Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what kind of degrees help for the aircore?

• 10-05-2011 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭

What kind of degrees help your chances of securing a position as a pilot in the aircore? (Irish or RAF)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 spark23

Don't worry you seem like their type, they'll takke you on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

I wouldn't really know but I'd say something along the lines of engineering or science might help.

While it would be harder to get in the air corp it would be worth giving it your all.

I think you need British citizenship if you want to be a pilot in the RAF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

testicle wrote: »
    Spelling.

a spelling degree. what uni did u go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 MickJB1989

Doesn't really matter unless you're going for professional entry, i.e. advanced engineering officers roles. In general they'll give you the training you need for the role they put you in.

• Advertisement

MickJB1989 wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter unless you're going for professional entry, i.e. advanced engineering officers roles. In general they'll give you the training you need for the role they put you in.

i take it its very competitive to get into. how much trainig would u be looking at before u get to fly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

i take it its very competitive to get into. how much trainig would u be looking at before u get to fly?

Incredibly competitive, I think this year's competetion had 5 or less places for the air corps, but some who knows more than me could confirm or deny that. Also, I don't think PDF air corps have any fixed wing aircraft at the moment, so if being a top gun is your goal your only option is the RAF, but again, this is open to correction by someone with more knowledge than I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Also, I don't think PDF air corps have any fixed wing aircraft at the moment

Yes The Irish Air Corps have fixed wing Aircraft.

so if being a top gun is your goal your only option is the RAF, but again, this is open to correction by someone with more knowledge than I have.

AFAIK The RAF dont take too kindly to "Top Gun" types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

a spelling degree. what uni did u go to?

Hi OP, The only 2 Official types of name acceptable for The Air Corps are:

1. Irish Air Corps
    2. Aer Chór na hÉireann

You did not give your age but they are not called the "aircore". They are un-officially referred to on Aviation Forums as "The IAC" "AC".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

you may not need any degree. I applied during my leaving very year. got to the final 25 or 30, but no further. think they only took on 5 or 6 that year too...

the format for selection was:
    cv
    interview
    aptitude testing
    fitness testing
    medical
    second interview
    and final selection
    (think format is different now)

most of the lads were around my age (18) at the time. anyone know If there's a pref for older/younger candidates?

Steyr wrote: »
    Yes The Irish Air Corps have fixed wing Aircraft.

AFAIK The RAF dont take too kindly to "Top Gun" types.

I stand corrected on the fixed wings, as I thought I might. As for "top gun" I was using the term in reference to pilots of fast-fighter jet type aircraft in general, rather than the looked down on mentality.

OP, this link http://www.military.ie/air-corps/fleet should show you exactly what you might fly if you joined the air corp. While I think the preference should always be to serve one's own country, if these aren't the aircraft you wanted to fly, then it might be wise to investigate the RAF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Incredibly competitive, I think this year's competetion had 5 or less places for the air corps, but some who knows more than me could confirm or deny that..
    last year 632 people went for 3 places - so yes, it was extremely competitive! All the best in it though, I think you're better going for these things young, so that you get as many chances as possible to apply. Wish I had :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

None, particularly when someone doesn't can't spell the official name of the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stockyboie

blondie83 wrote: »
    last year 632 people went for 3 places - so yes, it was extremely competitive! All the best in it though, I think you're better going for these things young, so that you get as many chances as possible to apply. Wish I had :)

the only reason its extremely compeditive is because we barely have any aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

stockyboie wrote: »
    the only reason its extremely compeditive is because we barely have any aircraft.

not true - its competetive because lots of people, most of them decent candidates, want to do the job.

the number of airframes available doesn't really come into it, i imagine that an awful lot more than 600 people would apply for AC cadetships if instead of 8 PC-9's, 2 CASA's and a slack handful of helicopters there was the opportunity to fly one of 60 F-16's.

its probably less competitive now than it would be if the IAC was a fast jet, deployable force - lots of good potential candidates probably don't even seriously consider the IAC as a career because of what they percieve as the half-arsed, comic book nature of the force.

xflyer wrote: »
    None, particularly when someone doesn't can't spell the official name of the service.

whats that suppose to mean? i would of thought an aptitude for mathematics would be more useful for pilots rather than grammer. maybe you could do with brushing up or your own

so i take it you probably have a better chance at applying for the RAF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

so i take it you probably have a better chance at applying for the RAF?

If you want to be a pilot you'll need to be a British citizen or holder of dual British/other nationality.

Jonah42 wrote: »
    If you want to be a pilot you'll need to be a British citizen or holder of dual British/other nationality.

i should have brit citizenship by the end of my degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

whats that suppose to mean? i would of thought an aptitude for mathematics would be more useful for pilots rather than grammer. maybe you could do with brushing up or your own
    That's a typo not a mispelling. The military like their officers to be both literate and numerate. Even the 'Aircore'.

Jonah42 wrote: »

I thought Irish passport holders were exempt from this requirement (and also common wealth passport holders), unless applying for SIGINTs positions where sensitive information could be handled, which requires a british citizenship since birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aviteire

To apply to the Irish Air Corps for a cadetship ;
    A Leaving Cert with at least 3 honour level subject's at grade C3 or better and 3 Ordinary level subject's at grade D3 or better.

If you hold a Level 8 Honours degree and make it to the final interview, you will recieve 10% merit in the interview scoring.
    ie, a person with a degree gets marked 70 out of 100 in the interview, they get 10% merit so there overall mark is 77%!

Irish Passport holders cant apply to the RAF or Royal Navy if you have not been active residant for the last 5 years in the UK!

However, you can apply to the british army air corps, however you need 5 Honours in your leaving cert at grade C3 or better.

Goodluck.

To answer your question, the degree does not matter what field it is in, as long as it is level 8 on the national frame work.

xflyer wrote: »
    That's a typo not a mispelling.QUOTE]

its defence of stupidity is what it is

aviteire wrote: »
    To apply to the Irish Air Corps for a cadetship ;
    A Leaving Cert with at least 3 honour level subject's at grade C3 or better and 3 Ordinary level subject's at grade D3 or better.

If you hold a Level 8 Honours degree and make it to the final interview, you will recieve 10% merit in the interview scoring.
    ie, a person with a degree gets marked 70 out of 100 in the interview, they get 10% merit so there overall mark is 77%!

Irish Passport holders cant apply to the RAF or Royal Navy if you have not been active residant for the last 5 years in the UK!

However, you can apply to the british army air corps, however you need 5 Honours in your leaving cert at grade C3 or better.

Goodluck.

To answer your question, the degree does not matter what field it is in, as long as it is level 8 on the national frame work.

the british army air corps eh? are you restricted to flying choppers with them or are there planes you can fly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

the british army air corps eh? are you restricted to flying choppers with them or are there planes you can fly?

You can fly Apaches with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aviteire

You do your basic training on a light aeroplane, the more advance training is done on turbine helicopters.
    Helicopters are much, much more fun to fly for a living compared to upper air route work carried out by airliners, military patrol planes etc.

If you where to join the air corps, chance's are you will end up in helicopter wing !

Google the british army air corps, send them an email, explain your story and ask them to send you an application for entering standhurst officer training.

The ex-army air corps chief pilot is a dublin man and the last blue eagles display team chief pilot is a mayo man (Now a civil pilot with Irish Helicopters and PDG).
    Dont be put of the british thing, there are a fair few paddys flying the lynx, gazelle etc. I know a lad from Carlow who is on operation at the moment flying the apache!

aviteire wrote: »
    You do your basic training on a light aeroplane, the more advance training is done on turbine helicopters.
    Helicopters are much, much more fun to fly for a living compared to upper air route work carried out by airliners, military patrol planes etc.

If you where to join the air corps, chance's are you will end up in helicopter wing !

Google the british army air corps, send them an email, explain your story and ask them to send you an application for entering standhurst officer training.

The ex-army air corps chief pilot is a dublin man and the last blue eagles display team chief pilot is a mayo man (Now a civil pilot with Irish Helicopters and PDG).
    Dont be put of the british thing, there are a fair few paddys flying the lynx, gazelle etc. I know a lad from Carlow who is on operation at the moment flying the apache!

omg that sounds exciting. do u reckon u could get some trigger time in trashghanistan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

omg that sounds exciting. do u reckon u could get some trigger time in trashghanistan?
    You should ask that in the interview.

Your original post set yourself very low standards in this thread and so far you have failed to achieve them. Especially this last gem.

Maybe you should go back and edit your thread title for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

Lol, yeah. But only if you get six kills without dying/respawning:D

Advertisement