Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with dogs being stolen lately...

• 10-05-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Posted on behalf of a friend of a friend:

My friend's dogs were stolen from her house Sunday 8th May 2011 in Clondalkin. The are Chihuahuas, one is white and the other is brown, their names are Boris and Chloe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

lrushe wrote: »
    Posted on behalf of a friend of a friend:

My friend's dogs were stolen from her house Sunday 8th May 2011 in Clondalkin. The are Chihuahuas, one is white and the other is brown, their names are Boris and Chloe.

this has happened a few ppl i know, but theirs were staffies and larger dogs, and as far as i no they are been taken for dog fighting, poss not the case with your friend as they are small dogs.
    are they pure breds? maybe someone trying to make money of them.
    has you friend got the dogs chipped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i seen the add on done deal looking for their dogs, but in all fairness says dogs went missing from garden between 3pm and 10 pm. this is a long time to leave two little dogs out in garden for without checking them. esp been a small breed. i know when i leave house my dogs are always brought in even though as far as i know know one can acess my garden but i just would not chance it.
    I hope they find the poor little things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm not too sure of the in's and out's of it, my friend had it posted on her facebook page for another friend. As I have a Chihuahua myself and live nearby it hit home for me especially as I was under the impression the dogs were in her house (where my dog would be when I'm not home) when they were stolen (maybe not the case after all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

the add has now been changed, have left out the gdn part. Dont really matter anyhows just hope they are found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Friend of mine had her dog stolen from her house (she was only gone 30 minutes) it is a white husky type dog (sorry I'm not a doggy person)
    Anyway the patio door was broken in, dog, dog bowl & lead all nicked
    But clever doggy escaped thieves and led them a merry chase around the estate I reckon because she was found hiding in the shed in one of the neighbours gardens :)

What can you do to prevent this kind of thing? Nothing really
    Back door was locked the broke the entire glass
    Side gate was locked
    House is alarmed but sensors were deactivated indoors due to the dog being there
    The breaking of the door glass didn't set off the alarm not sure what the story is there
    Anyway she now has to get someone to mind the dog every time she leaves the house even if she's just nipping to the shop for 5 minutes :eek:
    Its crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

It is true, people are given a false sense of security when their dog is indoors but the truth is most pedigree dogs are worth more than your average flat screen TV so if thieves are willing to break into a house for a TV they will do it for a dog. Other than leaving them in daycare or bringing them to work with you (not possible for most people) you are really at the mercy of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Friend of mine had her dog stolen from her house (she was only gone 30 minutes) it is a white husky type dog (sorry I'm not a doggy person)
    Anyway the patio door was broken in, dog, dog bowl & lead all nicked
    But clever doggy escaped thieves and led them a merry chase around the estate I reckon because she was found hiding in the shed in one of the neighbours gardens :)

What can you do to prevent this kind of thing? Nothing really
    Back door was locked the broke the entire glass
    Side gate was locked
    House is alarmed but sensors were deactivated indoors due to the dog being there
    The breaking of the door glass didn't set off the alarm not sure what the story is there
    Anyway she now has to get someone to mind the dog every time she leaves the house even if she's just nipping to the shop for 5 minutes :eek:
    Its crazy!

Wow it's crazy the lengths they go to. :mad:
    What puzzles me is there are so many dogs both purebred and mixed breed in pounds and shelters and being sold already, where is the market for stolen dogs? Ok for fighting and as bait, but to be sold on again they can't be advertised through normal routes (donedeal, gumtree, buy and sell, ads in local papers) so how do they sell them and who to?

It's a pity there isin't some kind of national database for stolen dogs and that the gardaí don't take it seriously.

It's not only confined to dogs either, there's been a lot of sheep thefts out in my area recently too.

Does anyone actually have any experience of those anti-theft collars? http://www.retrievatracking.com/domestic_pets_loss_theft.aspx It's a pity there so expensive although I guess if you added up how much you spend on not really needed accessories you'd probably find you'd spend that much on new collars, treats, beds, etc already.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I think the market for a lot of the stolen dogs is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Cdub wrote: »
    I think the market for a lot of the stolen dogs is in the UK.

And the thieves/couriers happen to be travelling over there anyway for their big fat weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

**Vai** wrote: »
    And the thieves/couriers happen to be travelling over there anyway for their big fat weddings.
    agree compltely, alot of the time it is them(but not always). every time there is a funeral for one of them around this area you hear of dogs going missin, last one i cought 2 of them routing through a skip next door:rolleyes: iv a german shepard and a pointer in the back garden so good job i caught them i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I still have no idea where all these "stolen" dogs are going.

Dogs aren't that hard to come by, our pounds are destroying thousands of dogs each year - they're essentially "worthless" - ask the ISCPA.

An adult dog in Ireland (unless it's a registered pedigree, or has special training such as a gundog) seems to have almost no value.

A stolen dog (even if it has some form of pedigree) can't be used for pedigree breeding - nor sold as such. And anyway, who are these knowledgeable thieves? I really don't much about dogfights, how many happen in Ireland each year and how many dogs are killed in "warm-ups", but I'm guessing it's not actually that many, even these sickos that do this can't be stupid, why risk breaking into residential houses with pounds full?

I'm sure that many "stolen" dogs are dogs that are escaping themselves, also, anyone leaving dogs outside in back gardens for long periods of time - can you absolutely be sure they're not barking? You've no idea how crazy dogs barking hour after hour, day after day can drive your neighbours - easily enough for them to jump over the wall and sort out the "problem" for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

pH wrote: »
    I still have no idea where all these "stolen" dogs are going.

Dogs aren't that hard to come by, our pounds are destroying thousands of dogs each year - they're essentially "worthless" - ask the ISCPA.

An adult dog in Ireland (unless it's a registered pedigree, or has special training such as a gundog) seems to have almost no value.

A stolen dog (even if it has some form of pedigree) can't be used for pedigree breeding - nor sold as such. And anyway, who are these knowledgeable thieves? I really don't much about dogfights, how many happen in Ireland each year and how many dogs are killed in "warm-ups", but I'm guessing it's not actually that many, even these sickos that do this can't be stupid, why risk breaking into residential houses with pounds full?

I'm sure that many "stolen" dogs are dogs that are escaping themselves, also, anyone leaving dogs outside in back gardens for long periods of time - can you absolutely be sure they're not barking? You've no idea how crazy dogs barking hour after hour, day after day can drive your neighbours - easily enough for them to jump over the wall and sort out the "problem" for themselves.

That's what I was thinking. There are so many dogs in pounds of all shapes, sizes and breeds why not just walk into a pound with the price of a release fee (Is it the price of a licence? Whatever it is Im sure it's still considerably less than them paying out to buy a purebred dog) and take the dog for whatever reasons they want them all for, whether it be fighting, breeding or selling on. Why risk breaking into someone's house to take one unless of course there is a particular reason they want that particular dog.

Of course I am in no way advocating that they do this, at the end of the day being put down in a pound is kinder than being used as a fighting or bait dog. Im just trying to wrap my head around their reasoning. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

With the amount being stolen I don't think it would be long before pounds got onto them if they were in and out all the time.

Advertisement