Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Hotel we want to hide from the World.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

alinton wrote: »
    Also a pity that the City Council / Tall Ships wouldn't entertain my idea of using the place as a screen for a fantastic Architectural Projection show, a lá AC/DC at Rochester Castle.

It would have been the most amazing public show the country has ever seen, and really put Waterford on the map, but I'm afraid small-mindedness prevailled.

A.
    Who are you accusing of small-mindedness? Did you contact the Chairperson of the Tall Ships committee Des Whelan? You're idea cost a lot of money (I think you said something like €100-€200k?) which they don't have. You were very late with your proposal too - the festival budget was probably done a year or more ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Also a pity that the City Council / Tall Ships wouldn't entertain my idea of using the place as a screen for a fantastic Architectural Projection show, a lá AC/DC at Rochester Castle.

It would have been the most amazing public show the country has ever seen, and really put Waterford on the map, but I'm afraid small-mindedness prevailled.

A.

Why not contact Spraoi?

Most of the Tall Ships outdoor events end by 10 or 11 for planning reasons. On 1st July sunset will be close to 10pm, and it won't get properly dark for a long time.

How dark does it need to be for your device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I did talk to those mentioned, and money was the issue. Obviously it would have been better if I'd thought of it much earlier - but inspiration isn't predictable!

I'm not accusing Mr Whelan of small-mindedness, that attitude came from other quarters.

It may have cost more than the figures you've mentioned, but I think it would have been worth it.

It does have to be dark for it to be visible, as its a projection system.

Maybe next year!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I did talk to those mentioned, and money was the issue. Obviously it would have been better if I'd thought of it much earlier - but inspiration isn't predictable!

I'm not accusing Mr Whelan of small-mindedness, that attitude came from other quarters.

It may have cost more than the figures you've mentioned, but I think it would have been worth it.

It does have to be dark for it to be visible, as its a projection system.

Maybe next year!

A.
    Is there any way this could be done cheaper, on a smaller scale maybe? I can't think of any way the Council or anyone else could justify spending that kind of money for what is effectively a 5-10 minute light show. As good and all as it looks it's a huge amount of money to ask for in these times. To put it in to perspective, you could probably run another Spraoi and Harvest Festival for the same money. Maybe it would be something you could do for the 2014 celebrations (1,100 years since Waterford was founded).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I was thinking of more like half an hour, which could be repeated, with some still shots to fill in the gaps - a picture of the hillside without the hotel, for example, which would like the hotel had disappeared!

Architectural Projection like this can cost anything from about 100k to 400k, depends on lots of factors.

Lots more than that is being spent throughout the Tall Ships on various things, none of which will be as spectacular.

However in fairness I think the problem was the lateness with which I presented the idea. Technically it could be set up in about 6 weeks, even to allow for the graphic design and animation to be created, but it would of course have to have been in the budget months ago.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Snipped.."Lots more than that is being spent throughout the Tall Ships on various things, none of which will be as spectacular".......snipped.

A.

Well said Andy.

Bryan Ferry for example. Hasn't sung in tune since "Is your love strong enough" in 1988.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Check out yer man abseiling down the hotel wall, pretty good.

http://youtu.be/niYXTywJ_A4

Advertisement