Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Fireplace

• 10-05-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I have a beautiful and ornate old (100+ years) cast iron fire surround that I want to restore and use in my house. It is quite rusted (but still solid) and has several coats of paint on it - some of the paint is flaking off and some is still solidly and stubbornly attached.

My plan is to nitromorse the painted areas, remove the paint with scrapers, sand it by hand all over, apply a coat of Lowe rust primer and then paint it with a heat resistant paint.

I have two questions:

1. Can I use Nitromorse on cast iron?

2. Should I just forget about doing it by hand and have it sandblasted?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Tester46 wrote: »
    I have a beautiful and ornate old (100+ years) cast iron fire surround that I want to restore and use in my house. It is quite rusted (but still solid) and has several coats of paint on it - some of the paint is flaking off and some is still solidly and stubbornly attached.

My plan is to nitromorse the painted areas, remove the paint with scrapers, sand it by hand all over, apply a coat of Lowe rust primer and then paint it with a heat resistant paint.

I have two questions:

1. Can I use Nitromorse on cast iron?

2. Should I just forget about doing it by hand and have it sandblasted?

Any thoughts?

I have just stripped my old cast iron bedroom fireplaces to remove old flaking paint. I used nitromores with no ill effects and used a wire brush as well. I did them in the garage with the door open for good ventilation.
    Sandblasting would be easier but I would ask if it would be to fierce for the old cast iron.
    I am just waiting for some slate tiles to arrive and I can fit them:)

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Stove Fan wrote: »
    I have just stripped my old cast iron bedroom fireplaces to remove old flaking paint. I used nitromores with no ill effects and used a wire brush as well. I did them in the garage with the door open for good ventilation.
    Sandblasting would be easier but I would ask if it would be to fierce for the old cast iron.
    I am just waiting for some slate tiles to arrive and I can fit them:)

Stove Fan:)

That's great thanks. I'd prefer not to sandblast as there is lots of ornate detail that could be blasted away. I'll nitromorse and sand by hand. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Sand blasting is the way to go, they use diffrent grade glass for diffrent things Ive had alloy casings and wheels done costs about 80 euro wile you wait in Howth Co Dublin

Advertisement