Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting kitten to eat solid foods.....

• 10-05-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

hey all
    looking for a little advice, i collected my new kitten last week being 8 1/2 weeks old. The lady told me he was eating solid foods aswell as milk. He has settled in amazingly and adores my other cat and i cant believe how big he has gotten in a week but i cannot get him to eat solid food wet or dry. I have tried doing everything i can think of mixing some milk/waer with the dry food to make it soft, ive tried him on wet food. He will take nothing except for warm milk and cries until i give in :(
    I dont feed my other cat cows milk at all as i know its not good for them but i dont know what else to do with the kitten or give him???
    has any one any ideas for me???? he will be 9 weeks tomorrow!
    Thanks
    L :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

Here is a pic of my new rascal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Loopsie wrote: »
    hey all
    looking for a little advice, i collected my new kitten last week being 8 1/2 weeks old. The lady told me he was eating solid foods aswell as milk. He has settled in amazingly and adores my other cat and i cant believe how big he has gotten in a week but i cannot get him to eat solid food wet or dry. I have tried doing everything i can think of mixing some milk/waer with the dry food to make it soft, ive tried him on wet food. He will take nothing except for warm milk and cries until i give in :(
    I dont feed my other cat cows milk at all as i know its not good for them but i dont know what else to do with the kitten or give him???
    has any one any ideas for me???? he will be 9 weeks tomorrow!
    Thanks
    L :)

Often the smellier the food the better so warming a little up in the microwave may help attract your kitten to it. Also switch to kitten milk rather than cows milk to avoid stomach upset putting your kitten off his food. It can take up to a week for a cat to "wean" onto a new food type/brand so be patient and also remember the size of their tummy so don't present them with too much food.

Also consider the type of bowl you are using? Does it have a high edge meaning kitty can't reach? Use a small saucer for a while?

Good luck

(PS wet food all the time can cause gum disease in pet cats as I found to my peril .. the diet should be approx 70% dry and 30% wet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Hi, im feeding a kitten royal canin babycat food and they also do a baby milk. Shes loving it, Im soaking the food tho till its very soft.

I really wouldnt be giving her cows milk at all her little system wont be able for it.

Hope this helps :)

Loopsie wrote: »
    Here is a pic of my new rascal :)

Awww to gorgeous nearly as gorgeous as mine :D

Only kidding (well im not really) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Oh he is adorable! :D

Did you find out what brand of food he was on? Feed him the same brand he was used to getting. When I first got my cat (all 5 and a half years ago, trust me you may laugh but it's the same with children they grow so quickly so take lots and lots of photos) she was the same in that she would not eat for ages. The only thing we could get her to eat was readybrek and even then we used to have to practically sit on her and spoon feed it into her. We tried milk but she projectile vomited (having fed milk to cats for years with no problem we wouldn't believe the woman that cats are lactose intolerant, we now know better :D) across the kitchen. Until one day I put a bit of cat food on my plate at the dinner table and lifted her up to it, she must have thought it was human food because she scoffed it. She's still just as fussy but at least she eats! :rolleyes:

What brand of food are you trying her with? Have a look on zooplus.co.uk (and zooplus.ie) they have some very high quality wet food brands such as bozita, smilla, animonda carny and porta 21. Im not a big fan of dry foods and certainly not feeding only dry food as it can lead to the formation of struvite crystals (crystals which form in the bladder and lodge in the urethra), which in male cats is life threatening because it can stop them from urinating. Cats aren't big water drinkers, they mostly rely on their food for water intake and by eating dry food they don't get enough water. Im not a big believer of dry foods helping teeth either, unless it's a food specifically for dental problems (because they would have special shaped biscuits) I don't think your average run of the mill dry food contributes anything towards dental health. What your better off doing is buying a special cat toothbrush and getting your kitten used to regular teeth brushing from a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Zapperzy wrote: »

Cats aren't big water drinkers, they mostly rely on their food for water intake and by eating dry food they don't get enough water.

I must have unusual cats so.... mine have drank water from a week after I got them (I gradually watered down kitten milk) and now go through a bowlful at least between the 2 of them a day. I always leave fresh water out for them and if I forget (very rarely) they have been known to try to drink from the toilet bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Has anybody with cats tried lactose free fresh milk for their cats? I give it to all my cats and kittens its exactly the same as branded kitten milk.

Loopsie kittens learn to wean at different rates i've have 13 kittens in my house as various times and a few would eat all three dry wet and milk some would only drink milk no food until they got bigger and hungrier some skipped milk all together and drank water. They are very individual creatures like us

Ah I must try that for my new baby :) Thanks

13 kittens??? omg im not getting anything done with one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Justask wrote: »
    Ah I must try that for my new baby :) Thanks

13 kittens??? omg im not getting anything done with one lol

Not at the same time :D, I just happen to be a magnet for pregnant queen cats re homing is always emotional as i LOVE kittens so much!

ladypip wrote: »
    Not at the same time :D, I just happen to be a magnet for pregnant queen cats re homing is always emotional as i LOVE kittens so much!

Read that wrong to :eek:
    Sorry :)

We have a new baby kiten and she is getting spoiled rotten :D Hand feeding her but worth every second

• Advertisement
Advertisement