Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 Audi A4 TDI. Driver door elec problems.

Options
  • 10-05-2011 4:01pm

Audi A4 TDI 1.9 (2002)

Hi Ya'll

Just wondering if someone can help me.

The alarm never worked on my car (well, I presume it has an alarm).

Recently, the central locking has been acting up, I've had to press the lock button a few times for the lights to come on, all because the driver door wasn't locking.

Even more recently, when the door was fully open the windows, mirror controls and the red light on the actual door wouldn't work, they would only work when the door was half or fully closed.

As I'm prepping it to sell it, I went out to try and fix it today, sprayed a little WD40 on the door catch etc to try loosen it thinking thats why it wouldn't lock.

But now, nothing works, door open or door closed, the alarm light stays red, doesn't flash, the central locking, windows and mirror controls dont work and the interior lights stay on.

I've done a bit of looking around and found these:

Firstly (but least likely) this:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68742

I've checked this module and the ones under the seats, no problems, all connected and no wetness.

Secondly, I found this thread (most likely):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828619
    This one seems to make the most sense, because of the problems I had with the door wide open etc etc.

Finally, while looking around at these wires between the door and the car, I found the thing in the photo loose, I pulled it a little (it was not connected) to see what it was...should this be connected to something, more importantly is this the root of my problems?

v75zcw.jpg

So my questions are:
    • Is the most likely problem the second ie. an issue with the wires between door and car?
    • More specifically, is it the fact that the thing in the photo is loose? If so, where does this go?
    • Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what the cause of the problem could be?(N.b - I've checked all fuses, nothing blown)
    • If its none of the above or if its something I cannot fix myself, can anyone recommend a cheaper than main dealer garage or auto-electrical place that could do it for me, anyone have any idea how much it would cost. Preferably somewhere round Swords or Northside Dublin.

Cheers lads, appreciate your help!

Spy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Is that connector for the door loom - if so then if its not connected, nothing will work on the drivers side door. There should be a slot for it on the car frame where the door wires are.

Usually what happens is that the wires going from the car to the door break from repeated opening and closing of the door. If you are any good at soldering you can resolder in some patches.

You need to peel back the rubber protective cover - shown below to check the wires

door20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

that connector to me looks like your obd2 diagnostic socket

that connector to me looks like your obd2 diagnostic socket

Yep, your bang on, pulled the plastic interior off, couldn't find anywhere for it to go, so thats what it is.
    voxpop wrote: »

You need to peel back the rubber protective cover - shown below to check the wires
    Just done that, and bingo, I think we have our problem.

As you can see below, the Red/Black and Brown wires are broken.

1zbdvgl.jpg

I'm 99% sure this is what the problem is, but I'm far from a mechanic or electrician, could someone confirm this for me?

Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable fixing this myself, can anyone recommend somewhere round Swords or Northside Dublin that could do this for me (the cheaper the better)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭foreman

This happened on my 02 A4 last week.. Speaker not workin in door. Need to remove the door card to repair wires in comfort. Awkward enough job and **** design as cables to tight,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patolocko67

Hi I have a problem with the window on my a4. The window refused to go up or down without any warning. I did the usual investigation and found that the motor was working perfectly. I then noticed a wire rope tangled in the cog that the motor fits into. What can I do, is this a job I can go at myself or am I looking at big money having a mechanic doing it? Can the wire be replaced or is it a whole inner unit? Is this part something you would get at a breakers? Thanks in advance .:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Window regulator needs to be replaced. It can be a diy job, but it really depends on how handy you are. expect somewhere in the region of €80 to €100 for a non OEM replacment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patolocko67

thanks for the advise

Advertisement