Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with Norton

• 10-05-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

I hope someone can shed some light on this please. I have a Sony Vaio laptop from which I stream movies/music/pictures to my Philips 40pfl8605H tv. Now it always worked well....that is until i installed the recent Norton. Now when I try to access my laptops content through my TV, the folders cant seem to be read...ie the tv says the folder is empty. I have checked the norton firewall and the philips tv is not blocked. I am also running a Lacie Lacinema and I can access the laptop folders through that and it streams perfectly. I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just remove norton, you are gaining nothing by having that hideous software installed. If your looking for a decent anti-virus program get Microsoft's freebie just google

Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Thanks Fionny. Thought I was protecting myself but it has just caused more hassle. Funny the previous version of Norton didn't seem to cause any problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

In all honesty Norton is a resource hungry and expensive piece of software when the free versions out there do the job better! You will notice a speed increase without norton on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Norton is awful. It tried to piggieback on an nVidia drivers installation on me once. You might need to get a Norton Removal Tool as I don't think the software comes with a reliable uninstaller.

Just do what Fionny suggests. MS Security Essentials is actually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

So you guys are saying that MSE and other free av's has better protection than Norton's latest suite? I'm sorry but you are very wrong. You're thinking back to at least 4 years ago. It has dramatically changed since then.

Also MSE isn't as good as everybody on here makes out. It scores quite low in AV tests. Avast free is a much better option and has more features. It is also very light on the system. MSE is a actually heavier

OP, your best bet is to head over to the Norton Forums to get get the problem (probably something simple) sovled :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

T0mmyM wrote: »

OP, your best bet is to head over to the Norton Forums to get get the problem (probably something simple) sovled :).
    Why not here? This forum can cover the problem. Unfortunately nobody is willing to actually help troubleshoot the error, aside from "derp just get rid of it" Instead of trying to track down what specific setting is actually causing the issue. I use Norton on my PCs plus a Sony Netbox and have encountered no similar issue, being able to happily stream movies from PC to TV, so it can't be as simple as blaming Norton outright.

We need more information OP. Have you tinkered with the TV settings? What folder are you trying to view in the laptop? What is the content and what file type is it? What are your share settings? Did these exact settings, files and folders function properly before installing Norton?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

why not here? Well most people here just seem to bash Norton and don't use it or have much experience with it. Going over to the place where they know the product inside out would be much wiser and faster :)

OP, I have used Norton for the past few years but don't currently have it installed and have not encountered the issue you have.

On the main UI you could try turning off the "Smart Firewall" to eliminate the possibility of Firewall being the problem :)

Advertisement