Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken mudguard

• 10-05-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Had the experience recently of an SKS mudguard breaking (just behind the brake bridge connector) during a ride. It jammed on the tyre, shaved rubber off the tyre and stopped the bike dead.

Any thoughts? Do I need to do something different to stop this happening again? Is it just a risk with mudguards? Is it more likely with a lot of riding on Irish roads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

alcyst wrote: »
    Had the experience recently of an SKS mudguard breaking (just behind the brake bridge connector) during a ride. It jammed on the tyre, shaved rubber off the tyre and stopped the bike dead.

Any thoughts? Do I need to do something different to stop this happening again? Is it just a risk with mudguards? Is it more likely with a lot of riding on Irish roads?

Plastic cable/zipp ties...Best invention ever.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new sks mudguards have front mounts that are supposed to snap if they get pulled through never had it happen so dont know how well it works

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

its happened me with sks cromoplastic mudguard alright... one set is held together with cableties, epoxy putty, guinness can, pieces of tyre and pop-rivets... its had a fair auld innings, 3-4 years seasonal riding... i think they are prone to shattering across the drill holes but from what i've seen its a common occurrence on that type...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

A broken mudguard isn't the problem, the problem is losing control of the bike. In this case fish-tailing to a stop from 25-30km/h in light traffic on a flat road was not a big deal.
    This mudguard was about 7 months old. If they do break, maybe I was just unlucky the way it fell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same happened to me, not too impressed as it happened on my front wheel and could have caused a massive accident, luckily just a few bent spokes and a few scratches. Haven't written a letter of complaint bit I guess I should soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

One of the guys I was out with would never use a front mudguard for just that reason. I would have thought he was paranoid, but he has mechanic experience and more riding experience than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Had a similar problem a few years back - on the back wheel. Bike came to an impressive skid stop :) Turns out it had come loose at the hole in the bottom where it connects to the frame. I've double this with a cable tie, and never had any problems with them since.

Advertisement