Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom around Kilcullen, Co. Kildare

• 10-05-2011 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is anyone using Ripplecom around south Kilcullen/Suncroft/Martinstown area ?

They've claimed on the phone that their users get on average 4 to 6 Mb down - what do you get ?

Any Ripplecom speed test results welcome !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any Ripplecom speed tests at all folks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

I'm just outside Athy and have the 3mb option , I generally get around 2.8 average , they seem to be far better than ice . I was thinking of getting the 8mb offer which is €2 dearer than what I have at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Hi.
    I'm in Martinstown, connected to Grange hill which is 12km from me. Recently, the service has been excellent from Ripplecom, though it does have a very chequered history (been with them since 2005). I usually do get 4-6Mb down. Only 1Mb up though. That's better than most DSL I suppose but still, I'd like it a bit higher.

I use it a lot for working from home (including today) and it rarely lets me down. Latency is generally good, but could be better. They're talking of replacing one of the backhaul links to the datacentre which should improve that, but I'm not holding my breath. It was originally scheduled for completion by the end of January.

Here's a Speedtest from this morning:
    1292451185.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

That's fantastic - looks like I'll be giving my patchy 1MB DSL the heave-ho :)
    Does the ISP always say Imagine ?
    I'd be using it for work too - When you say rarely lets you down do you mean the speed goes low or the connection drops out completely ?
    Any neighbours using it yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

long_b wrote: »
    That's fantastic - looks like I'll be giving my patchy 1MB DSL the heave-ho :)
    Does the ISP always say Imagine ?
    I'd be using it for work too - When you say rarely lets you down do you mean the speed goes low or the connection drops out completely ?
    Any neighbours using it yet ?

Hi.
    ISP always says Imagine for this network segment because that's who provide the upstream Internet access. That's going to change though. As part of this upgrade, our segment will apparently be moving to a different data centre via a new licensed back-haul link. However, that was supposed to have been done by January and still no sign of it.

Generally, the speed is quite stable. It does dip during the day somewhat, but as they said it rarely goes below 4Mb these days. It does occasionally drop, but not often and not for long. Ironically, it did happen today. Total outage was no more than ten minutes.

I'm not aware of any neighbours using it around here. I only found out about them by accident a few years ago (and a good thing too as it's unlikely that I could get any sort of stable DSL connection).

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement