Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do to remove nerves and stress

• 10-05-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Alright lads so the pressure is really starting to mount and I'm starting to crack up. I've never really been an A1 student but I get by on C's and B's. I'm doing a ridiculous selection of subjects which aren't ideal they are Maths (H) English(H) Physics(H) D.C.G(H) Business(H) German (O) Irish (O)
    My course is 325 points which is not too bad but I'm hoping for about 350+. I got 235 in my mocks but thats because I failed maths and physics...but I've since put myself in a position where I know I wont fail either

Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop worrying and be a bit more sure of myself? At the moment I'm not really sure how I will fair in the leaving as Maths is taking most of my time.

If anyone who has done the LC before reads this, how tough is it really? (Mocks were a shambles)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think the thing I'm really starting to get now that helps is managing your time. Like, managing it properly. Do stuff when you need to do it, do not put it off. set yourself some downtime at some point in the day. No need to work yourself silly. Have some sort of activity to do once a week. Get a good balance between work and play it won't feel so bad. Also, getting a good nights sleep is really important! I wasn't sleeping properly the past week and getting by on 6 hours a night and it was destroying me, I was constantly cranky and moody.

I feel for you with the Higher Level Maths, it's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

chiloutus wrote: »

Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop worrying

Whack away Jim, whack away

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

chiloutus wrote: »
    Alright lads so the pressure is really starting to mount and I'm starting to crack up. I've never really been an A1 student but I get by on C's and B's. I'm doing a ridiculous selection of subjects which aren't ideal they are Maths (H) English(H) Physics(H) D.C.G(H) Business(H) German (O) Irish (O)
    My course is 325 points which is not too bad but I'm hoping for about 350+. I got 235 in my mocks but thats because I failed maths and physics...but I've since put myself in a position where I know I wont fail either

Can anyone give me any advice on how to stop worrying and be a bit more sure of myself? At the moment I'm not really sure how I will fair in the leaving as Maths is taking most of my time.

If anyone who has done the LC before reads this, how tough is it really? (Mocks were a shambles)

The only real difference between the mocks and LC are the amount of study you've done, since generally people do more for the LC.

For example, before my mocks, I had been doing a load of HL maths, HL physics and HL applied maths, moreso for the enjoyment than for the sake of studying. So when the mocks came around I barely passed everything else, but got A2s and A1s in those 3 from having so much practice.

The only difference between all of my subjects in the mocks and LC were the amount of work I had done. The grades in those 3 stayed the same, while the others went up from having studied more.

Technically the mocks aren't more difficult, they just appear it because you've less study done. So, after doing a bit of work you'll come out of your LC saying "god that was way easier than the mocks", and you're the one that makes the difference :)

As for nerves, not much I can say really. Just do exam papers in all your subjects and get confident you know the stuff. And take a hot bath in some lavender or muscle relaxant! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 purple27

I'll see if I can calm your nerves at all. :P First of all, the majority of people do worse in their mocks...so chances are in your favour that your points will go up. You know more now and have revised more than you did when you sat the mocks, even if it doesn't really feel like you have.
    So you need 325, and you got 235 in the mocks? Well you say you failed both Maths and Physics, but now you are confident you are in the position to definitely pass them....so even if you just pass with a D3 you're gonna get 45 points more for each of those. So that's 235 + 90 = 325. Already up where you need to be! So if you manage to match or improve the rest of your subjects too you'll be flying. :)

I was an absolute mess the few weeks coming up to my Leaving Cert, lost whatever sanity I had left. And I'm not exaggerating, I was actually a ****ing lunatic by the time June came. Then once it was all over(even during it to be honest) I felt like an idiot, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. The exams flew in, and it was all a bit of an anti-climax really. I know it seems like the end of the world right now, but in a few weeks time you'll be laughing at yourself for worrying so much. Try not to stress too much, stressing isn't gonna help anyone! Just relax, keep studying and enjoy it. It's all worth it for the feeling you'll get when you're walking out of your last exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

purple27 wrote: »
    I'll see if I can calm your nerves at all. :P First of all, the majority of people do worse in their mocks...so chances are in your favour that your points will go up. You know more now and have revised more than you did when you sat the mocks, even if it doesn't really feel like you have.
    So you need 325, and you got 235 in the mocks? Well you say you failed both Maths and Physics, but now you are confident you are in the position to definitely pass them....so even if you just pass with a D3 you're gonna get 45 points more for each of those. So that's 235 + 90 = 325. Already up where you need to be! So if you manage to match or improve the rest of your subjects too you'll be flying. :)

I was an absolute mess the few weeks coming up to my Leaving Cert, lost whatever sanity I had left. And I'm not exaggerating, I was actually a ****ing lunatic by the time June came. Then once it was all over(even during it to be honest) I felt like an idiot, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. The exams flew in, and it was all a bit of an anti-climax really. I know it seems like the end of the world right now, but in a few weeks time you'll be laughing at yourself for worrying so much. Try not to stress too much, stressing isn't gonna help anyone! Just relax, keep studying and enjoy it. It's all worth it for the feeling you'll get when you're walking out of your last exam.

Thanks thats actually exactly what I needed to hear to be honest!! Actually made me laugh in places! Hopefully I'll be fine so :)

Marsden wrote: »
    Whack away Jim, whack away

Genius response! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

purple27 wrote: »
    I was an absolute mess the few weeks coming up to my Leaving Cert, lost whatever sanity I had left. And I'm not exaggerating, I was actually a ****ing lunatic by the time June came.

This is me right now:pac:

Funnily enough the stress only just really hit me tonight. I'm completely obliterated, can barely do any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Funnily enough the stress only just really hit me tonight. I'm completely obliterated, can barely do any work.

Take a day or two off if you need to. I had a meltdown in late April when i did the lc last year and I tried to keep going and it only made it worse. You're lucky that it's happened to you now and not a week before the exams so just take a break and accept that you're mentally exhausted. You'll be flying again after your little break and will work much more efficiently! :)

Actually, I did one better than that today - I dropped HL Maths. It was the only subject I was just about scraping D3's in, I was spending ridiculous hours on it, doing 7 other HL subjects so it's grand. I'll easily get the B3 required, everything is looking brighter now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Actually, I did one better than that today - I dropped HL Maths. It was the only subject I was just about scraping D3's in, I was spending ridiculous hours on it, doing 7 other HL subjects so it's grand. I'll easily get the B3 required, everything is looking brighter now :)

Why so late?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

bit of time with the lad always calmed me down

NotExactly wrote: »
    Why so late?:confused:
    For the longest time I really thought it would get better, something would click, all the hard work would pay off. The week before Easter, I failed my first Paper 1. Okay, it was a hard mock paper, but nevertheless, I failed. I was doing all Higher Level and was proud of it, so (kind of sad but) I had to swallow my pride and drop down. I tried to hold out HL as long as possible but if there was any risk of me failing at all I wasn't going to do it.
    I need a B3 in OL Maths for my course, and it looks like with a bit of catchup I'll easily pick it up. I was a fool really for not dropping down at an earlier stage, I feel so much happier without it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Exercise. Going for a walk is always good but I'm finding this site: http://hundredpushups.com/ to be really really helpful.

It's just pushups. I'm not an exercising type of person (lifting anything heavier than a laptop is hard work), but doing a few minutes of pushups every time I get pissed off while studying (pretty much daily) just completely relieves my stress and gets me to focus again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I was a fool really for not dropping down at an earlier stage, I feel so much happier without it :)

Ditto, People in HL maths don't believe me when I tell them how much better life got when I went down to OL maths.

Advertisement