Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old sturggling to go to the toilet

Options
  • 10-05-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Our one year old daughter has been struggling to go to the toilet (number 2) about a month now. Feel so sorry for her pushing, her face can go quite red and there would be nothing there. She had been great at going – no problems at all. We thought at first it was because she was teething, but think we'll have to bring her to the doc.

Her diet is good, weetabix or readybreak in the mornings for her breakfast with small bit of toast. Pureed fruit, custard or rice and a yoghurt for her lunch and then for dinner we'd give her potatoes with veg mashed up or some days she'd eat a bit of pasta or spagetthi.

Anyone ever have this problem with their children.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Try some brown sugar and water mixed together... or a little pure orange juice, just a little now!

I know someone who's child had a problem when they were younger with going poo, she used to hang on to the curtains screaming as she couldn't get it out... turns out her anus was just a bit too small and they were talking about stretching it (the doctors that is), thankfully it didn't come to that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Try less starches and more fuit. See if that helps. Also cows milk can be consitipating for them or anything iron fortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi,

Our one year old daughter has been struggling to go to the toilet (number 2) about a month now. Feel so sorry for her pushing, her face can go quite red and there would be nothing there. She had been great at going – no problems at all. We thought at first it was because she was teething, but think we'll have to bring her to the doc.

Her diet is good, weetabix or readybreak in the mornings for her breakfast with small bit of toast. Pureed fruit, custard or rice and a yoghurt for her lunch and then for dinner we'd give her potatoes with veg mashed up or some days she'd eat a bit of pasta or spagetthi.

Anyone ever have this problem with their children.

Thanks

My lady had this form 18months to 2 and a half, she went every 4 days and cried, she would say 'its alll right its only poos' and cry her heart out.

Prune juice is supposed to be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

We had same issue, tuned out to be bananas! Anyway its gone now but for a while we gave our little man "Babylax" when he hadnt gone in a few days. It came out fairly quick after that with no real pain for the child, except for the slight uncomfort of having the insertion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My boy had that. We gave him less dairy and more fruit, especially grapes, and also watered prune juice. It helped somewhat, but on the advice of our doctor, ended up giving him a small dose of stool softener occasionally. It stopped being a problem at about two hyears old, with no noticeable change in diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Thanks for the replys, will try what was mentioned and hopefully it works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The sugar and water is the best.. 1 spoon of sugar for every ounce of water, i know it sounds a lot but its not something you give them all the time just a one off clear them out solution. :D Worked on every one of mine. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Bananas, although great for kids, can make them constipated. As mentioned above, try prunes (!) and make sure that she's getting enough water.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A friend of mine had a little boy with that problem a few years ago.. She used to have to Sit him in a warm bath for ages to 'loosen' him up so he could go :(

She took him to a chiropractor in the end and he cured it..

Advertisement