Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offloading penalty points to people abroad

• 10-05-2011 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Based on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263327

What is the procedure if someone names a person from outside the state as the driver? Does a notice simply get sent abroad or is the matter investigated here with the owner first?

Just curious to get the official line on it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Based on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263327

What is the procedure if someone names a person from outside the state as the driver? Does a notice simply get sent abroad or is the matter investigated here with the owner first?

Cheers.

The nomination and the full size photo are sent to the issuing Garda for investigation. He called to the owner and identifies the owner. If they match the picture and were indeed driving then they are prosecuted for both speeding and a false declaration.

If they are not the person in the pic then the fine remains with the nominated driver. If they fail to pay then a summons is issued and served on next entry into the state if flagged on the GNIB system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Speeding would be a fixed Penalty I assume but false declaration would be a matter that could land you in court correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

NGA wrote: »
    The nomination and the full size photo are sent to the issuing Garda for investigation. He called to the owner and identifies the owner. If they match the picture and were indeed driving then they are prosecuted for both speeding and a false declaration.

every time a registered owner nominates an individual other than themselves as driving at the time the speeding offence took place, a Garda prints out a pic and calls around to the registered owners house to do a comparison of their face and the face in the pic? Every time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I suspect this only happens when a foreign resident is nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I suspect this only happens when a foreign resident is nominated.

I'd imagine so yeah. Anyway, will find out soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

No serving Gardai here are authorised to answer posts 'officially', we can only give personal opinions based on training and experience.

That said, I would trust NGA when it comes to traffic matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Of course. I think my question has been answered. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement