Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butterfield Ave. / Firhouse Road Road Works

Options
  • 10-05-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else pass by this junction. There has been road works ongoing for the last 8 months now. They have extended further into the Firhouse Road and up to the Old Bridge Road. All I can see they are doing is widening footpaths and resurfacing the road. However this has taken over 8 months! I drive by and see lads doing the usual work: breastfeeding the shovel, looking at cones, looking at traffic lights. All key tasks. Theres plenty of workers there each day so I can assume the council have put a lot of money into this, although I have no idea what the end result will be as I see no noticeable difference between the layout of the road since the works began.

This stretch of road going all the way up to the Old Mill Pub in Firhouse has continuously had some form of road works going on for about the last 3-4 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Maybe we should hire these guys?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/24/japanese-repair-quake-ravaged-road-in-just-six-days/

Yes, I pass that road every day and progress is frustratingly slow. It seems like its going to take ages for them to finish. Looks like they don't have enough manpower there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

^^^^ i want those guys on the job :D
    yes i pass it too every day and never have i seen worker work any slower truly is frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think they're just keeping themselves going as long as possible, slow it out. Its not even causing many delays because they're hardly doing a tap of work! It could be our equivalent of the Three Gorges Dam at this rate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

Link to project site on dcc -link
    With 24hour bus lanes traffic is going to be worse during peak times when it's finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

This has been a complete pain and it hasn't got any better! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

totoal wrote: »
    Link to project site on dcc -link
    With 24hour bus lanes traffic is going to be worse during peak times when it's finished!

Why?

No traffic lanes are being removed. What is being done is the widening of the road to incorporate a bus lane on each side of the road which is much needed in the morning and evening peaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

lxflyer wrote: »
    Why?

No traffic lanes are being removed. What is being done is the widening of the road to incorporate a bus lane on each side of the road which is much needed in the morning and evening peaks.
    I see (sections of) BUS Lanes where currently there are 2 traffic lanes.

newbuslanes.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

shouldnt we all be getting buses instead of using cars anyway isnt that what we are constantly being told to do :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It is, but they obviously aren't taking to Dublin Bus who keep either cutting routes completely or thinning out existing services. "Restructuring" I believe they call it...

It was the same with the Killininey Road in Ballycullen. They did a whole set of roadworks, finished up and then came back and did a different set again. Widened the road massively just to box it in with white lines. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I think they're just keeping themselves going as long as possible, slow it out. Its not even causing many delays because they're hardly doing a tap of work! It could be our equivalent of the Three Gorges Dam at this rate ;)

Most council jobs are outsourced to external contractors on fixed price contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭oconnoao

These roadworks are annoying me more and more as it's getting nearer completion - it looks like the only change are bigger cycle lanes...Also have they done away with the yield to turn left onto Knocklyon road?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

oconnoao wrote: »
    These roadworks are annoying me more and more as it's getting nearer completion - it looks like the only change are bigger cycle lanes...Also have they done away with the yield to turn left onto Knocklyon road?! :confused:

The bus lanes have yet to be painted onto the roads.

Advertisement