Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC giving out phone number to third party ?

• 10-05-2011 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi Guys,

Did any of you register to the UPC phone and internet deal and started receiving calls ?

I got a call from Airtricity and also from some scamming company....

Also I never gave out my upc number because I actually don't know it so I went to UPC on twitter and they told me this:
    WeAreUPC_IE UPC Newsroom Ireland
    @AntonieGeerts Hi thanks for your tweet:)UPC doesnt sell customer info on2 other companies as it would contravene data protection guidelines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I got a call from some fellow telling me I had downloaded a virus and my computer was infected,

I absolutely ripped into him and he hung up

I rang UPC and they said that my number wasnt private so there is nothing they can do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The National Directory Database records your preference for receiving cold calls (spam calls in other words). Everyone is on it by default, and you must opt out if you don't want such calls. Your telephone provider (UPC) can change this for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Kev. wrote: »
    I got a call from some fellow telling me I had downloaded a virus and my computer was infected,
    i've had 2 different relatives in the UK with the same issue and one of them doesn't even have their computer online. it's a scam to get money out of you that appears to be doing the rounds.

my mum also had one from someone claiming to be from sky saying they had incorrect bank details and could she give them to her again so they could fix their records.

i put all my UK based family landline numbers onto the UK's 'do not call' anti-canvassing list a year or so ago, but since the rise of the non-uk based callcentre, these things have moved offshore and are free to call & spam whoever they like again now with no fear of reprisals from the UK authorities and i imagine it's the same here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

My sister in law used to get a call a week from that virus guy, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

If I hadn't of got into the rage I did then I could of had some fun with the scammer.

The funny thing is I can see how they get people,he knew my name and sounded confident

The thing he didnt realize is I have two macs....haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

All phone number ranges allocated to Telecom companies here are available on comreg dot ie for anyone to view.
    This gives the them the first few common numbers and the start and stop range numbers along with a basic geographic location. All they do then is start dialling numbers between both ranges and hope someone picks up.
    It's that simple.:mad:

So OP they weren't ringing you but just a not so random number you happen to have.

I've had plenty of the computer scam calls over the last few weeks.I'm on a different provider.
    All caller Id's started with 000 or 0000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

So OP they weren't ringing you but just a not so random number you happen to have.

actually wrong, we got the same calls as OP from airtricity and they asked for me by name. when i blew up in his face over it he said that the numbers are provided by eircom. Im a UPC customer and rarely give out my number at all cause i dont even know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

actually wrong, we got the same calls as OP from airtricity and they asked for me by name. when i blew up in his face over it he said that the numbers are provided by eircom. Im a UPC customer and rarely give out my number at all cause i dont even know it.

If you have a number, then it's on the National Directory Database. The Airtricity guy won't know where the number came from, so he probably guessed eircom, since that would be right in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

actually wrong, we got the same calls as OP from airtricity and they asked for me by name..

I was talking more in connection with calls from scammers that don't know your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I got a few calls from the same scammers (or at least the same scam) and they new my name and address. I am on eircom at the moment (not for much longer).

• Advertisement
Advertisement