Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For C&C: Too much post-processing?

• 10-05-2011 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

I already posted these to the random thread, but I'm hoping to get some C&C, in particular I'm wondering am I over-cooking the post-processing? Though any feedback would be good, the more critical the better - thanks!

5700766084_39a9593f6f_z.jpg

5681068497_5dae0eaf44_z.jpg

5681629882_04a526e844_z.jpg

5681068929_e3796bea99_z.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I quite like the composition on these. One thing to watch out for. Don't make the source of light, ie the clouds and sky, darker than the general scene. It doesn't happen like that in nature and looks odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

short answer, yes; they don't look realistic.
    the third is the one where you got away with it; the toning adds an obviously artificial feel to it, which gives 'licence' to the other PP, if you follow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PureRGB

thanks magicbastarder & oshead - Sounds like as well as the post-processing I need to be careful of how I use my 3-stop ND grad filter then as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭linearcutter

I have to say, compared to some OTT HDR stuff you see these days, I think these are quite restrained and subtly done. Nice job.

In terms of grading something creatively, you have licence to excentuate something in a subtle way or to go to town on it. I don't think it always has to be a matter of primary concern to keep something looking realistic or naturally occurring looking.

In my opinion, the amount of PP you do is a very subjective thing, and depends on your end brief, but the things to always look out for are artifacts like excessive noise and ghosting around edges. That kind of stuff screams overcooked to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm only really starting to get into the power of post processing on photos over the last few months but here are my thoughts,

1. Slightly overdone, particularly in the clouds.
    2. I like the effect but the blue and red highlights (as subtle as they are) don't do it for me in this photo. (EDIT: actually the more I look back on it, the more it grows on me)
    3. I like this. Cool photo and nice pp effect. Maybe a tad too bright around the center but I still like.
    4. I don't think the pp has been overdone in this one but not a fan of the composition either.

• Advertisement

thanks for the comments linearcutter & Bacchus. Good point linearcutter about PP being a very subjective thing - just its a shame there isn't a PP good taste handbook you can buy :-) So its seems either 1. err on the side of subtly to the point its not really possible to detect any PP or 2. Make it obvious, provided it suits the image. With option 1 being far less risky of completely and utterly polarising people's opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I actually like this set. I think the PP has been overdone on the first shot but it works for me. The compositions overall are really good and that is what makes the whole set interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i personally like all of the shots, i dont think the post processing is too much and even if it was and the shot still looks visually appealling dont see what the problem would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like all of them and in my opinion there is no such thing as too much pp unless you're creating problems with how it will print. It's like someone asking Have I used too much paint on my canvas? The person who prefers watercolour will say yes and the person who likes oil will say no. It's only a preference.
    The first is great. I love it.
    the second I'm less keen on because it looks too much like selective colour
    I love the third
    the last one is good apart from the dark art in the sky upper left. It doesn't look real compared to the style of the rest of the picture.
    but hey, this is just my personal opinion.

thanks for the feedback squareballoon, puddles22, swingking! I do think as I'm very heavily involved in image processing, I probably need to ease off on the post processing now and then though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭linearcutter

If you feel like you're spending more time PP'ing than you should be....then you probably are. Do you shoot something with the intention of playing around with it afterward? Maybe if you consciously try to achieve some creative results in camera, and limit yourself to the crop tool or something equally blunt for a while?

Just a thought!

Advertisement