Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leggings as pants

• 10-05-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

If this is such a fashion faux pas and most girls know this...why.oh why do so many gilrs do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

i have no idea why girls do it.. i think it looks terrible and it doesn't matter if the girl is thin or heavey it still looks wrong..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I like it. I usually wear mine with another fashion faux pas such as uggs and a long top.

I think it looks good. Except on anyone over a size 12.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

You are so right! When people wear leggings they don't even wear long tops with them! Hello camel toe!! It is especially worse with really cheap/ tight leggings. People must not have mirrors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Lads like it :p

But yeah, it doesn't look the 'best' on a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Gives me a chubby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

On behalf of men everywhere, keep it up. We're simple creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I don't think they look that bad with a long top if a girl can pull them off. Long tops are a must have with them though in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I think 99% of the time it looks awful but as long as the leggings are heavy enough (i.e. not translucent) and with a long top (at least just below bum cheek fold) then it's okayish. But mostly it looks kind of cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Only if you have the arse to pull them off. Otherwise, they look terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Looks great on fit girls but so many hogs think they can pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Ah it's horrible on any girl any size any age! With a long top leggings or jeggings can look fab but not as pants.

The other day there was a lady in at work wearing white leggings with a short top. I could see her white thong through and all :eek: And no, it wasn't sexy and I'm not jealous, it looked so trashy and cheap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Gives me a chubby.

Less of that please.

This is not AH.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I like it. I usually wear mine with another fashion faux pas such as uggs and a long top.

I think it looks good. Except on anyone over a size 12.

Theres horrendous no matter what size you are im afraid!
    If a teamed with a long top ( not skin tight ) then they are ok but otherwise wear pants people! :eek::P

Theres horrendous no matter what size you are im afraid!
    If a teamed with a long top ( not skin tight ) then they are ok but otherwise wear pants people! :eek::P
    In your opinion of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

If the leggings are thick material and the girl has great legs and a great bum, I don't see why she shouldn't flaunt what she's got! Yizzer just jealous :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Tallon wrote: »
    In your opinion of course...

Of Course! :pac:
    Lads like it :p

But yeah, it doesn't look the 'best' on a girl

Likewise! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I will never be jealous of cameltoe :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I am afraid to wear leggings with a long top or a dress. I just hate that leggings as pants trend....PLEASE STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!:mad::(:eek:

I will never be jealous of cameltoe :S
    I actually lol'd :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I hate this!! I haven't seen anyone able to pull of this look yet and I really doubt I will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I did this once or twice a few years ago. I wore cheap ones and didn't realise that they went see-through on my bum when I bent over. So tacky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Leggings in general just.. no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't actually mind... I mean, I don't wear leggings as pants personally but I'm sure I wear things that people hate so who am I to judge?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ojt94.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just wrong. Doesn't matter how fat or thin you are, how thick or thin the material, whether patterned or plain, just wrong. Looks like girls are just wearing tights and forgot to get dressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Leggings as pants like this I don't like.

Leggings with a long top/dress etc looks grand, but make sure the arse is covered if you bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deejam

Leggings with a long top/dress etc looks grand, but make sure the arse is covered if you bend over.

oh for the love of god The Cameltoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    did she not look in the mirror when she was goin out, or was that the look she was going for....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm ambivalent. On a slim person with a good bum I think it can look good, as long as the leggings aren't sheer! But...

...she is tall and slim and still looks rotten. :(:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The only time it's ever ok is if they are either:

A - Liquid leggings
    or
    B - Leather leggings

The cheap cotton/normal leegings you see are pretty awful.

The main offenders are 12-15 year olds with their thongs sticking up out of them. NO. It's wrong. I swear when guys see them it's like they don't even get that those are kids they're looking at.

As for grown women doing it, I think it looks manky. And I don't even like the word manky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Only OK when pregnant when most clothes are uncomfortable or on babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'd imagine that leggings-as-pants on a pregnant woman would increase the camel toe by a factor of 10. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'd imagine that leggings-as-pants on a pregnant woman would increase the camel toe by a factor of 10. :/
    Not the case, you do not wear them high up and they are looser to be more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You are so right! When people wear leggings they don't even wear long tops with them! Hello camel toe!! It is especially worse with really cheap/ tight leggings. People must not have mirrors...

Is this your imagination running away with you? Or are you serious? I think girls look super [I'm a man] so I think I'd be attracted to this and I must say I've never what you describe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 forensic

I'm a bit confused :confused:

When you say leggings as pants do you mean as in trousers or as in underpants/underwear? Do you mean wearing leggings without underwear and without some kind of long top to cover your bum?

I know some people say pants whereas I would say trousers. Or use the term pants whereas I would say underwear.

Sorry I have myself confused now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

smurphy666 wrote: »
    If this is such a fashion faux pas and most girls know this...why.oh why do so many gilrs do it?
    because they're spastics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

because they're spastics

Thanks for that valuable contribution. Less of that kind of language and attitude please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I saw a girl in the gym wearing leggings instead of a tracksuit or shorts. She was slim enough but I still kept thinking why didn't you get dressed before you came out? It just reminds me of when you take off a baby's pair of trousers to change their nappy and let them go around in their tights for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Ok. I guess I have a silly question. If a girl is not supposed to wear leggings as pants - nor with a dress or long top, what way should they be worn? And with what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Only OK when pregnant when most clothes are uncomfortable or on babies.

I really hope you mean that leggings as pants are only ok when pregnant and not leggings in general. Actually to be honest I don't think even a pregnant woman should wear them as pants, pregnancy isn't an excuse to give everyone an good look at your bits and arse *shudders* By all means pregnant women should totally wear them with nice dresses and empire line tops, but not as pants.

I wear leggings all the time with long tops, long cardigans, or short mini dresses and I think it looks fine, I wear thick good quality leggings (unless I'm wearing a dress that I don't mind having the kind of opaquey ones with) and always makes sure my bum is covered. I'm an apple shape, so have quite thin legs for the size of my waist and boobs, so wearing an empire line dress/top with leggings shows off my long thin legs so I like it :)

Rasmus wrote: »
    Ok. I guess I have a silly question. If a girl is not supposed to wear leggings as pants - nor with a dress or long top, what way should they be worn? And with what?
    A dress or long top is fine, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

kandr10 wrote: »
    I saw a girl in the gym wearing leggings instead of a tracksuit or shorts. She was slim enough but I still kept thinking why didn't you get dressed before you came out? It just reminds me of when you take off a baby's pair of trousers to change their nappy and let them go around in their tights for a while!

You know you can buy leggings/tights specifically for wear in the gym or out running? I own some and the reason I wear them is because it's much easier to run without the excess material of tracksuit bottoms flapping around your legs.

Plus, it's the gym ffs! You don't go there to make a fashion statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

A dress or long top is fine, imo

Yeah I agree, or even with shorts.

I just dont get it when people wear a crazy short top with them and/or usually the leggings are see-through too and you get a good look at someones bits and bobs and their underwear and sometimes the material's so thin you can see kind of skin colour coming through too and it's just so unflattering - no matter how good a girls bum/legs look.
    I know people are comparing it when a baby or small child wears leggings as pants but I find when a kid does it the material is far thicker and sits a bit differently in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭fghijkl

I think it looks good. Except on anyone over a size 12 0 tbh!.

Horrible horrible things. Where did this trend even originate from is what i don't understand??? Did some fashion designer walk through the pennies kids department one day and go, oh leggings i know why don't i make an adult version?! Or i know i'll cut the feet off some tights?! Why! Just why?!

I mean it's fine on teenagers, but on anyone over the age of 20? noooo, so wrong!

Also it's so annoying when you walk into a shop and see what you think is a pretty dress, and then you pick it up and realise it's a "tunic" :(:(:( so disappointing!

why not just wear pants and a tshirt? or a dress and tights? instead ... don't get it...not to mention when you see girls wearing them on warm days instead of tights..i mean how sweaty they must get being so tight and thick in a certain area*cough* if you know what i mean *cough*! ewww :/

/rant :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I don't think anything looks as bad as wearing leggings as pants, I saw a girl wearing them today, you could clearly see her 'Bridget Jones underwear' It is amazing how many people seem to love this trend, either that are they are unaware of how it looks from behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

I love to see women in really skin tight shiny leggings - very sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Rasmus wrote: »

I think most people here have actually said that with a dress or long top is fine. Definitely my opinion anyway! Can't stand people who wear them with short tops, it's so unflattering. The leggings of the nineties were designed as pants but it was thicker, more pantlike material. The leggings today are thin,flimsy material and are more like thick tights than trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I wear them to bed....

Not a good look on big girls who wear them with belly tops!!! and bending over is a no no in them, by god I got a right sight full the other day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

What on earth are pants???? To me pants are underwear/ knickers. I'm confused!!!! Easy to confuse me so maybe I'm the only one!! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement