Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cable tension?

• 10-05-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

well lads im back with more trouble :D my rear derailleur isnt shifting properly, ive narrowed the problem down to the tension in the gear cable, its either too high for the cable to go back down the gears or too low for it to go up i cant get no happy middle ground, im after buying myself a new gear cable so im going to go about replacing that now should that fix the problem? is it hard to replace a gear cable? first time doing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭corkchef

you can try this site

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/housing-length

hope it helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

It's easy enough to replace. Putting the new cable in place on the bike is simple enough. When it's on and before attaching the cable to the rear der, shift to the lowest cog at the back (you'll need to pull the cable yourself to get tension on it), adjust the lower limit screw on the rear der so the jockey wheels are in line with the smallest cog, then thread the cable thru the derailleur, pull it tight and screw the plate thing in.

You may need some slight tension adjustments to get it perfect but that should be 90% there more or less.

e: oh yeah forgot to say, make sure you cut the housing the right length!! Measure twice cut once as they say. Replacing the cables on a bike over the winter I cut the rear brake house about 2 inches too short, handlebars wouldn't turn fully. Cut the housing before mounting but leave the inner until you're finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

well lads im back with more trouble

Have you considered taking up Golf? Can't go much wrong with a set of clubs!(or can he) :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How old is the Rear Derailer and chain? If there is excess "play" in the RD and/or chain, the cable may not solve the problem.

Fit the cable anyway, as per "mfdc" instructions. It certainly won't do any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thanks for all the help lads (and yes i would probably feck up golfing equipment also :D) bought a good gear cable from halfords, replaced it (sort of as i dont have the correct tools for cutting crimping etc.) and bobs your uncle shes working again, il be a qualified mechanic after all this ha :D

• Advertisement

what tools should i have for cutting gear cables and crimping those metal yokes at the end of the cable? figure il have to buy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

A lump hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A cable cutter. You really need this, don't try to use a pliers.

You can actually cut them neatly with a large hammer and sharp chisel on a block, a mechanic in Iran used this method for me, but just get the cable cutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A cable cutter also will allow you the crimp the end cap.

Though someone here (Lumen, I think) said that superglue is as good. I know some people solder the cable end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

blorg wrote: »
    can actually cut them neatly with a large hammer and sharp chisel on a block

Don't give IceSeany any idea's, theres already a BoingoGone in a heap in his shed! :D

• Advertisement

its working these days so it is :D although there is a bloody annoying creaking coming from either the cranks or swingarm pivot (and i replaced both the bb cranks bearings and bushings :rolleyes: ) i figure il always find something wrong with any bike anyway

Advertisement