Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up for good. (or at least for 4 years)

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I started smoking just before my 15th birthday. I'm now nearing 23 and am still a smoker. Most of the time I smoke what we call 'Shag', which is just roll up tobacco. I started smoking this because the price of normal cigs went through the roof. Once i started i paid 3,25 for a pack of 20 cigs, now it is 5 euros or more.
    This summer I will be moving to Ireland and will be there for a year, or possibly 4 years. If it goes well I might just be staying there permanently. Cigarette prices are so high there that I just want to quit before moving. The cost of cigarettes is not the only motivation. I;m sick of waking up coughing, or getting chest pains after a night on the town and going through an entire pack.

Any tips that were exceptionally useful to ex-smokers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

I will be off the smokes for 5 years on May 21st. I was a very heavy smoker going through 50-60 cigarettes before I went on tipped cigars. I then smoked 15-20 of them a day. Thats the history lesson over.
    I had tried everything from hypnosis to patches and gum and all failed miserably.
    After a bad chest infection my doctor suggested Zyban. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

It worked for me when nothing else did. Was I more mentally ready to quit then before? I dont know........but its 5 years now.

Good luck.

Anthony.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 scum01

Try the Allen Carr book!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Carr

worked for me!

off them 3 years this december! i'm only 24 and just had enough of them! its the kind of book that will work if you really deep down want to quit!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Try whatever it takes. NRT, Zyban, Champix, anything you can think of. The important thing is to try again if you fail. It took me at least 12 attempts to give up, but it was worth the effort.

Advertisement