Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop motion animation - software used?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

My son is a big fan of stop motion animation particularly using Lego figures t create various scenes. However he would like to know what s/w is best used for editing the animations (and maybe adding sound fx etc?). Is there anything out there suitable for a 13 yr old to get his head around?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

hi,
    For an animation assignment in my college we used Dragon StopMotion, iStopMotion is another for Mac.
    what these do is take the image form your camera, or web cam and let you take pictures with the computer. They then export these pictures into video clips for you to use. For simple editing you can probably use something free with your computer, like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

have used stopmotion pro, which has a trail version, windows movie maker allows you to edit easily, and you can record sound fx or get them off the net. Anyhows a 13 year old will get his head round it amazingly quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

you can get monkey jam for free to if you can get any of those, you would just need to import all the photo's of the sd card for example and they are listed down the time line in frames, then you just hit preview to watch it play and you can export it as a movie file

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ABireland

sombaht wrote: »
    My son is a big fan of stop motion animation particularly using Lego figures t create various scenes. However he would like to know what s/w is best used for editing the animations (and maybe adding sound fx etc?). Is there anything out there suitable for a 13 yr old to get his head around?

What OS is the computer running on (Windows, Macintosh,...)?

I'm on Mac and I used to do some stopmotion and frame by frame animation. I used iStopmotion which NoodleWorm mentionned above to create short clips with my images.
    But you can't add sound yet, you have to import the clips in a video editing software like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie (both of them are native s/w on Windows and Mac).
    That's for the no-fee way.

Else you can purchase a program like Macromedia Flash, Firework, ... Those are expensive and more sophisticated. But with some tutorials and training, here's what a 14 yo teen posted on an animation forum I'm in:
    http://oi52.tinypic.com/153qlgm.jpg

By the way, you can do both picture editing, video editing, add sounds and stuff on those expensive s/w.

Advertisement