Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My pedal fell off

• 10-05-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I was cycling home recently and my pedal fell off! Basically the inside of the pedal arm has stripped out so I cannot screw back in the pedal (I am screwing it in the right direction).

I probably will have to take it to the bike shop though I wanted to get some ones feedback regarding whether I could;

1) Do it myself and is it a big job?

2) If I have to take it to the bike shop any idea of how much it would cost to fix (Yes I can ask the bike shop for an estimate but would rather have an idea before I go).

I have attached some pics.

I did try and place some tape around the thread to give it “bite” but it would not compensate for the lack of thread internally on the pedal arm.

Any info on this is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

new crank/crankset most likely, maybe new pedal too..
    what make of bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Looks the threads in the crank arm are nackered. New chainset methinks. Could be a job inc parts over €150, new chainset, pedals, maybe then depending on wear you might need a new chain and back sprockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You might be able to get the threads retapped, but other than that it's a new crankset I think.

And maybe some lube for the chain too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

shame to knacker a 400 lx biopace chainset... ask around see if anyone will tap it out and put what's called a helicoil into it... not a big procedure but you will need someone who knows what they are about to get it straight... if you are in any way technically minded this kit is what you need... http://www.melpintoimports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=702&osCsid=e393a8be357b84de927a3d0acedaf86d ... I cant say for certain but i'm sure some bikeshop in dublin will do it... ask around...

edit: im assuming you are in dublin re. your handle ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

ask around see if anyone will tap it out and put what's called a helicoil into it.

+1 i've read up on this procedure and it doesn't seem like that big a deal assuming you find somewhere that will do it. I'm guessing the bigger cycle shops will have the relevant equipment and should cost you about €25-€30 (total guess based on internet info) The word to remember here is "HELICOIL"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I guess a shop would know what you mean if you asked about a pedal arm helicoil repair but they aren't helicoils as such, they are cast bushes as opposed to coils but now I'm just being anal;)
    Mikes bikes in Dun Laoghaire can do it for you or if you're nearer the city center look me up!
    The results aren't great but it does work, Cyclo tools are discontinuing their bush repair kit soon(or so I'm told), I don't have any long, long term experience with how they last.
    But in this case I would probably suggest letting go and replacing the chainset, maybe treat your self and upgrade to an external BB:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. The bike is a Matterhorn Apollo which I bought second hand for 85 euro so I might give Mikes bikes a shout regarding the Helicoil,

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Try moto engineering. TiG weld a bolt onto the arm, re drill and tap to 1/2"

Advertisement