Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registration fee

• 10-05-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

have just been reading the GMIT website, and the section relating to new students. on it there is a piece about registration.

it says that in order to be registered as a student in the college and to attend classes you MUST have paid your registration fees. they say they do not accept installment payments of said fees, just lump sum. they also state that if you are awarded a grant for your fees from the local authority you must provide the letter than confirms your grant has been awarded, not a provisional one.

so: if you have not been awarded the grant by september (i.e. the letter confirming the grant has been awarded to you - i know payments don't start until october, but i will be going for BTEA and just applying to the VEC for the fees portion of the grant - i gather they expect you to pay the 2grand yourself and then they will refund you when the grant comes through.

this is what worries me, i don't know wether the fact that i am only looking for the fees portion of the grant will make my application faster or slower, but if i haven't my proper confirmation letter by registration (assuming i get in obv) then i am screwed. there is nowhere on this earth i can get the 2grand fees, even if it is going to be refunded to me. i am gathering there is no leeway on this whatsoever.

on the other hand if i have received my confirmation letter and i produce this at registration i assume this is the end of the matter. they know that the VEC will be paying the fees so they will deal with the VEC from then on. they won't come hounding me - if the VEC are slow in actually ponying up the money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

You better get your form filled in early so that your form is assessed early. You will have the letter in your hand at registration and no more worries;)
    However, if you only half finish the form and documents are missing you will more than likely be put at the end of the queue and then u are screwed:( You have been warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

gasp. mature student or not, finances conspire that i still live at home. where can i get a comprehensive list of which documentation (ie p60's, p45's etc) for my mother that they will require for the form, and for which year. so as i can get her to order them and be ahead of the curve.

cheers for the response btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

There is a student assistance fund in place for problems like this.

Read here http://www.gmit.ie/Life-at-GMIT/incoming-first-years/costs-financial-assistance.html

I know quite a few people who haven't been able to pay their fees because of grant problems (like Donegal didn't get their first payment until about December!), but as long as you have a reasonable explanation, the college aren't going to kick you out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PadraicEgan

thats exactly my worry about college!! i dony if i have to pay the 2000 at registration or not!!!eek.gifconfused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Loads of people last year didn't get their registration fees sorted in time for the start of the college year, as long as you tell them you've applied for it, they give you extra time and they did not in fact start cracking down on non payers until late October. Of course, the grant still hadn't come in by then for some people, so they ended up having to camp out in the grant office until they got their approval! But no one got excluded or thrown out due to not getting the grant in time!

• Advertisement

I have sent an email regarding our situations to the Registrar in Sligo IT (where I hope to be going next September). I will post here as soon as I get an reply, perhaps Monday or Tuesday. smile.gif

Reply from Deirdre Johnson, Registrar in nSligo IT:
    "We ask all students to pay the registration fee on registration, but because it is €2,000, we are considering letting students pay in two instalments this year. However, if you are sure that you will get the grant, you can be temporary registered pending confirmation from the VEC."
    I hope that most colleges will be taking these steps and that I have answered a few of your questions. biggrin.gif

Blueprint wrote: »
    Loads of people last year didn't get their registration fees sorted in time for the start of the college year, as long as you tell them you've applied for it, they give you extra time and they did not in fact start cracking down on non payers until late October. Of course, the grant still hadn't come in by then for some people, so they ended up having to camp out in the grant office until they got their approval! But no one got excluded or thrown out due to not getting the grant in time!

Exactamondo.

I wouldnt worry!

trying not to worry. trying to keep a level head. don't be needing the stress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

I was just wondering I herd of a friend of mine that if your on the back to education scheme with social welfare. Your college fee (€2000) is paid for your college year once your attending higer awards level (i.e) FETAC Level 6 ,7, 8 etc..... Can anybody help with answering this??

There is information about it on the Citizens Information website but abit confusing :confused:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

paddyuibh wrote: »
    I was just wondering I herd of a friend of mine that if your on the back to education scheme with social welfare. Your college fee (€2000) is paid for your college year once your attending higer awards level (i.e) FETAC Level 6 ,7, 8 etc..... Can anybody help with answering this??

There is information about it on the Citizens Information website but abit confusing :confused:

Thanks

if your claiming BTEA (back to education allowance), then you need to apply to your local VEC/county council (depending on what level you are doing) for your registration fee of €2000 to be paid.

plenty of information here, and you can even apply online or download the forms from here along with the guidelines.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41 elizuch

thats exactly my worry about college!! i dony if i have to pay the 2000 at registration or not!!!eek.gifconfused.gif
    i was in college yesterday and asked if i am waiting for the grant do i have to pay the fee , they said no i just have to explain that i am waiting for it :)

if your claiming BTEA (back to education allowance), then you need to apply to your local VEC/county council (depending on what level you are doing) for your registration fee of €2000 to be paid.

plenty of information here, and you can even apply online or download the forms from here along with the guidelines.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html
    Ok Thanks RoyalMarine,

I think if I goto my local welfare office aswell they'll tell me what I need to hand or might have the relevent forms. I do know thou you can apply for either maintanence grant or allowence when on back to education.

One more thing is the college fee for 3rd level Institiue €1500 or €2000? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

its €2000. it was raised from €1500 last year to €2000 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Irish Hitman

Well, just a quick thing about the registering. Am i the only one who didnt get a letter or something from GMIT ? All my friends that are going to other colleges got theirs last week :/

Well, just a quick thing about the registering. Am i the only one who didnt get a letter or something from GMIT ? All my friends that are going to other colleges got theirs last week :/
    i didnt get it too :(

well i'm not going to GMIT i'm going to ITT but i haven't gotten mine yet either. on the website it says sometime after the 31st which was today, so hopefully have mine soon. do you know what day you are due at college to register

hdowney wrote: »
    well i'm not going to GMIT i'm going to ITT but i haven't gotten mine yet either. on the website it says sometime after the 31st which was today, so hopefully have mine soon. do you know what day you are due at college to register
    1st year ( as i am ) register 12th :)

elizuch wrote: »

oooh lucky you. i register on the 8th then my first day of classes is the 12th :o

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    oooh lucky you. i register on the 8th then my first day of classes is the 12th :o
    are u a first year too?:D i cant wait :O

So 1st years in GMIT register that date?? On the site its says the 5th or something i was told?

So 1st years in GMIT register that date?? On the site its says the 5th or something i was told?
    its defo the 12th :)

its defo the 12th :)

Ok sound :) So do i have to do anything before that?

are u a first year too?:D i cant wait :O

yup ickle firsty again me :D:D

Ok sound :) So do i have to do anything before that?
    ye register online if ur in gmit :)

ye register online if ur in gmit :)

Sorry another question now, can you give us a link to this registering thing...? :)

it wont be open till the 5th of the september, and u will need for it ur user id and password but i think we shud get it in the post :D

it wont be open till the 5th of the september, and u will need for it ur user id and password but i think we shud get it in the post :D
    SOUND LAD :D You're a blessing in disguise :D

• Advertisement

SOUND LAD :D You're a blessing in disguise :D
    lad..ekkkk caugh i am a girl :D haha :D

lad..ekkkk caugh i am a girl :D haha :D

ha sorry SOUND LASS ;) I say lad to every one :)

ha sorry SOUND LASS ;) I say lad to every one :)
    owh its alri i can forgive u so :D

Advertisement