Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord didn't register with the PRTB

Options
  • 10-05-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My landlord didn't register my tenancy with the PRTB, does that mean that neither he nor I can initiate a dispute via the PRTB, should we wish to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No, you can still lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

he'll be in deep **** if he hasn't - mention this to him and he may settle with you.

His tax situation will be a complete mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Paulw wrote: »
    No, you can still lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

Can he though?

Long story short, he's quite complacent. Takes him ages to pull his finger out to get things sorted (like faults in the home that need a plumber / electrician). We're probably moving out next month. I just know that it'll take him months to repay the deposit I gave him at the start of the tenancy (almost €1000). I'm thinking of letting him keep it in lieu of the last month's rent. Naughty I know, and I've never done it before, but then I've never had a useless landlord before and I can't afford not to have my money. I don't need a reference from him.

What's the worst that can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There is nothing stopping you from lodging a complaint with the PRTB.

It is his obligation to register with the PRTB.

You can still use all possible methods to get issues resolved and your deposit repaid properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yo0u can lodge a complaint, he can not. In addition, should you lodge a complaint (or just let them know that you are a tenant and the tenancy is not registered), he is going to be in trouble and may have to pay large fines.

• Advertisement

hmmm.. thanks. So it puts me in quite a strong position then, looks like. Truth is I don't like confrontation and I don't want to have any friction with the guy.

On the other hand though, I've never met him, don't know what he looks like, don't have an address for him. If I do the right thing and pay the last month's rent as normal so he can repay my deposit as normal - who's to say he won't vanish in to thin air with my €1000, never to be seen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

hmmm.. thanks. So it puts me in quite a strong position then, looks like. Truth is I don't like confrontation and I don't want to have any friction with the guy.

On the other hand though, I've never met him, don't know what he looks like, don't have an address for him. If I do the right thing and pay the last month's rent as normal so he can repay my deposit as normal - who's to say he won't vanish in to thin air with my €1000, never to be seen again?

do you have a rent book; receipts, contract etc?

do you have a rent book; receipts, contract etc?

I have a contract detailing a one year lease, roughly dated 01/07/2009 until 01/07/2010 (just been a rolling Part 4 since then).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

If you really really want the 1000 euro back, you could always contact the agency, tell them you need to apply for rent allowance and you need the LL's PPS number in order to apply.
    If you get it: report him to the PRTB.
    If you don't get it: write that in your letter to the PRTB, too.

The PRTB should be able to pursue a LL through the agency, anyway, as the agency is always cc'd on any PRTB disputes.

variety wrote: »
    If you really really want the 1000 euro back, you could always contact the agency, tell them you need to apply for rent allowance and you need the LL's PPS number in order to apply.
    If you get it: report him to the PRTB.
    If you don't get it: write that in your letter to the PRTB, too.

The PRTB should be able to pursue a LL through the agency, anyway, as the agency is always cc'd on any PRTB disputes.

Thanks variety, good idea. Problem is, there's no agency. He used an agency just for "placement" (I think that's the term that was used) - to find a tenant - but that's it, once found it was between him and me. In short, I don't have any dealings with the original agency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What's the worst that can happen?

Nothing. He might hound you for the month. Thats about it. Even if he was registered with the PRTB, you'd be gone for his complaint came up anyway. Just illustrates why it would be better for the tenant and the LL for a third party to hold on to the rent.

Advertisement