Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

I think it is still the same. I was in the Glendalough area and tried to climb up to Lugduff yesterday and it was very cold and very icy on the lower Lugduff. Tried to drive to the Hellfire Club via Sally's Gap and nearly got stuck on the road to Kippure so I think in that info Lug would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

jimmer123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like on the lug at the moment??

Several inches of hard packed icy snow near & at the summit this morning, but melting fast - at least lower down - by afternoon.

Edit: added photos of the summit at around 10 a.m. Sat

248409.jpg

248414.jpg

248415.jpg

And one of the Fraughan Rock Glen from mid-day.

248420.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

will be interesting to see how quickly this clears...the sunrise summit challenge is on next weekend, would think it won't happen if current conditions continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

darjeeling wrote: »
    Several inches of hard packed icy snow near & at the summit this morning, but melting fast - at least lower down - by afternoon.

Was up there today. Started accent on the zig zags at 2.30. From halfway up it was total snow. At the plateau and summit it was hard packed with no sign of any melt.

248381.jpg

anyone know how lug is looking at the moment? planning on heading up saturday morning if it's clear-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

anyone know how lug is looking at the moment? planning on heading up saturday morning if it's clear-ish
    Unless you can task a satellite for a real-time view, you should assume that conditions are still the same as shown in the last (recent) pic above.

Remember that (wind-chill apart), temperature drops by 1 degree C for every 300m height differential. That's 3C for every 1000ft in old money. Clear-ish is not enough of a decider, tbh, even if you are fully equipped and able to navigate in bad conditions (strong winds, low/no visibility, frozen ground etc).

Unless you are prepared for winter conditions, you would be better to wait for the high-level snow to disappear.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

well this week has been warmer and there's been some rain so I'd guess some of the snow is gone. Which will make it worse imo - trudging through slush is harder than walking on snow - especially on the way down.

well as i said in another thread, i never got to find out how conditions were up top. as a group we weren't really equipped for the weather conditions even where we were and we made a collective decision to head back down before we got out of our depth. underfoot was well manageable as far as we got anyway.
    the wind was extremely strong up there yesterday and i imagine it's worse today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Turned around myself on Sat just a little bit from the top, feck all visibility. Got a little lost on the way down which scared the crap out of me but managed to get our bearings and got down in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gunners13

Hey Guys,

Another Bank Holiday looming so I'm wondering what the conditions are like on the Lug at the moment. Is it accessible for amatures this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Gunners13 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Another Bank Holiday looming so I'm wondering what the conditions are like on the Lug at the moment. Is it accessible for amatures this weekend?
    The ground itself is fine. There are some patches of snow still left which tells you it is cold on top.

Advertisement