Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Hotel we want to hide from the World.

• 10-05-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

The tall ships are soon to arrive in Waterford, the city is looking good, all except that block of concrete that has scared the city since it was first built. It was burned down in recent years and use by kids to drink and take drugs, It's inner wall's host the graffiti of Waterford's jobless youth. Despite being the ugliest building in the south east of Ireland since it's conception 40 years ago. It's now looked upon as a symbol of Ireland's rollercoaster ride and it's boom to bust experience. Despite always being ugly Waterford's population now want to hide it from their visiting Tall Ships later this summer. The site is own by the Mc'niff hotel group. However it's tax payers now paying to secure the building to keep the youngsters drinking on it's roof away and safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccYDG7k2GA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You do know it looks nothing like that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'm kinda confused what exactly does this has to do with Infrastructure? Perhaps the thread would be better in the Waterford City forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

samsham wrote: »
    The tall ships are soon to arrive in Waterford, the city is looking good, all except that block of concrete that has scared the city since it was first built. It was burned down in recent years and use by kids to drink and take drugs, It's inner wall's host the graffiti of Waterford's jobless youth. Despite being the ugliest building in the south east of Ireland since it's conception 40 years ago. It's now looked upon as a symbol of Ireland's rollercoaster ride and it's boom to bust experience. Despite always being ugly Waterford's population now want to hide it from their visiting Tall Ships later this summer. The site is own by the Mc'niff hotel group. However it's tax payers now paying to secure the building to keep the youngsters drinking on it's roof away and safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccYDG7k2GA

Nope - Mc'niff Group sold it to a Cork developer during the boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Moved from Infrastructure.

-Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

I haven't been down that end of town recently. Last I heard it was covered wasn't it? Just like a giant cover on top of the hill. Better then what was there to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Its now the worlds largest big screen telly. We're kinda proud of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Looks better than it did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It was a fairly well designed building for its type and era, not perfect but certainly not ugly. Its not the architects fault that it was left fall to ruin by a developer. Any building can be ugly as f==k if its left vacant and unsecured, just look at how bad the old Infirmary was during the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

It's now a minimalist sculpture dedicated to the mistakes of the boom years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

it used to be a beautiful hotel. some fantastic memories from there, especially the christmas parties when i was 8 or 9 years old.
    such a shame what happened it. the interior was even worse than the exterior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

I really think that it looks well now - at least it is more or less hidden! Must get snaps tomorrow and upload.

OP - you obviously have not been in Waterford in a while...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

KingLoser wrote: »
    It's now a minimalist sculpture dedicated to the mistakes of the boom years.

Problem is the hotel and building itself has existed long before the "boom years", the hotel itself was actually built in 1969 afaik

So surely a more accurate discription is its a sculpture deadicated to the design mistakes of the 60's and 70's just like Waterford's trainstation, the ESB before it was re-designed etc.

If you want to see a sculpure dedicated to the mistakes of the "boom years" you need not look any further then railway square and the building there that will date horriably :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

That hotel was really very nice back in the day but by the 90/00's it was showing it's age. It was not a victim of the bubble, it was a victim of time and circumstance, having been sold on a few times and not really looked after. It was doing badly for years before the bubble burst.

The fact that they could write "PEACE" for most of the Christmas period with their hotel room windows shows that there was nobody at all staying there for parts of the year...

Cabaal wrote: »
    Problem is the hotel and building itself has existed long before the "boom years", the hotel itself was actually built in 1969 afaik

So surely a more accurate discription is its a sculpture deadicated to the design mistakes of the 60's and 70's just like Waterford's trainstation, the ESB before it was re-designed etc.

Its a matter of taste really, I don't think that the Ardree, train station or the ESB building were mistakes at all. They were all part of a defined style that took hold world wide from the late 50'a to the late 70's, the International style. The ESB building especially was a very nice example, like a downsized Seagram Building (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagram_building), until they put that ugly cladding on it last year and for the most part ruined its aesthetic appeal.

The Enterprise Ireland building on the industrial estate (formerly the IDA building) is another nice example of this style and again was slightly marred last year by some ugly cladding that was put around some of its brickwork.

Some of the more recent boom era buildings like the Railway Square mess and the Tourism building at the WIT are ones that deserve criticism for their lack of any definable style and their general ugly and seemingly haphazard design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scallopbutty

what about the other hotel we need to hide...... the maryland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

I really think that it looks well now - at least it is more or less hidden! Must get snaps tomorrow and upload.

OP - you obviously have not been in Waterford in a while...

i would love to see a few snaps of the place if anybody would care to upload them , im down under at the moment but will be home for a couple of weeks when the tall ships come :):D:D

:eek: *cough* :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

beaker_oh_shiP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

127881261969.gif

can_of_worms.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

The Maryland Another ugly building now just a stone
    trow from the new Waterford crystal visitor center.
    Ever look a the top of that building a the wooden
    decking that makes up the top floor, where did planning
    come for that. As for the cover that now surrounds Jury's
    It simply makes it look like the building it was before. Ugly

5246383048_883fe8e6ff.jpg

5248484587_4a1041360a.jpg

5246383266_37cec10069.jpg

5245781269_72dec89643.jpg

5245781935_f72f495f2d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Pitty they didn't light it up with the Man U/Barcelona match. Until a better idea comes along, we may aswell use it as the world's largest TV.

Anyway, those above pictures are misleading. It looks far far better now than it did before the cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone have recent photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Anyone have recent photos?

There is a photo from this weekend here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72436406&postcount=21

mike65 wrote: »
    looks like a block of Lego.

The building without a window..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Also a pity that the City Council / Tall Ships wouldn't entertain my idea of using the place as a screen for a fantastic Architectural Projection show, a lá AC/DC at Rochester Castle.

It would have been the most amazing public show the country has ever seen, and really put Waterford on the map, but I'm afraid small-mindedness prevailled.

A.

samsham wrote: »
    looks like a block of Lego.

The building without a window..

as it looked today..

5773718868_c4b2be60b2_b.jpg

Hmm they should have painted it green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

alinton wrote: »
    Also a pity that the City Council / Tall Ships wouldn't entertain my idea of using the place as a screen for a fantastic Architectural Projection show, a lá AC/DC at Rochester Castle.

It would have been the most amazing public show the country has ever seen, and really put Waterford on the map, but I'm afraid small-mindedness prevailled.

A.

they are currently doing something along those lines here in sydney at the moment , the pics look great http://vividsydney.com/gallery ,

i know we dont have an opera house in the deise but having the ard ri on the hill could be used to the same effect, and with so many people gonna be in waterford for the tall ships , the images would be seen by many many people who are there and also im sure it would go widespread in the media.

Advertisement