Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duped into a 12 month contract by Eircom

Options
  • 10-05-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

In late March I received a call from Eircom offering to upgrade my 8mb ngb broadband to 24mb for no extra charge if I opted for a 12 month contract. I was told this was because i was a valued customer.I agreed there and then as I was told that this was an offer open to me for one day only. It was not explained to me that I had no rights under the distance selling legislation "cooling off period" of one week to change my mind if I was not pleased with the service as that does not apply to changes in existing contracts,only to new ones.

As it happened I had serious trouble with my broadband upgrade and needed two engineer callouts ( today I am home waiting for a 3rd).I also had to purchase a new modem on the advice of an Eircom tech, it has helped but came at unexpected expense. I have rang Eircom to cancel my BB but have been told I face a large cancellation fee if I do and after buying a new modem I feel it's an overly larger expense.

I am extremely annoyed and disappointed that I was essentially duped into a 12 month contract for an upgrade that has been rolled out contract free to others less than 6 weeks later. I think that I and the other "valued customers" duped into agreeing to a 12 month contract should have that removed from the terms of our arrangement with Eircom so we can leave freely like the vast majority of other customers who received the same upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

In late March I received a call from Eircom offering to upgrade my 8mb ngb broadband to 24mb for no extra charge if I opted for a 12 month contract. I was told this was because i was a valued customer.I agreed there and then as I was told that this was an offer open to me for one day only. It was not explained to me that I had no rights under the distance selling legislation "cooling off period" of one week to change my mind if I was not pleased with the service as that does not apply to changes in existing contracts,only to new ones.

As it happened I had serious trouble with my broadband upgrade and needed two engineer callouts ( today I am home waiting for a 3rd).I also had to purchase a new modem on the advice of an Eircom tech, it has helped but came at unexpected expense. I have rang Eircom to cancel my BB but have been told I face a large cancellation fee if I do and after buying a new modem I feel it's an overly larger expense.

I am extremely annoyed and disappointed that I was essentially duped into a 12 month contract for an upgrade that has been rolled out contract free to others less than 6 weeks later. I think that I and the other "valued customers" duped into agreeing to a 12 month contract should have that removed from the terms of our arrangement with Eircom so we can leave freely like the vast majority of other customers who received the same upgrade.

Hi Whimsical
    I am very sorry to hear that you have had this experience. If you PM me your accopunt details / line no. I can chase this for you and hope to be able to help you here.
    Tony

Advertisement