Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breakfast....

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

im not a huge fan of breakfast always getting given out to for not eating it so i ask for your most inspiring breakfast ever!!!!! fruit, bacon, whatever it is :D i need something to look forward to baking/cooking in the mornings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

American style waffles or pancakes, with butter and syrup, fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i need to invest in a waffle iron. badly...ont like syrup though really...strawberries maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Didn't like the syrup either at first, but it grows on you.

Can't replicate them over here like they are in the States, don't know what the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

A poached egg on sauted asparagus with some fresh wholegrain bread. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

lots of fruit, apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, grapes, kiwis all chopped up in a bowl with yougurt poured over it, v tasty:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Pancakes topped with smoked bacon, cream cheese and maple syrup (the maple 'flavoured' golden syrup from Lyles has a great consistency)

NYOMZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and pea shoots on brown bread.

I love Supervalu's 48% fruit muesli, it's lovely.

For a fancy breakfast I go for Cloud Souffles (http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2009/12/nuvolone-cloud-souffle.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Eggs Benedict. *drools* Kinda hard to make yourself, but Harry's in Dun Laoghaire does it amazingly well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Two Weetabix. Grate an apple over and top with chopped almonds, then splash milk all over.

Poached egg on a slice of brown soda bread.

Nasi goreng.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Scrambled eggs with truffle oil.

Bacon, eggs, sausage, tomatoes, beans, chips, cuppa tea, two rounds of toast.

Kedgeree made with just tumeric, cayenne and cardamon for spices.

Kippers.

Oatmeal coated fried herrings and bacon with lots of buttery sliced bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Winter breakfast - when making porridge, chop an apple and add this plus cinnamon while it is cooking, so the apple softens. Sultanas too if you like. Add sugar, milk, cream - whatever you like at the end.

Another combination is with banana, walnuts and maple syrup.

I make my porridge with milk not water - don't know how it tastes with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Two Weetabix. Grate an apple over and top with chopped almonds, then splash milk all over.

Poached egg on a slice of brown soda bread.

Nasi goreng.

I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEE NASI GORENG!!!!!!!!! sorry.....just had to be said....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

lallychops wrote: »
    i need to invest in a waffle iron. badly...ont like syrup though really...strawberries maybe

I must get a waffle iron too, I've been saying it for years at this stage!

Usually for breakfast I'll just have porridge with whatever topping I'm in the mood for - raisins and brown sugar, or honey, or syrup, or whatever fruit happens to be about (this morning was strawberries). Recently I had porridge with Baileys which was gorgeous, and I hear people sometimes make whiskey porridge which I have yet to try but looking forward to it!

If I'm in the mood/have more time to make breakfast, I'll have pancakes/french toast with bacon and maple syrup, or Eggs Benedict, and I also adore just beans on toast with hash browns and black pudding. If I'm in a HUGE rush I'll just have a bowl of cereal or muesli.

If I could eat breakfast food for every meal, I'd be pretty pleased with myself, it really is my favourite meal of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Cheese on Toast with few glugs of Worcestershire sauce on top
    Weetabix with honey and cinnamon
    Cornflakes (has to be kellogs) with brown sugar
    French Toast (or as we call it fried eggy bread)
    Boiled egg with fingers of toast
    Porridge (half milk/water) honey and cinnamon
    Sugar Puffs....:o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I literally cant stomach breakfast when I wake up, but have recently gotten into the habit of having some around 9-10 am(I start work around 8). 3-4 eggs, broken into a cup and beaten, 1.5 mins in microwave = instant scrambled egg. Add a dash of pepper, and you have a gorgeous nutritious breakfast, that is quick to do.

That keeps me going until lunch, but I am pleasantly hungry for lunch when it comes. Cant recommend it enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Porridge
    Crunchy nut with ice cold milk
    Toast with or without scrambled egg (I like a scallion/spring onion in the egg, gives it a nice flavour) and somes rashers and/or sausages in toast.
    Toasted sandwich (I like ham, cheese and onion, not always keen on onion for breakfast though)
    Galtee sliced cheese on toasted brown bread (not brown sliced bread, has to be a brown cake, that you can cut yourself. Doesn't have to be Galtee cheese either
    Baked fry. Sausages/rashers/mushrooms/whatever else you want all cooked in the oven.
    Ryvita crackers with ham and/or cheese on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Sesame seed bagel toasted, bacon, tomatoes, cream cheese = YUM!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Breakfast salad.
    I use rocket leaves. Bacon grilled and cut up small.
    The grease (for want of a more delicious sounding word) works quite well as a dressing.

par-boil and fry potatoes in butter and crumble in some black pudding and mix the salad.

Top with a poached egg.
    Hungry just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Normally on weekdays my breakfast consists of a bowl of porridge with honey, or a toasted bagel with a cup of tea. This is generally because I don't have enough time to make a big breakfast. At the weekend though it's a different story.

Some of my favourites include:

1. Full Irish - You can't really beat this. Sausages, rashers, black & white pudding, grilled tomato, fried eggs, beans (sometimes), and either toast or a couple of slices of batch!

2. Eggs Benedict - I love this one, but rarely make it. It's more of a treat that you have if you go out to breakfast/brunch, or when you're staying in a hotel.

3. Pancakes (sweet) - The O/H loves them with simply a bit of butter spread on them and some sugar sprinkled on top. I like them with strawberry jam spread over them.

4. Pancakes (savoury) - Accompanied by a couple of pieces of crispy bacon, and half a banana (sliced down the middle and fried in some butter and brown sugar) and then some maple syrup drizzled over them.

5. Sausage Sambo - Sometimes there's nothing as good as a couple of slices of fresh white bread, buttered; some Superquinn sausages (grilled to perfection!) and a little mustard & ketchup spread over the bread. All washed down with a mug of tea!

What do you like to do for breakfast when you have a bit of time to put into it - ie. at the weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I got this in Oz once, it was delish!

Slice of toast topped with avocado, smoked salmon, poached egg, sprinkled with black pepper! Delish :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I like to get a thick piece of white bread, cut a circle out of it with an upside down pint glass,soak it in beaten eggs and make a round piece of French toast fried in butter,on top of that a thick slice of black pudding fried but still soft in the middle (def not dried out) and on top of that a nice runny poached egg.

The kids in the house love me making thin crepes topped with melted butter and honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i never used to really like scrambled eggs, because i always had them dry/stiff.
    last guy i dated used to scramble them perfectly, not exactly runnny, but still soft. that on a slice of toast with loads of fresh ground black pepper is one of my favourites.

a fan of eggs benny and pancakes with bacon/maple syrup too but never get around to it. i usually dont bother with breakfast and have a big lunch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not too different from another I read there.

Slice of white buttered each side (There must be a handy way to do this without ripping it apart, no?), grab a shot glass from the night before (cleaned if that's to your liking), cut out a circle in the middle. Throw it on a pan and crack on egg in the middle of it. Slip over once the egg gets it's colour. Then slap a load of black pepper on it.

Recipe from a certain "V"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Best Eggs Benedict i've ever had was in the monart, worth going there just for the breakfast alone !!

I love french toast - but had it in america and they make them sweet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

masala dosa is very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Kilbroney Park Cafe

called in there this morning coming from the hospital in Newry,
    got a breakfast in the Cafe there 7 items with tea or coffee £2 95 before 11 am £3 95 after. Egg sausage bacon beans soda bread potato bread and hash brown best value i have had in donkeys years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Shelga wrote: »
    Eggs Benedict. *drools* Kinda hard to make yourself, but Harry's in Dun Laoghaire does it amazingly well! :D

If you're ever in Cork try Liberty Grill for Eggs Benedict! UNREAL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

barney4001 wrote: »
    Kilbroney Park Cafe

called in there this morning coming from the hospital in Newry,
    got a breakfast in the Cafe there 7 items with tea or coffee £2 95 before 11 am £3 95 after. Egg sausage bacon beans soda bread potato bread and hash brown best value i have had in donkeys years

At that price, I'd seriously question the quality of the ingredients. I'm thinking awful mushy , cheap sausages.
    You don't mention that it was actually nice, just cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Breakfast smoothy:

Handful porridge oats in the blender, add a cup of apple juice. Leave for a few mins while you go about your morning. Then add a couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt, and frozen raspberries or blueberries. To really get into it, add a 30g scoop of whey or soy protein powder. Blend. Drink slowly (I take mine to work and sip all morning.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

At that price, I'd seriously question the quality of the ingredients. I'm thinking awful mushy , cheap sausages.
    You don't mention that it was actually nice, just cheap.

Its as good as you will get anywhere in ireland,and it was very good

Advertisement