Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery Cat Problem!!!

• 10-05-2011 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Question for all you cat owners out there. I'm not really looking for medical advice, just wondering has anyone come across this before.

One of our cats is a ginger female with a white chest. She's always been an obsessive cleaner, even by cat standards. Earlier this year (2 months ago) I brought her to the vet because she was scratching and licking at a sore on her back, in the middle of her spine. Otherwise she was absolutely fine. Vet gave her injection, cream, checked it wasn't fleas (it wasn't), all was good.

2 months on - and she's at it again. This time there's a few sores. And there's less scratching and more constant licking of them, on and off. I can't figure out what they are at all. They're both de-fleaed, their beds are washed (hot!) regularly, the house is hoovered weekly, all soft furnishings were treated with flea powder recently. She also looks like she's lost a good bit of weight, even though she's eating like a horse! Her sister, who we also have, eats the same food, uses the same beds, lies in the same flowerbeds (!), weighs a good bit more now, and has no problems at all.

WHAT is this?! I'd bring her to the vet, only it's the 5th visit in about 5 months, it's 70eur everytime and we just don't really have the money right now. Plus she's absolutely fine other than these sores on her back. She's eating, jumping around the place, purring, playing.....has anyone experienced anything like this before with cats? Or will I have to just bring her to the vet?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My first reaction was some kind of a Lick Granuloma which could be allergy related or a behavioural OCD reaction. I would try a head cone for a few days and see if it clears up a bit to rule out the behavioral aspect. If its still as persistant then i probably would have him at the vet for allergy testing (expensive though). The fact that its accompanied with weight loss is confusing though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Another option is ringworm which cats can easily pick up (and transfer to humans as I found to my cost from my sister's cat when it was a little kitten).

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/ringworm.html gives you more advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh sh*&e.

Worms occured to me, but not ringworm...and she does have lesions on her back that look quite like those described in that article. The weight loss is really confusing me too, I've no idea what it's about and she's beginning to look a bit like an abandoned cat who hasn't eaten in weeks - even though she's anything but. Plus when she's been licking at her back, her hair sticks out everywhere and she just looks awful!

Vet it is, I guess. My next question is pet insurance, I suppose, at the rate she's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No i wouldnt be thinking ringworm at all. It would be definitely ruled out by your vet when you first presented her 2 1/2 mths ago with the same thing. Its highly contagious to both humans and animals and it would either have gotten much worse or a member of your family would be showing symptoms by now. The weight loss might be completely unrelated...or another thing is hyperthyroidism although is nearly always only seen in middle to older aged cats.How old is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Has she had a spot on recently? One of mine gets milary dermatitis from them.
    It can be caused by a skin reaction or a flea bite ( doesnt have to be a flea infestation)

• Advertisement

The vet said the original problem could have been caused by a one off bite too....she checked and treated her for fleas that day.She had spot on recently but this was on her before and after the spot on.

I've come across ringworm too, and i did think after my last post that we're always rubbing and scratching her and neither of us have any sign of anything.

If she was human, I'd say it was some form of exczema....that's what it appears like.No bald patches though, the sores are under her fur, but she licks at them so much the fur is parted and standing on end the whole time around them.

Curiouser and curiouser.....

If it is irritating her you could try Forever Living Aloe vera gel on it This is the only make of aloe vera that is safe to use). it should help ease the itch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ringworm, vet should be able to check with a woods lamp for flourescence on the sores. They'll be bald if ringworm. It usually resolves itself in a few weeks even untreated, unless very serious. Treatment is topical antifungal cream, but better to put a collar on the cat to stop it grooming the cream away. Do not treat until diagnosis confirmed by vet.

Other option is hotspots. Google hotspots for more info. Ask vet about them to get a diagnosis. Clip hair around hotspot to help dry the spot out. Collar the cat to prevent grooming. Treat as per vet, but topical creams that prevent itching are a good help. Organic apple cider vinegar applied to the site can also help - but don't apply an astringent to a raw spot on your pet, that's just mean!

Antibiotics are used in hotspots but their effectiveness tends to be limited to treating infection incurred by constantly being at the hotspot. Better to identify what's causing the allergy that causes the hotspots.

Look at all potential allergens - environmental and ingested. Do not feed cheap foods with added colourings. If the cat has access to other food sources (e.g. if it goes over to the neighbour's for a saucer of milk) that needs to stop.

Other than ringworm, flea bites (ruled out) and hotspots, the only other options I can think of for multiple sores are skin-based e.g. dermatitis or mange (former probably more likely than the latter) and bites from other cats, esp in the centre of the back?

If it is irritating her you could try Forever Living Aloe vera gel on it This is the only make of aloe vera that is safe to use). it should help ease the itch.

I wouldn't.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/aloe.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It can be caused by a skin reaction or a flea bite ( doesnt have to be a flea infestation)
    We had a cat like that too .. they were regularly de-flead but if you have a cat that has an extreme allergy to flea bites, then it only takes one to sneak under the radar and that's it.

• Advertisement

I use the forever living aloe vera on feline acne. It is the only brand of aloe vera that the toxic substance is not present. This is the only aloe vera I would use on my cats and have done so for years with no problems.

Sodium benzoate is what is toxic to cats, the one I have named above does not contain this.

Themadhouse, the toxicity list mentions plants - sodium benzoate is used as a preservative for aloe juice in the manufacture. Even if your aloe is manufactured without it, the actual aloe vera plant is toxic to cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I have a cat with a skin irritation too - cannot identify the cause of it. I just have to keep going to the vet for anti-flammatory injections which relieve the symptoms.

However - my vet charges a lot less than your's does! Shop around a bit! My vet just charges €10 to come in for the injection since there is no examination involved. But their usual consultation fee is 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

My cat started nibbling, chewing and licking himself about 2 years ago. The vet thought it was milliary dermatitis brought on by a reaction to a flea bite and he was treated with steroids and hormone injections which did the trick. It tended to re-occur after a few months though and even outside of the warmer months. After the last visit to the vet she suggested that it might be a behavioural problem and wondered was he being bullied by other cats in the neighbourhood.

It happened as recently as January though so rather than put him through steroids again I tried a pheromone collar. It's done the job even during the really warm weather we've had recently. They cost approx €18 and last about a month.
    http://www.beaphar.co.uk/data/styleit/files/86500.pdf

Thanks for all your replies.
    I'd be a bit wary of putting "human" products on cats, like Aloe vera gel. I'm sure it's probably ok, but I'd rather check with the vet first. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Good point on the collar, might try that. Our vet is expensive, and the problem is they own a "chain" of vet surgeries around the area, so there's no much by way of choice, without a long drive. And this cat is not travel-happy!
    I think this will end in a vet visit though. I was looking at her today - she looks like a stray, between the fact that she's gone so skinny and her hair being all coarse and sticking out around the sore spots.
    Meanwhile her sister is getting fatter...:rolleyes:.Can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

In relation to the pheromone collar, there was a noticeable improvement in just a couple of days. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

dan_d wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies.
    I'd be a bit wary of putting "human" products on cats, like Aloe vera gel. I'm sure it's probably ok, but I'd rather check with the vet first. But thanks for the suggestion.

Forever Living Aloe is actually branded as being suitable for animals (one of the few that is) as are some (not all) of their supplements. A well established and reputable product but can only be bought through a distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Meanwhile her sister is getting fatter...:rolleyes:.Can't win!

It may seem like pointing out the obvious but would it be possible her sister is bullying her? Maybe not letting her near the food bowl or eating your other cat's share of food? Do you feed them separately?

Themadhouse, the toxicity list mentions plants - sodium benzoate is used as a preservative for aloe juice in the manufacture. Even if your aloe is manufactured without it, the actual aloe vera plant is toxic to cats.

The product was veterinary recommended and quite a few breeders and rescue people use it.
    Aloe vera fed orally has also been used in treatment for FELV.

I would be under the assumption that eating the plant in the long term in huge doses might be toxic but used in small amounts it isnt. Just like various toxins that we ingest every day.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.
    No her sister isn't bullying her - usually it's the other way around! I pretty much stand over them eating because she's usually the one who's eating every last bit of the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

Okay number of things could be causing this...

Has there been any changes to your household at all in the past while since this started happening? What do you feed her? Have you changed it recently?A food allergy can manifest itself as a dermatological problem.

Psychogenic alopecia is another possible cause and that is usually related to stress.
    It's a hard thing to diagnose with cats because even though they may not seem stressed to us, they can manifest it in ways like this; cystitis is another way it can manifest.
    What's her general environment like? Is she an indoor or outdoor cat? Do you think she may be being "bullied" by another cat? Does she have a place she can go and chill out? I've seen this happen in a cat that was kept in an open plan apartment with no access to any room to escape from the noise and daily goings on, and a new family member had moved into the apartment which spurred the cat to self mutilation! Once this issue was resolved the cat stopped licking.

It's something to think about anyway...otherwise biopsies of the skin lesions may be indicated. I also think you should consider putting a buster collar on her to stop her further aggravating the lesions, there is steroid cream you can get in the vets to put on her sores. But definitely evaluate her entire environment, and any other contact she has with humans or cats that may be stressing her out..

The product was veterinary recommended and quite a few breeders and rescue people use it.
    Aloe vera fed orally has also been used in treatment for FELV.

I would be under the assumption that eating the plant in the long term in huge doses might be toxic but used in small amounts it isnt. Just like various toxins that we ingest every day.

Fair enough. I'm always cautious with these things because some cats can be so sensitive to build ups of things, and their livers are so different to dogs - they can't rid themselves of toxins the way other animals can.

I don't know what the manufacturers have done to the aloe juice to make it non-toxic to cats. Perhaps it's a concentration thing?

It's like tea tree - there are lots of tea tree products listed as suitable for animals, but I'd never use it on a cat even if it's listed as safe. If it has enough tea tree in it for tea tree to actually be an active ingredient, I wouldn't be comfortable using it. If there's so little tea tree in it that it won't be toxic, I can't see the point of buying it for the benefit of tea tree if that makes any sense?

She's both indoors and outdoors.We keep her in at night and I'm here during the day, so she's in and out as she likes! There's plenty of empty rooms, with beds and sofas.She prefers to be on your lap or your chair at every available opportunity, but she will take herself off to a quiet spot when she wants. I just can't think of anything that would have bothered her - we had people staying over at Christmas and in recent weeks and she spent her time asleep on their laps as an alternative to ours....

I really don't know about the bullying by other cats.There are a lot of them in the neighbourhood alright, but they all kind of sit around looking at each other.There is the odd row alright, but it's very occasional. I don't really have any way of finding out if she's being bullied, and she's always fairly eager to go out every day on and off during the day. Her sister is more of a homebody - likes to be curled up in the quietest place possible in the house or flowerbed, whereas she likes following us around the place.

The only things I can think of are her food, which is Royal canin, and has been varied a bit in the last few months, I will admit. As in, she was being fed from the the same sack for about 3 months (it was a big one!) and we got a new slightly different one about a month and a half ago. The only other thing I can think of is that she is a ginger cat, maybe it's a skin condition to do with this...or something?? (that's a very vague idea...). She's not over 2 years old, anyway - we got them both from the pound, and they put them at a bit more than 1 year old at them time. That was about 8 months ago, so she's quite a young cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe try her on raw chicken for a week or two as an exclusion det approach?

Our female was getting cystitis frequently; changed to raw and it cleared up. Then got the urinary diet from the vet, and the grain in it brought the cystitis back ... So now no more dried or tinned food for her and she is fine.

It is worth a try? There are so many ingredients in commercial cat food.

The food angle might be a good way to go alright! Maybe a food like Origen or applaws that doesn't have wheat. I have one that is allergic to wheat and the food made a huge difference!

Hey guys! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Finally went to the vet today because she was at herself so much last night she was drawing blood. The vet came to the same conclusions as most people here - either it's a bad reaction to one or two flea bites, or it's stress-related. I've been trying to think what might have changed since about mid-Jan, which is when all this started, and for the life of me I just can't come up with anything. The only possibility is that maybe another cat in the neighbourhood is bullying her, and I'm not sure if there's any way we can know that. Anyway, the vet gave her an injection, and prescribed tablets and told me to bring her back when she's finished them (along with Advocate)

This is visit number 3 since Jan at this stage - I think the first one was after a major row she had with another cat (she seemed hurt, but was fine), then the first sore on her back and now this one. It's the guts of 300eur at this stage, not counting 2 visits before Christmas. So I think it's time we started looking pet insurance, because this is turning into a very costly exercise, and the other one hasn't got sick on us yet!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions anyway.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hey guys! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Finally went to the vet today because she was at herself so much last night she was drawing blood. The vet came to the same conclusions as most people here - either it's a bad reaction to one or two flea bites, or it's stress-related. I've been trying to think what might have changed since about mid-Jan, which is when all this started, and for the life of me I just can't come up with anything. The only possibility is that maybe another cat in the neighbourhood is bullying her, and I'm not sure if there's any way we can know that. Anyway, the vet gave her an injection, and prescribed tablets and told me to bring her back when she's finished them (along with Advocate)

This is visit number 3 since Jan at this stage - I think the first one was after a major row she had with another cat (she seemed hurt, but was fine), then the first sore on her back and now this one. It's the guts of 300eur at this stage, not counting 2 visits before Christmas. So I think it's time we started looking pet insurance, because this is turning into a very costly exercise, and the other one hasn't got sick on us yet!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions anyway.:)

Someone here who like us cannot afford vets, uses a paste of cornflour to soothe itching. Works very well, like so many of the old home recipes. Also suggests no more processed food. ie raw.Cheaper than vets...

Advertisement