Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taisce object to Altitude project

Options
  • 10-05-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/local/altitude_branded_unsustainable_1_2666271

Absolute disgrace. Dundalk is on it's knees and going to the wall and some hippy from Dunleer objects to this???? The same thing that happened the outlet village being objected to by the Reid's or the private hospital being objected to by Sinn Fein
    Why is it any time there is a chance to get something decent in the town that will attract jobs and get some money in to the town some ásshole objects to it. I'm absolutely raging over this.

I would challange Mr Crilly to walk down clanbrassil street street and count the number of closed shops and shops crying out for business and tell them that potentially bringing millions of people to the town is a bad thing. No it's better to have people on the breadline than to possibly knock down a few trees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

bloody disgrace !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That'll be what, 2-3 years of hearings and back-scratching then I assume? Probably as good as dead. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

“To think that the town of Dundalk could manage through traffic of 6.5 million/17,000 people a day is farcical and reflective of the mentality that has us and future generations in hoc to the IMF., ECB, and the European Union.
    i was trying to find something that tied that number to the development as a increase or something but i cant... so i have to say; 17,000 a day as thorugh traffic between the two biggest cities on the island... he finds this suprising!
    personallly i think its time that people have to be resident in an area in order to object. the time of some man who owns a holiday home/the rival construction firm putting in an objection has to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Totally agree with your post doncarlos.
    It is easy for any Gob****e to join An Taisce and object to any planning application that has been granted.
    This project by Innovative Leisure Systems Ltd is a blessing to the people of Dundalk.
    The €70 million development, if given the gren light will be built on a site adjacent to Dundalk Stadium which is waste land, will create 500 jobs initially for Dundalk with another 1000 to follow if phase two and three get the green light.
    As you say, when the Country is on it's knees with people struggling to pay bills, We get some clown that is probably earning quite a lot of money lodge an objection under An Taisce to halt the Project.
    Hopefully An bord Pleanála will see that this is benifical to all of us and approve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

An Taisce seem to object to all big developments, my only concern about the altitude project is how they are going to fund it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They object to this and not to the "unnecessary" redevelopment of the square :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

please dont brand this fella from dunleer, he only lives here.

he has also objected to the opening of the train station in dunleer, only for that we would have gotten it, and he also has objected to numerous people's planning permission in dunleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Who would want to stop progress and jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

qc3 wrote: »
    It is easy for any Gob****e to join An Taisce and object to any planning application that has been granted.

That is wholly untrue, individual members of An Taisce can't make objections in the name of An Taisce and it would certainly not be the case that someone could just join and 5 minutes later get the local association to make a submission on what might happen to be their personal hobby-horse. It is also the case that An Taisce can't retrospective object to developments that have been granted planning permission unless they have made a submission to the original application or unless there was some screw up with the original application process.

And if you're that concerned about the closed shops on clanbrassil street, then I presume you were objecting over the past decades to the out of town developments that sucked the business out of the town? Or were you not that bothered at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

Well, he being realistic. We have had developments before, look at the Xerox Technology Park. Were we told at the time that we will have 2000 people employed there with 4 factories. What happened there? There are only 400 employed an d 1 factory open. Halifax of another unit there. Also look at the Ice Dome. Now closed. Also, JJB Sports are cloing some of their outlet around the country. I know Dundalk is remaining open. The other units in that complex are closed. Why are they not being used. Promises have been made in the past but they don't live up to their expectations. The outlet out in Ballymac would have killed the centre of town. I would love to see business coming to Clanbrassil Street not to the outskirts. Can we have our town centre back and then work outwards. It has gone to the outskirts and the centre of town is a ghost town.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

event wrote: »
    please dont brand this fella from dunleer, he only lives here.

Is he not from Dublin?

I think he ran in the recent general election and got 200 or so votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

This cant really be compared to Xerox, this is exactly what Ireland needs not just Dundalk, there is a serious lack of facilities like it to attract people here, nothing has replaced Mosney since its closure and a entertainment facility in the north east is long overdue.

As for complaining about the town centre being dead, thats just part of the modern world, no one wants to drive into a town centre looking for limited parking spaces when they can visit a ready made facility that will supply better shops in a better setting and supply ample parking place.

The site would be just off the M1 and out of the town, to say the town couldn't handle the through traffic is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    Well, he being realistic. We have had developments before, look at the Xerox Technology Park. Were we told at the time that we will have 2000 people employed there with 4 factories. What happened there? There are only 400 employed an d 1 factory open. Halifax of another unit there. Also look at the Ice Dome. Now closed. Also, JJB Sports are cloing some of their outlet around the country. I know Dundalk is remaining open. The other units in that complex are closed. Why are they not being used. Promises have been made in the past but they don't live up to their expectations. The outlet out in Ballymac would have killed the centre of town. I would love to see business coming to Clanbrassil Street not to the outskirts. Can we have our town centre back and then work outwards. It has gone to the outskirts and the centre of town is a ghost town.....

What happened with Xerox is that the Xerox organisation invested billions in new inkjet technology and were expecting a partner to come in with them to launch the product. When the couldn't find a partner willing they lost billions and had to scale right back. Shares dropped from $80 to $8 and factories were closed worldwide.

The Ice Dome closed to due a problem with the chemical used in the ice failed causing the ice to melt. There are companies in negotiations to take over the running.

I would agree about your point about getting the centre of the town back but surely this scale of investment could only help with that. The thousands of people that are staying in the resort are not going to remain in the hotel/slopes/concert arena for the duration of their stay. They are going to travel to Dundalk, Carlingford, Omeath etc and spend money in pubs, restaurants, shops there.
    Potential investors in the town would also see that millions of tourists visit each year and this would in turn increase jobs even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Is he not from Dublin?

I think he ran in the recent general election and got 200 or so votes.

not too sure where's he's from

aye he ran in the elections, got damn all votes

a plague is what he is

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

doncarlos wrote: »
    What happened with Xerox is that the Xerox organisation invested billions in new inkjet technology and were expecting a partner to come in with them to launch the product. When the couldn't find a partner willing they lost billions and had to scale right back. Shares dropped from $80 to $8 and factories were closed worldwide.

The Ice Dome closed to due a problem with the chemical used in the ice failed causing the ice to melt. There are companies in negotiations to take over the running.

I would agree about your point about getting the centre of the town back but surely this scale of investment could only help with that. The thousands of people that are staying in the resort are not going to remain in the hotel/slopes/concert arena for the duration of their stay. They are going to travel to Dundalk, Carlingford, Omeath etc and spend money in pubs, restaurants, shops there.

Potential investors in the town would also see that millions of tourists visit each year and this would in turn increase jobs even further.

Amazing that you can write "The thousands of people that are staying in the resort are not going to remain in the hotel/slopes/concert arena for the duration of their stay. They are going to travel to Dundalk, Carlingford, Omeath etc and spend money in pubs, restaurants, shops there. " in the present tense about a development that even if it was built might well never have those thousands or millions of visitors or make enough money to be commercially viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

qc3 wrote: »
    This project by Innovative Leisure Systems Ltd is a blessing to the people of Dundalk.
    The €70 million development, if given the gren light will be built on a site adjacent to Dundalk Stadium which is waste land, will create 500 jobs initially for Dundalk with another 1000 to follow if phase two and three get the green light.
    As you say, when the Country is on it's knees with people struggling to pay bills, We get some clown that is probably earning quite a lot of money lodge an objection under An Taisce to halt the Project.
    Hopefully An bord Pleanála will see that this is benifical to all of us and approve it.

The people are on their kness and struggling to pay bills yet you think that thousands will go to this thing each month?

Where are people going to get the money for it?

Exactly how viable is it going to be?

kingkane wrote: »
    Amazing that you can write "The thousands of people that are staying in the resort are not going to remain in the hotel/slopes/concert arena for the duration of their stay. They are going to travel to Dundalk, Carlingford, Omeath etc and spend money in pubs, restaurants, shops there. " in the present tense about a development that even if it was built might well never have those thousands or millions of visitors or make enough money to be commercially viable.

What's so amazing about it??

Of course it may not be commercially viable. That is a risk the developers are taking but do you realistically think someone is going to invest almost half a billion if they were not sure it would be a success. There is nothing like this on this Island and will not only attract domestic tourists but also international in my opinion.

reprazant wrote: »
    The people are on their kness and struggling to pay bills yet you think that thousands will go to this thing each month?

Where are people going to get the money for it?

Exactly how viable is it going to be?

"The people"??

As much as this country is struggling there is still plenty of wealth. I live in Dublin and the place is packed at the weekends no evidence of people on their knees and struggling to pay bills there?? People are still travelling to the traditional tourist areas of the country such as Galway and Kilkenny.
    How much would would you say the town of Dundalk makes from tourism annually? Per head of population I'd say it's the worst in the country.
    Here is an opportunity for us to have a world class facility that will not only provide a tourism boost to the region but also create 1500 direct jobs and people are really against this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

"The people"??

As much as this country is struggling there is still plenty of wealth. I live in Dublin and the place is packed at the weekends no evidence of people on their knees and struggling to pay bills there?? People are still travelling to the traditional tourist areas of the country such as Galway and Kilkenny.
    How much would would you say the town of Dundalk makes from tourism annually? Per head of population I'd say it's the worst in the country.
    Here is an opportunity for us to have a world class facility that will not only provide a tourism boost to the region but also create 1500 direct jobs and people are really against this?

It will only be a boost if it is viable. If it can be proved that it is viable, then it will get built.

Otherwise it will not.

I also, I was mentioned people struggling to pay their bills as that was what was what qc3 stated in his post. But do you honestly think that there is no evidence of people struggling in Dublin? Seriously?

Dublin is packed on the weekend. With what type of people? Young people with no responsibilities? Are these the people this place wants to attract? Or is it people with young families? You know, the ones that you don't see out as they are struggling with mortgages, bills and kids to feed.

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    It will only be a boost if it is viable. If it can be proved that it is viable, then it will get built.

Otherwise it will not.

I also, I was mentioned people struggling to pay their bills as that was what was what qc3 stated in his post. But do you honestly think that there is no evidence of people struggling in Dublin? Seriously?

Dublin is packed on the weekend. With what type of people? Young people with no responsibilities? Are these the people this place wants to attract? Or is it people with young families? You know, the ones that you don't see out as they are struggling with mortgages, bills and kids to feed.

1. How can you "prove" something is viable before it opens for business? Surely it will only be someone's opinion on whether or not they think it will be viable.
    2. Of course that's the people you want to attract these are people with disposable income and happy to spend. If the resort was to only cater for people with young families then maybe my first point was wrong and they company proved that their business model wasn't viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

1. How can you "prove" something is viable before it opens for business? Surely it will only be someone's opinion on whether or not they think it will be viable.
    Probably basing that on the fact that the ice ring is closed, but that was close due to other factors.

As for Altitude not being viable, look at Mosney and how that did durning the '80s and Mosney is greatly missed. I for one hopes that Altitude will go ahead and I'll be going to it :)

Advertisement