Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you won the Euromillions....

• 10-05-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Based on this comment:
    Nevermind_ wrote: »
    this was tried already in ennis about 8 or 9 years ago by derek o connor when he had grace macarthys. Spent a lot of money kitting it out properly with all the tvs etc but it failed miserably.
    i wouldnt open a pub in this economy even if i won euromillions!

If you won the Euromillions (i think its 100 million tonight) and wanted to give something back to your community in Clare, what would you spend it on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd move somewhere foreign and spend it all on cocaine and hookers. If I'd 100 million round here the whole county would be hassling me for money for cats born with lupus or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I'd buy my house and the one next door.(That would put money in the Councils coffers) Then my children would have a home each while I ran wild around the Greek Islands :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Based on this comment:

If you won the Euromillions (i think its 100 million tonight) and wanted to give something back to your community in Clare, what would you spend it on?
    A few hurlers!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A big wall on the Limerick border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

A maternity hospital so that at least our future hurlers would actually be BORN in Clare?
    (with a big big wall all around the hospital to keep non Clare folk out) :D

I don't know myself

I'd like to do something for the town of Ennis or even for County Clare if i had those kind of funds, I was born & bred here after all

I just think that no matter what the money was spent on it would be ruined within 12 months :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A maternity hospital so that at least our future hurlers would actually be BORN in Clare?
    (with a big big wall all around the hospital to keep non Clare folk out) :D

(
    I'd probably give the good people of Clare (particularly West Clare people) back their 24 hour A&E department. Unfortunately, the HSE seem to think that Clare people only have accidents and heart attacks during the day time.

A big wall on the Limerick border
    Ah, I have to object on two grounds;

1: Thomond Park
    2: We need to use their hospital (or to quote the HSE, the "Centre of Excellence").

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

do up the west clare railway as a cycle / walking route..... the one in mayo is a huge success... would be great to have a route all the way from ennis to kilkee, via corofin, ennistymon, lahinch etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Finally build that new Ennis National school. Brand new school plus plenty of construction jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Finally build that new Ennis National school. Brand new school plus plenty of construction jobs.

Ennis National School (the current building) was built in the late 70's which makes it 30 something years old

I'd rather give the money to the CBS where the kids are attending some classes in a building that was built before the famine!:eek:

Its a pity the children & local residents around Ennis NS didn't take better care of their brand new school when they got it, if they had they might not need a new building now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Don_Corleone

Ennis National School (the current building) was built in the late 70's which makes it 30 something years old

I'd rather give the money to the CBS where the kids are attending some classes in a building that was built before the famine!:eek:

Its a pity the children & local residents around Ennis NS didn't take better care of their brand new school when they got it, if they had they might not need a new building now

Just because one building is older than another doesnt mean the newer building is of better quality.
    The problem with the national is it was built very very badly to cater for a much smaller number of students than it presently does.
    The school literally has no insulation whatsoever, constantly has leaking roofs, plumbing problems and a major problem with condensation and dampness which is a direct threat to the health and safety of students and staff.
    If you know a child who attends the national you can literally smell the dampness off them when they come home, its disgusting.
    If a child had any sort of respitory issues the department of education could very easily be sued.

Also how on earth are the the local residents and children to blame for this?
    The schools problems are not due to vandalism or lack of maintenance, just bad design, overcrowding and extremely shoddy construction where corners were cut everywhere.
    Also the cost of retrofitting and refurbishing the national was estimated to be much higher than a new build would be.

also I dont see parents, students and teachers of the cbs organising and marching to try and get a new school or improvements so it cant be as bad.

I must admit that it has been years since I lived in Ennis but my parents and extended family live there so I feel that I'm fairly well informed about the area.

However, I'm truly shocked and upset to read this statement,

How in heaven's name can children and local residents be to blame for a damp and decaying building :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's a horrifically badly designed building alright. It's freezing in winter and boiling in summer. The CBS building is pretty decent even if it's old.

I doubt overcrowding is going to be a major problem in the future though. We just hit a bit of a spike of immigration there for a while. People aren't having that many kids nowadays I'd say the stress in that regard will decline, certainly if people keep emigrating like they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

How on earth are the kids and residents being blamed for this!!!! Seriously!!! SO they are to blame for the overcrowding, dampness etc. Can you expand on this?

Here is an extract from the Dáil record - June 2008.

"When our spokesperson on education and science, Deputy Brian Hayes, recently visited Ennis national school at our invitation, he was appalled at what he saw. This school was declared by the INTO in 2003 as substandard on health and safety grounds. Little has changed in the intervening five years.

Located at a very dangerous junction, it is more like a concentration camp in appearance than the capital town’s primary place of education for its children. It is a nightmare, with 16 prefabs littered all over the yard. A musty smell greets one at the entrance and the flat roof leaks with every downpour. These are Third World conditions indeed.

Children and teachers are forced to battle all types of weather to access their classes. I do not know how the principal, Gary Stack, his teachers and pupils put up with this situation.

The Department’s school buildings programme is a shambles. This school was originally built in 1971-2 as a 16 classroom school with 40 teachers. The population of Ennis increased from 1996 to 2006 at twice the rate of that of the country as a whole and now stands at 28,704.

In the Ennis area alone, there are more than 70 prefabs in use, which is a disgrace. The Department is spending €35 million on rent for temporary accommodation while conditions at schools like Ennis national school are deteriorating fast. In February this year, permission was sought and obtained from the Department for two new teachers at the school. However, the Minister is refusing to fund the €300 weekly payment required to provide a shared prefab to accommodate the teachers. The reason given for not funding the prefab is “the school has not shown an accommodation need.” The Minister for Education and Science, Deputy Batt O’Keeffe, should come down from his ivory tower in Dublin and visit Ennis national school and see if he could work in these conditions.

The penny-pinching of his Department means that these two teachers are forced to work in the school corridors.

This would not happen even in Mugabe’s Zimbabwe. The Department’s copy book is blotted".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd open my own dog pound, adopt every single dog in the old one, close it down and make sure every dog is rehomed instead of just being put down.
    And invest in a proper neuter and release program.
    And make sure that registration, neutering and chipping of dogs is properly enforced, in some US states there is a proper police force responsible for this, and fines and jail for persistent offenders.
    A lot of people here do love their pets, but an awful lot should just have theirs taken away.
    And minimum 10 years prison an E10k fine for anyone involved in dog fighting.
    Repeat offenders 20 years and E20k.

Highest number of dogs put down in Clare:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/struggling-shelters-forced-to-put-down-10000-dogs-last-year-1820413.html

I'd open my own dog pound, adopt every single dog in the old one, close it down and make sure every dog is rehomed instead of just being put down.
    And invest in a proper neuter and release program.
    And make sure that registration, neutering and chipping of dogs is properly enforced, in some US states there is a proper police force responsible for this, and fines and jail for persistent offenders.
    A lot of people here do love their pets, but an awful lot should just have theirs taken away.
    And minimum 10 years prison an E10k fine for anyone involved in dog fighting.
    Repeat offenders 20 years and E20k.

Highest number of dogs put down in Clare:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/struggling-shelters-forced-to-put-down-10000-dogs-last-year-1820413.html
    "The highest number of dogs were destroyed in Co Clare last year (2008), with 1,222 -- or two-thirds -- put down after entering the pound" - Irish Independent

That is so depressing, I hope you win the Euromillions Dr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Just shows the standard of workmanship between 1840 and 1970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Based on this comment:

A shapey fiend:)

Advertisement