Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up Home Entertainment System. Advice needed

• 10-05-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

I was looking for some advice on setting up a new home entertainment system. Moving to a new house in a couple of weeks. I will have the TV in one room with the intention of having all boxes (SKY, DVD, Sound System, etc) in a different room out of sight. Anyway, when the house was being wired I ran 8 CAT5 cables from the place where the TV will be, back to the location where the boxes will be stored. What should my next step be to allow the TV to connect to the Sky box, Sound system, DVD, etc? Is it possible for me to configure the system so that 1 remote control can operate the 3 boxes when they are out of sight? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is it possible for me to configure the system so that 1 remote control can operate the 3 boxes when they are out of sight? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks in advance

Yes,

What you need is a RF capable remote control. One example is the logitech harmony 900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Homer

Don't necessarily need an RF remote. A universal/learning remote combined with an IR receiver will work also and can be cheaper. The advantage of an RF remote is that you don't need to point it in the direction of a receiver, you don't even need to be in the same room!
    There are surface
    ACCESORIOS_RUSSOUND_html_m5d42a64a.jpg
    and flush receivers available
    SKFIRC11.jpg

Just make sure if you go for IR receiver and a universal remote that it is plasma friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thanks for the advice on the remote. Any ideas on how to connect the TV to the SKY box, DVD, and sound system using CAT5 cable? Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Thanks for the advice on the remote. Any ideas on how to connect the TV to the SKY box, DVD, and sound system using CAT5 cable? Thanks again
    You are best connecting the sources together via an av processor/receiver. You can then run a single hdmi cable via baluns to your tv and use the avr to power a speaker system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HiFi Guru

The last response is your best option, using an AV receiver in conjunction with HDMI over CAT5 baluns. I'd suggest using as good a set of baluns as you can afford, as the handshaking issues on the cheaper units will break your heart. (I work in the trade, so I've come across this problem a lot.) If you set the output resolution of all of your sources to the same output level (720p, or 1080i), it will improve the speed of the TV displaying the picture for each source.

I'm reluctant to recommend any specific brands as they all have their failings, but if you set your mind to not going over a resolution of 720p the majority of the units out there will work smoothly. As soon as you go for 1080p the trouble starts. (The picture flashing on and off every few seconds being the most common.)

The only unit I have seen that works perfectly over a single unscreened CAT5 cable is Crestron's Digital Media system, and it ain't cheap!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement