Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devastated

• 10-05-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All

Last weekend my mum was admitted to hospital, and in the space of 24 hours she deteriorated rapidly and then passed away suddenly.

At the moment im not attending college, and the studying has stopped. The college was able to reschedule my Art and Construction practical for next week or the week after.

I was aiming for 430 points but I will definitely wont be achieving that, due to my circumstances. I am also a repeat student so repeating the lc again is not an option.

Does anybody have any advice on the matter, as it would be much appreciated.

Regards
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Hey there, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. :(

I don't really have any exact advice for you because everyone deals with things differently, but I think you should just do your best to plough through and what happens, happens.

It's the end of the year, I'm sure you've been working all year, at least a bit? If you don't get much done in the next few weeks, it won't be that awful. You should have a lot of the information in your head already, from the first time around as well. Don't tell yourself you won't get the points! You never know, you could get very lucky and the papers could just go your way.

Just try to get some light study done, it might even help you keep your mind steady. Even reading over your notes or something will help you absorb something.

Just try your best and you can review the situation after, yeah? You could repeat a second time if you really had to.

Sorry I wasn't much help but I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

i'm sure she would want you to do you're very best and achieve your maximum potential. if anything, do it for her and her memory.

i'm sorry for your loss, stay strong mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Studunne, I'm very sorry to hear this, its tragic.
    Would you contact the school for an appointment with the guidance counsellor.
    My mother passed away when I was 17, and its is difficult to deal with - but
    there is help there to get you through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Studunne wrote: »

I was aiming for 430 points but I will definitely wont be achieving that, due to my circumstances. I am also a repeat student so repeating the lc again is not an option.

S

I'm so sorry to her about your Mother.
    What course did you plan on doing that's 430? Is their any 'back door' courses for lower points that you could do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Stu,

really sorry to hear that, that's a tragedy and a huge trauma to have to face at your age without the LC coming on top of it as well.

Talk to the school, they may be able to help in small ways, a bit of back-up from a counsellor perhaps (sometimes just being able to talk and blurt it all out to someone who isn't personally affected can be really helpful), maybe other bits I mightn't even think of.

I know it must be almost impossible to study right now, you must be feeling completely numb, but try thinking of it as something she would want you to do (which I'm certain she would) ... something which is almost a tribute to her memory and which you're doing *for* her.

Start back slowly ... 15 / 20 minutes really trying to concentrate / focus, then a break, a cup of tea maybe, a stroll around the garden ... then another 20 minutes. Don't try to do huge amounts in the first couple of days, just try to get your head back into it and make a start.

R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I am very sorry that this has happened to you. All I can suggest is what other posters have said; to try and make a go of picking up with your study again and to make a go of your LC in honour of your Mum and as a tribute to her. What would she advise. She would for you to do your best and she would want the very best possible outcome for you.

You said in your post that this happened very suddenly and it is so recent. It must be very hard to think straight at the moment. As other posters said, you will have a great deal of information on board already. Do talk to the people around you. Is there a relative, friend or teacher that could help. I'm sure many people would want to. Try to start back, even slowly ... but do try to make a start.

Hey Studunne,

In order to get the points you want - you have to get the points one step at time.

It looks like you have 2 exams coming up - Art and Construction.

Art - You need the art exam papers - have you got them?

Construction - How is your project going?, If you need to you may be able to get more time on it.
    Can you discuss the exam with you teacher?

It is very difficult. But we can help. stay in touch with us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm thinking of you at the moment mate, it's really put it in perspective that I'm here getting annoyed on youtube looking for Bach split into it's appropriate pieces and you're facing this.

Hope you do amazing in your exams. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you have the rest of your life ahead of you. You are already going through a stressful time, the Leaving Cert is probably only a drop in the ocean when it comes to how you are feeling. Sit the Leaving Cert. Don't stress yourself out with study. Try your best. If you don't get what you need you can always repeat, or do a backdoor course.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I did my leaving cert last year but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. x

There's still ages to the exams whatever you do just look after yourself. Take some time off because the exams come second in importance to you.

If you haven't got a set of the revise wise books for your subjects I really recommend them and the past papers. The Revise Wise are great because the aren't as daunting as the textbooks.Even if you're really down and can't summon up enough strength to sit up at a desk and write notes and tackle the textbook you could flick through them and learn quickly without too much effort. If you're doing geography there's this other one that is great it's basically a book of sample answers that my friends had it was Rapid something and it was black.

Maybe put up a list of the subjects you're doing and we could give you some specific advice about each of them. Unfortunately I didn't do construction or art so I don't know about those really.

Love to you, take care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Studunne

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice, it has really meant a lot,

Im still trying to get back on track, the next few weeks is going to be tough, but Ill get through it hopefully

Stu

Its great to hear that your back on track for the leaving Cert.. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you , there is lots of help here on Boards.
    If you need any advice for Art History let me know.

Advertisement