah it's amazing the difference the camera makes. In a private group tour recently and didn't really get chatting to anyone until I took out the DSLR and suddenly there'd be nods and hellos. I didn't have an obvious camera bag and when it's not a small point and shoot it really seems to make a difference, people are suddenly very friendly.

Advertisement