Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair removal - 10 year old

Options
  • 10-05-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that my ten year old daughter has started getting light hair growth under her arms (it's barely noticeable yet, in fact I don't think she has noticed it herself.)

I'm not going to suggest doing anything about it until she comes to me about it. However I'm wonder what hair removal method would be best for legs/underarms for a child that age starting off?

I remember when I had very hairy legs at that age, my mother refused to let me do anything about it and insisted that only adults should have to shave their legs. However I was getting teased at school about it, and ended up robbing my dad's razors, and got in trouble for it when my mother realised. I don't want my daughter to feel that it's "unnatural" or something to be ashamed of.

I'm wondering if I should encourage her to get waxed or use hair removal creams, or would shaving be considered the best/easiest option for starting off? I'd probably push the idea of waxing if it meant she'd have less hair growth later in life, but I don't know if it's recommended for young teenagers, and anyways she'd have to put up with the regrowth in between waxes (she's a very frequent swimmer, so this wouldn't be ideal.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Ooo, I'd say her skin at that age is far too sensitive and tender for shaving or waxing, and I'd be worried that she'd have a reaction to hair removal creams as well.
    I'm sure if light hair growth is only really starting now that it will be a while before there would be any reason to use any kind of hair removal technique!
    I think I was about 12 or 13 at least before I starting shaving underarms, and it was at least another year or 2 before I went near my legs in any serious way! (And I'm quite a hairy person naturally!)
    It was years before I started waxing!!

I suppose I'd try and delay anything at all until at least she's nearing secondary school if she does approach you about it in the not too distant future... At that stage she'll be heading into an environment where a lot of the people around her are older and more "grown up" so i could more understand her wanting to emulate them in certain ways, and rebelling if you don't support her in it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Leave her be esp when it's downy and fair, it's normal and natural.
    When she asks you about possibly removing it talk to her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady is 11 and i got her veet cream for the first time last week. Waxing underarms is sore, i did a test wax (veet wax strips) on my 11 year olds legs and she said never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I had very dark hair on my legs when I was 10/11, it was very noticeable and it was horrible during summer to imagine having such hairy legs when I was wearing shorts and stuff because my friends all had very light hair that you wouldn't even see, it made me look much older and I didn't like it :( My mother bleached the hair on my legs with whatever normal facial hair bleach you can get, because she didn't want me shaving or waxing so young but didn't want me feeling so different to my friends. I did this for about 3 summers, it was great, only took a few minutes and lasted ages.

Underarms I think I started shaving at about 13, again I have very dark hair though.

Advertisement