Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny City, this weekend......

Options
  • 10-05-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

So, I will be sampling the delights of Kilkenny City all this weekend. I've been looking up whats going on and it'd the usual stuff. Some regular live music, some clubs etc.

But is there anything a bit different going on music wise? Any bars in particular that play good music? I mean more alternative than mainstream.

Any decent gigs?

Also, where is McSorley's in relation to Langtons or Morriseys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Funkfield wrote: »
    So, I will be sampling the delights of Kilkenny City all this weekend. I've been looking up whats going on and it'd the usual stuff. Some regular live music, some clubs etc.

But is there anything a bit different going on music wise? Any bars in particular that play good music? I mean more alternative than mainstream.

Any decent gigs?

Also, where is McSorley's in relation to Langtons or Morriseys?
    Depends what you mean by alternative tbh.

Mcsorleys is just a few doors up from langtons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Depends what you mean by alternative tbh.

Mcsorleys is just a few doors up from langtons

Cheers for that. I know the bigger pubs, just pretty sure I have never been in McSorleys before.

Alternative would be anything from punk, rock, indie, metal etc etc.

As opposed to general dance and chart muck.

I remember the Pumphouse having a fairly decent set of tunes last time I was in.

It's beggining to fill up with kids now though :( I'm 22 and at times i feel old in there.

Mcsorleys used to be dempseys at the corner where you go to the "club" part of langtons

It's beggining to fill up with kids now though :( I'm 22 and at times i feel old in there.

Mcsorleys used to be dempseys at the corner where you go to the "club" part of langtons

Might give the Pumphouse a miss so. I know Dempsey's. Thats grand.

Don't suppose there is anything resembling a rock/metal bar around?

Or even any gigs this weekend?

Funkfield wrote: »
    Might give the Pumphouse a miss so. I know Dempsey's. Thats grand.

Don't suppose there is anything resembling a rock/metal bar around?

Or even any gigs this weekend?
    No the rock metal bar type thing closed down. Most of us just go pump house then to the set these days

• Advertisement

No the rock metal bar type thing closed down. Most of us just go pump house then to the set these days

I see Recoil is on in The Set on Saturday. Is that a club or a band? Any idea?

edit: I see they are a band. Anyone know if they are any good? or what they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ryan's Bar on Friary st is probably the closest you'll get to a 'rock' bar and they often have bands in there. It's a lively spot, and probably closest to what you're after.

McSorleys, from what I see, tends to be more DJ orientated, though Sunday afternoons in there in the beer garden are great... excellent mix of tunes. they seem to have a lot of dance music though

The Set is probably your best bet for a club.... I would be rather surprised if any band they got in were sh!te... they tend to do things propelry in there, and the DJ sets are fairly indie orientated as well.

The pumphouse is fairly mainstream these days, lots of squeaky electro house and gammy remixes played upstairs on Saturdays. I still like it though. Sunday nights are a totally different vibe in there to saturdays.

Ryan's Bar on Friary st is probably the closest you'll get to a 'rock' bar and they often have bands in there. It's a lively spot, and probably closest to what you're after.

McSorleys, from what I see, tends to be more DJ orientated, though Sunday afternoons in there in the beer garden are great... excellent mix of tunes. they seem to have a lot of dance music though

The Set is probably your best bet for a club.... I would be rather surprised if any band they got in were sh!te... they tend to do things propelry in there, and the DJ sets are fairly indie orientated as well.

The pumphouse is fairly mainstream these days, lots of squeaky electro house and gammy remixes played upstairs on Saturdays. I still like it though. Sunday nights are a totally different vibe in there to saturdays.
    I blame the other pubs not allowing kids in anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Big Gun's in Ryan's on Sat night..Their name will tell you what type music they play.

stratowide wrote: »
    Big Gun's in Ryan's on Sat night..Their name will tell you what type music they play.
    Not really??

The who. Doesn't exactly tell you what music they play if you've never heard of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 roller6666

big guns play classic rock/acdc etc.theres a great ska band called bocs social playing a free gig in cleeres.you could head from there to hear dj davy holland playing a top selection of alternative tunes in the set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Big guns, there I was thinking that Ryan would be hosting the 1812 overture.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4T5IBB4JQo

Advertisement