Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has UCC degree classification changed in the last 10-15 years?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can anyone help me to clear this up as I have become very confused.
    I have read somewhere that UCC degree classifications have changed in the past 10-15 years, so that a 2:2 used to be from 55% - 60% but that is now from 50% - 60%.
    Is this true as I haven't been able to find any more information to back this up?
    I graduated in 1998 with a pass grade, although I'm not sure of what actual percentage I got and I am now wondering if it is possible that I got, lets say 52%, if that was originally considered a pass, but could now possible be a 2:2, this is probably just wishful thinking as I am hoping to do a PGCE in the Uk and the lowest grade they will accept is a 2:2, which is 50-60% over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

As far as I know a 2.2 is 50-59%, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 megryan49

Thanks, and yes it is now, but i was hoping to find out if that had changed since 1998, or has this always been the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I don't really know because I never went there, but from listening to friends talking about their results, it sounds like the grade boundaries can be different for different courses. Your best bet is to contact your department in UCC and ask them what your grade is, being very clear about when you obtained it, because I've never heard of peoples grades changing after they've been awarded. Not saying it couldn't happen though. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

megryan49 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me to clear this up as I have become very confused.
    I have read somewhere that UCC degree classifications have changed in the past 10-15 years, so that a 2:2 used to be from 55% - 60% but that is now from 50% - 60%.
    Is this true as I haven't been able to find any more information to back this up?
    I graduated in 1998 with a pass grade, although I'm not sure of what actual percentage I got and I am now wondering if it is possible that I got, lets say 52%, if that was originally considered a pass, but could now possible be a 2:2, this is probably just wishful thinking as I am hoping to do a PGCE in the Uk and the lowest grade they will accept is a 2:2, which is 50-60% over there.

Around 2003/4 the grading system changed so as to harmonise with the other universities.

Someone posted the modern grading system above, but the old system was >70% 1H, 62-69% 2H1, 55-61% 2H2, >50% 3H (though only some colleges/faculties award the grade of 3H).

In your case, your academic transcripts will show a grade class based on the old system, so I would imagine that you will not be able to argue that you would have a higher grade under the new system. It's worth a try, though.

Also, if you have years of work experience in the intervening period, that should count as a plus.

Write to the admissions office of the college you are intending to apply to, as well as to the course coordinator, arguing that the grading system has changed in UCC and you would be in a different grade band under the new system. Grade inflation is a major problem in the UK so the relevant people will be more than aware that a grade (number) achieved in the mid-nineties does not necessarily correlate to a grade achieved in e.g. the last 5 years.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 megryan49

Oh thanks a million Jeremy H, that is exactly what I was looking for but I couldn't find confirmation any where.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

megryan49 wrote: »
    Oh thanks a million Jeremy H, that is exactly what I was looking for but I couldn't find confirmation any where.

I don't have written evidence of this or a weblink (though I am a UCC staff member and was around at the time of the change and know it to be true). If you email exams@ucc.ie they should be able to help you out.

Advertisement