Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trails in D15

• 10-05-2011 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just bought my first bike in almost 20 years( the things turning 30 has made me do):D and am looking to do a bit of trail riding. Does anyone know of somewhere decent that would suit a half crazy beginner in the D15 area?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

theT wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just bought my first bike in almost 20 years( the things turning 30 has made me do):D and am looking to do a bit of trail riding. Does anyone know of somewhere decent that would suit a half crazy beginner in the D15 area?;)

Nothing much really, I suppose the canal. Down by the canal towards town is a little off-road. Go into the park through the Castleknock gate and turn RIGHT onto the trail there, you can pretty much do an off-road lap of the park.

I live in D15 (sometimes!), cycling to 3-Rock is handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

studiorat wrote: »

I live in D15 (sometimes!), cycling to 3-Rock is handy enough.

Are you for real? D15 to 3-rock is a pretty tough cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Hi,

I'd imagine there are a few trails in the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

fatbhoy wrote: »

It's about 40 minutes (to the bottom of the hill :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Robertd_07 wrote: »
    I'd imagine there are a few trails in the Phoenix park.

That's your best bet for a newbie! There used to be mountain bike racing years ago up around by the Magazine fort and that little valley close by...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

fatbhoy wrote: »

Across town, up into Tirbradden Wood long climb and some walking on the rocks at the beginning (walking trail). Across onto 3 rock quick lap of the new trails back home with a quick pint in Bradys. 60km.

Go slowly! It's really not that bad and I'm older than the OP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niall Smith

I used to live in D 15. Verdemont next to the Blanch shopping centre to be exact. My top two recommendations would be near the magazine in Phoenix park mentioned above, and out of town along the canal. It's reasonably easy going most of the way to Maynooth, and pleasant enough to cycle on, good mix of joggers and dog walkers usually, and you don't feel like you are anywhere near the city, plus......

Maynooth Castle Demesne. It's called after some hotel or other Carton or Carlton I think. Anyway I'd say it's about 15 odd Km from Clonsilla station along the Canal route. Apparently there's two off road trails around the inside of it. Get off the Canal at the last lock before Maynooth, (I know, I know, how do you know this is the last lock? Well he'll figure it out!) the road is right next to the canal there, RIGHT next to it, and about a km down the road there's the way in.

Best of Luck!!!

Morgan wrote: »
    It's about 40 minutes (to the bottom of the hill :))
    studiorat wrote: »
    Across town, up into Tirbradden Wood long climb and some walking on the rocks at the beginning (walking trail). Across onto 3 rock quick lap of the new trails back home with a quick pint in Bradys. 60km.

Go slowly! It's really not that bad and I'm older than the OP;)

That's OK if you're pretty fit:
      40+ minutes over, uphill towards Marley Park etc.
      Nasty hill to Ticknock carpark: 15+ minutes of PAIN :pac:
      A lap or two of the trails: 1 - 2 hours
      40+ minutes back

And the guy hasn't cycled his own bike in 20 years :eek:. Maybe he's fit from other sports, but even to me :cool:, that's a formidable few hours cycling, but it's do-able (certainly not "handy")! :pac: :pac:

Hi,

Try the MTB trails like 3-rock, djouce, ballinastoe, leadmines etc. to see if you get hooked. Look at the MAD and EPIC forums, and try to bum a lift and/or go up with someone (to find out where they are etc.). If you like it, then get a decent bike, a car with a bike carrier, and go for it. Being half-mad is a great advantage :pac:

Advertisement