Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Chess Books in Dublin

• 10-05-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I will be in Dublin at the end of the week and intend buying some chess books suitable for a beginning player, is there any shop in particular that you could recommend?
    I will go to Easons and Chapters and Hodges Figgis anyway, but if there is somewhere else let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I think the stores you've mentioned are the best for getting good standard overall books that cover Opening, Middle and end-game with Strategy and Planning included (pins, skewers, forks, overloaded-pieces)

Unfortunately I havn't found any other bookshops that specilise in chess or have a large range of up-to-date books. I have been recommended that any books with Openings, variations or repertoires should be very recent and i should throw the others out.

For individual books Basic Chess by David Levens is everywhere and I still find useful. A repertoire book (so that you may have a shape to your openings but still make a choice of of an opening that suits you) maybe be Dubliner IM Sam E. Collins Understanding the Chess Openings
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Chess-Openings-Sam-Collins/dp/190460028X

In time you may want a book that specilises in the opening that suits you, or the beginner you are shopping for.

For other general chess thought and post-beginner thinking GM Neil McDonald has two books out on Planning and Strategy. I have the Planning one and I recommend just to push on what you want to do in a game and maybe predict what yor opponent is trying to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

you're probably better off looking on the internet, the major Dublin bookshops really don't carry a great range of chess books. One person who sells a bigger selection (and a good choice) of chess books is GM Alex Baburin, but he doesn't have a fixed shop, he normally has a stall at the various national tournaments.

@LiamMc - If you have opening books that go "out of date", unless you are 2400+ (in the top few thousand players in the world) you are probably buying the wrong opening books!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

1. NEVER shop in Easons for any books, you will be SAVAGED. Buy your books online and you'll save nearly half of your money. I've been burned too often by them, they're ridiculous.

2. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that there are no chess books in Ireland. You might find a choice of like 3-7 different chess books in a large shop like Easons, most of which you will discount immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

1. NEVER shop in Easons for any books, you will be SAVAGED. Buy your books online and you'll save nearly half of your money. I've been burned too often by them, they're ridiculous.

2. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that there are no chess books in Ireland. You might find a choice of like 3-7 different chess books in a large shop like Easons, most of which you will discount immediately.

I got the chess basics book by David Levens in Easons for 7 EUR which was ok. Mostly I buy books from BookDepository but since I was in Dublin I wanted to avail of the opportunity to look around. Thanks for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

groovie wrote: »
    I got the chess basics book by David Levens in Easons for 7 EUR which was ok. Mostly I buy books from BookDepository but since I was in Dublin I wanted to avail of the opportunity to look around. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I didn't mean that as a hard and fast rule, I've bought heaps of books there myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I have some for sale on adverts. Brand new €5 each plus post.

Advertisement