Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom NGB now unlimited usage* for NGB regular and advanced.

• 10-05-2011 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭

I was poking around to see if I could see when my exchange is going to be enabled and found this:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=63&E=0000000000289074988&K=7528&Sxi=2)

*couldn't see a fair usage allowance.

[HTML]If your exchange has been upgraded to a Next Generation network, you will be migrated to the following products

•Home Starter (1Mb) is now Next Generation Broadband Basic
    •Eligible Home Plus customers will be moved to NGB Regular with an unlimited usage allowance at no extra cost
    •Eligible Home Advanced customers will now be 24Mb Next Generation Ultimate customers at no extra cost. Customers who do not qualify for 24Mb will be migrated to 8Mb NGB Regular with an Unlimited Usage Allowance at a reduced price.
    •Business Lite (1Mb) is now Business Lite Next Generation
    •Business Lite Plus (3Mb) is now Business Lite Plus Next Generation[/HTML]
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like they've given up on the download caps for most NGB people (except home starter?).
    Happy Days if it's true!! (once they enable my exchange!!) ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On the page for all the packages with "unlimited" download on the website there's this little snippet ...
    Unlimited usage allowance

With up to 24 Mb broadband you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month. For more information see the standard
    Broadband Terms and Conditions.

See http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/ngb/44/ for example (click on the NGB Ultimate tab and scroll down a bit.)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I'm on ordinary 8Mb Advanced Broadband.
    Does this mean that when the great day comes and I get the NGB 8Mb Advanced that I will be automatically upped to the 24mb Ultimate package?
    Seems too good to be true!
    Does this mean the end for the old standard Netopia 3347NWG?
    I understand it can't take more than 10Mb.
    Will this new speed be classified as ADSL2? or is there more to it than just speed?
    What prompted all this, anyway? UPC?

Sorry strike that.
    It should be 7Mb Advanced.
    I get 6+ usually, so I would expect to do fairly well on this upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I'm on ordinary 8Mb Advanced Broadband.
    Does this mean that when the great day comes and I get the NGB 8Mb Advanced that I will be automatically upped to the 24mb Ultimate package?
    Seems too good to be true!
    Does this mean the end for the old standard Netopia 3347NWG?
    I understand it can't take more than 10Mb.
    Will this new speed be classified as ADSL2? or is there more to it than just speed?
    What prompted all this, anyway? UPC?

Ainiseoir - Taking your questions in turn...
    1) Providing your line can attain 9Mb+ then you'll be upgraded to 24Mb NGB Ultimate for free. If you have an ADSL1 modem then a replacement ADSL2+ modem will be posted to you free of charge.

2) If your line cannot attain 9Mb (ie. 8Mb or less) then you'll be moved to NGB Regular (which was upgraded from 30GB usage allowance to unlimited on 7th March 2011) with a price drop from €39.82 to €29.99 inc Vat. In this case it's essentially the same unlimited 8Mb NGB product but for €29.99.

Thank you Bruno!
    Seems like win-win at the minute.
    All I need now is to get NGB enabled.
    It seems to be taking it's time to migrate to the Southwest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

It came a month late for me though, I got hit with a 20 euro extra download bill for last month. Looking into getting UPC at the moment I can get the 50Mb for less then Eircom are charging me for 8 (only getting 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭ted1

to late for me i've been stung with going over the 30g limit so i voted with my wallet and left then. I was on ngb 8mb. Apple tv kept pushing me over the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I was on 3Mb originally and was moved to NGB of about 7Mb with a 30GB limit whenever it rolled out originally.

I see my stats show 'unlimited' as my allowance now, does that mean im on a fair useage 'limit' of 250GB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

I was on 3Mb originally and was moved to NGB of about 7Mb with a 30GB limit whenever it rolled out originally.

I see my stats show 'unlimited' as my allowance now, does that mean im on a fair useage 'limit' of 250GB?

That's correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

ted1 wrote: »
    to late for me i've been stung with going over the 30g limit so i voted with my wallet and left then. I was on ngb 8mb. Apple tv kept pushing me over the limit.

I too was stung for going over the 30GB allowance on a couple of bills before I copped onto the change in charging for going over the limited. Have stayed within the limit for the past 2 months but this month when checking Usage my product allowance has changed from 30GB to Unlimited. I've not upgraded nor have I had any correspondence from Eircom. It's a bit odd, one month they are charging me for going over 30gb's next I have an unlimited download allowance or 250gb's under the fair usage, still a bit more than 30gb's.

And btw how do they get away with calling a 250gb allowance unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

I too was stung for going over the 30GB allowance on a couple of bills before I copped onto the change in charging for going over the limited. Have stayed within the limit for the past 2 months but this month when checking Usage my product allowance has changed from 30GB to Unlimited. I've not upgraded nor have I had any correspondence from Eircom. It's a bit odd, one month they are charging me for going over 30gb's next I have an unlimited download allowance or 250gb's under the fair usage, still a bit more than 30gb's.

And btw how do they get away with calling a 250gb allowance unlimited.

What could you have been downloading that exceeds 30 gigabytes!?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I do over 100GB per month easy.

Itunes movies rentals, youtube HD, RTE player, Steam/Xbox/PS3 game downloads, cloud backup services, flickr, etc. it really is very easy to use a lot of bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A HD film from itunes is 3.5gb. so all you have to do is to watch 2 movies a week to get to. 28Gb now your down to 2gb. allow for music streaming, you tube, genreal useage its easy enough to go over.

Advertisement