Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do sessions work? (n00bie trad question)

Options
  • 10-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've got a bosca ceoil and I can play a few tunes on it. I don't understand exactly how sessions are organized. Do a few people turn up and say "Ok let's start with Star of Munster in the key of G" and all all start playing?
    Do players typically have such an ear for music that they don't need to discuss the key of the tunes beforehand?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Do a few people turn up and say "Ok let's start with Star of Munster in the key of G" and all all start playing?

I don't know about beginner sessions, or sessions organised amongst a few friends, but in a typical session this would not happen. Someone starts up a tune and everyone who knows it joins in, that's it. No warnings before hand of the tune name or key. Fortunately most tunes have a standard key, though not all! Depends who you're playing with or who starts up the tune.
    Do players typically have such an ear for music that they don't need to discuss the key of the tunes beforehand?

Regarding tunes as I said most have a standard key, so you try joining in with that first, you'll quickly hear if you're in the wrong key, if you are you just ask one of the more regular session go-ers what the key is. With songs however there's never a set key so if you're joining in you'd want to find the right key with your instrument as quickly as possible. Again there's rarely a warning before hand of the key, a lot of singers (unless they play an instrument as well) usually don't even know what key they sing in. So normally they would just start singing and musicians would find them as quickly as possible. It's something that will improve for you with experience. That's why it's important to get out there to sessions and not sit at home playing alone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Sorry, I should add not to be intimidated by any of this. Just let people know you're new to sessions and don't be afraid to ask questions, if it's a friendly session they'll help and encourage you, if not then find another session! If you stay with a good session you'll learn over time what keys they play and sing in. It's also good if you record the entire session and practice at home with the recordings. Do ask first before recording them of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

Just a word of warning if you are ne to playing in sessions. Some sessions are exactly what they say they are, "a session". Others unfortunatly arent, they are more a gig where a few get together and they expect people to sit and listen to them and they arent very welcoming to outsiders joining in. If you happen to be unlucky and go to one of these "gigs" it can be very off putting. Fortunatly a lot of sessions are very open and are very inclusive of anyone new who wants to play in them.
    Regarding the different keys, as the previous poster said most tunes are played in the same key no matter where you go. My advice is not to get hung up on keys. Find a session you know you are happy in and let it flow...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ballinue

I play in sessions on a regular weekly basis in different pubs as some other
    people pointed out in most cases the key the tune is played in is not mentioned beforehand and one particular player at one venue has been playing music for fifty years and also plays with a gigging group has told me
    that he does not know what key he plays in but he is such an experienced
    musician no matter what key a tune is played in he automatically plays in
    that key, if you ask him what key is that his reply " I know nothing about keys". Most traditional Irish music is played in either D or G in some cases
    C so if you can play in these keys you are fully equipped to play in sessions
    do not be put off if you cannot play in all of these keys one is enough to get you going when I started I did not know what key I was playing in you learn that as you go along you would be surprised how quickly you will pick it up.
    If you find yourself in the Aughrim Co Galway area any sunday night we would be delighted to have you play along, no pressure,any help we can
    give, and you would be most welcome and that invitation is open to anyone, beginner or otherwise who feels like coming along any sunday night.

Advertisement