Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been to DIT now going to NCI ?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 1:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19

In DIT there is a big emphasis about doing speechs and presentations which i really hated, is it the same in NCI ? Please just go a lil bit further to help me.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

payme1000 wrote: »
    In DIT there is a big emphasis about doing speechs and presentations which i really hated, is it the same in NCI ? Please just go a lil bit further to help me.
    thanks

Its a complete speechfest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 19 payme1000

Its a complete speechfest.
    thanks for the reply man much appricated:) Could you please like go into further detail like how often and long and stuff i know i sould like a gimp but still, thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

thanks for the reply man much appricated:) Could you please like go into further detail like how often and long and stuff i know i sould like a gimp but still, thanks :)

They are on like ALL the time. And some of them go on for ages! Hope this helps.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on the course.
    so say like busniess moonbeem ? or the higher cert in business ? Also can i ask what course you did and ur expieriecnes ? also thats lemon dude i think is just taking the piss soo shhh lemonboy.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

My boyfriend is in NCI. He always has to give loads of speeches and talks but they're only ever with his class group! Everyone has to do it so the crowd isn't hostile, its good practice for the future! He's doing a computer course btw!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

With Business courses anywhere you are going to need to do presentations,unfortunately the reality of it is you need to do them in most jobs too.

My boyfriend is in NCI. He always has to give loads of speeches and talks but they're only ever with his class group! Everyone has to do it so the crowd isn't hostile, its good practice for the future! He's doing a computer course btw!
    Hey thank michelle, you know how you say loads do you mean one every few months like ? Please answer cause your last answer was awesome :)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    With Business courses anywhere you are going to need to do presentations,unfortunately the reality of it is you need to do them in most jobs too.
    Yeh i know that dude :) really just wanted to know the frequency i mean you would hardly want to be doing them weekly lol ?
    Have you any idea on this like ?
    sound for your help so far and i hope you can help me just a little bit more xD

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Hey thank michelle, you know how you say loads do you mean one every few months like ? Please answer cause your last answer was awesome :)

I Love the flattery! :D

It really depends. I know NCI give you a schedule of when your projects are due in during your first week (wish DIT did that). So you may not have any for the first two months but you might have like 2 or 3 a month (this is going by his course). For him, they seemed very informal and were always just presenting your project so its not like you have to stand up and talk about something you don't know about! Its also usually in groups so if you don't feel like doing all the talking join up with some one who can! I think the class groups are really small as well so that does make the crowd less daunting!

My advice is that it is good practice for the future. It is a skill you will need and it will help that you are practicing in a friendly enviroment that if you make a mistake its ok... you know what i mean?

Good luck with what you choose any way! I just wouldn't let the presentation thing be an issue!

• Advertisement

I Love the flattery! :D

It really depends. I know NCI give you a schedule of when your projects are due in during your first week (wish DIT did that). So you may not have any for the first two months but you might have like 2 or 3 a month (this is going by his course). For him, they seemed very informal and were always just presenting your project so its not like you have to stand up and talk about something you don't know about! Its also usually in groups so if you don't feel like doing all the talking join up with some one who can! I think the class groups are really small as well so that does make the crowd less daunting!

My advice is that it is good practice for the future. It is a skill you will need and it will help that you are practicing in a friendly enviroment that if you make a mistake its ok... you know what i mean?

Good luck with what you choose any way! I just wouldn't let the presentation thing be an issue!
    Michelle you are so sound like xD that nci boyfriend is a lucky lad haha xD
    thanks fo all that like cause most the lads on this where like " yeh there everyday big long ones " but i didnt think that was the case and yeh i presume by the time you get to do them you know everyone anyways so everyone will be the same :D im accually gonna be happy today xD thanks michelle and btw you deserve the flattery hahaha xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hey there,
    I'm in second year of the level 8 business management course and also hate presentations! :o

How many you have really depends on what lecturers you get in first year, and then in second year it depends on your lecturers and what electives you chose.

This year for my core module in first semester we had to do 2 presentations - these were both group though and were ok (as presentations go!) as they were during a tutorial rather than a lecture which in our course was about the third the size of presenting during a lecture, also not that many people were in that day - if your presentation is on at certain times of the year eg when projects are due in, or if that module is all ca and its near the end of the year you will find the numbers dwindle.

In my second semester none of my core subjects involved presentations (Phew!) and the electives I picked didn't have any either - although this wasn't why I picked those ones! :P

In first year in the first semester I didn't have any, and in my second semester I had one which was also in a group and didn't go very well :( but still got a 2.1 in that subject so it's all good :)

All the lecturers run tutorials in different ways though and some will ask you to work in a group for say 20 min and then present your ideas/thoughts at the end of that class but most of these are really informal and i find when I know that the outcome of these wont affect my grade I don't freak out as much :) And in these situations there is usually someone in the group that doesn't mind/likes presenting so you can get away with not doing the presentation if you contribute loads to the conversation :D
    Hope that is some help!

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I'm in second year of the level 8 business management course and also hate presentations! :o

How many you have really depends on what lecturers you get in first year, and then in second year it depends on your lecturers and what electives you chose.

This year for my core module in first semester we had to do 2 presentations - these were both group though and were ok (as presentations go!) as they were during a tutorial rather than a lecture which in our course was about the third the size of presenting during a lecture, also not that many people were in that day - if your presentation is on at certain times of the year eg when projects are due in, or if that module is all ca and its near the end of the year you will find the numbers dwindle.

In my second semester none of my core subjects involved presentations (Phew!) and the electives I picked didn't have any either - although this wasn't why I picked those ones! :P

In first year in the first semester I didn't have any, and in my second semester I had one which was also in a group and didn't go very well :( but still got a 2.1 in that subject so it's all good :)

All the lecturers run tutorials in different ways though and some will ask you to work in a group for say 20 min and then present your ideas/thoughts at the end of that class but most of these are really informal and i find when I know that the outcome of these wont affect my grade I don't freak out as much :) And in these situations there is usually someone in the group that doesn't mind/likes presenting so you can get away with not doing the presentation if you contribute loads to the conversation :D
    Hope that is some help!
    Dragon you are so sound for both answers cause some lads on this are like " yeh everyweek " there just douches though. Thanks alot for answering those like that, so like u say u hate them aswell but you reckon its well do able like ? Can i just ask you one more thing, the people there what are they heads of them like is it like D4 or like normals or like chavs lol, im such a weirdo about all these datails but since you are good at the answers just that last one xD

Dragon you are so sound for both answers cause some lads on this are like " yeh everyweek " there just douches though.

haha maybe its cuz i'm a girl? :p

erm there is a good mix of people its not really one type or another that has a majority really, there is 125 in our course at the min so i'm sure you'll find someone you like/get along with

dragonfly! wrote: »
    haha maybe its cuz i'm a girl? :p

erm there is a good mix of people its not really one type or another that has a majority really, there is 125 in our course at the min so i'm sure you'll find someone you like/get along with

wow did you mean to type 125 ? i thought nci was like dit where they have like 40 in a class ? are all the courses that full, not that its a bad thing, are the classes like halls then and not class rooms ?

haha yeah 125 I was also under the impression that it was a small class type thing when i started, but to be fair as our year was the first year to do the course we have very much been the guinea pig year

last year all our lecctures were in a lecture hall and for our tutorials we were split into 2 groups

this year for our core subjects we were all together in a lecture hall and then for the electives we were all together as well but there wasnt as many in each elective so generally we were in class rooms (3 out fo the 4 were anyway) and the numbers in all these varied hugely - from 40 -65 in the ones i did

for the tutorials for the cores we were spilt into 3 groups
    and for the tuts for the electives we were all together

hope this helps

Advertisement