Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On the subject of climbing ... (w/kg and all that)

• 07-05-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

morana wrote: »
    Good stuff! you being 92kg rider going up it at that speed I think I will turn up !
    National Hill Climb Champ at 92kg!? I thought that was too good to be true. Seems he's roughly 20kg shy of that
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc2q4gw3_18ffhthkcj
    Are there any out there (amateur or pro) in the 90kg+ category who can worry the natural climbers when the going gets tough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

National Hill Climb Champ at 92kg!? I thought that was too good to be true. Seems he's roughly 20kg shy of that
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc2q4gw3_18ffhthkcj
    Are there any out there (amateur or pro) in the 90kg+ category who can worry the natural climbers when the going gets tough?

In the races I have done, I have not seen anyone that size getting over the hard(er) climbs in the front group of the climber types are pushing it. 80kg, yeah - but not 90+. The 1-2 minute kicker climbs are fine, just the longer ones... Watts/Kg pays out lots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

In the races I have done, I have not seen anyone that size getting over the hard(er) climbs in the front group of the climber types are pushing it. 80kg, yeah - but not 90+. The 1-2 minute kicker climbs are fine, just the longer ones... Watts/Kg pays out lots
    Thanks. Power-to-weight ratios seem to be higher for the lighter competitors alright. It's interesting that this seems to apply across the board, taking in completely different sports such as Olympic Weightlifting.

On the subject of climbing, I wonder if you're familiar with the route and start/finish points of the Bohernabreena hillclimb, as used by the Orwell/Lucan/IRC/Tiernans/UCD clubs in their league. As National Champ, it would be interesting to know just how fast you can blast your way up that climb. It’s a timely enquiry, given that the club hillclimb is scheduled for this Thursday (12th). Maybe you can give it a lash in training when you have a chance and let us know. I think the best club time in recent years is slightly over 13 minutes (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

Here’s the route:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/16793119

[I won't tell you what my "fastest" time is :o]

On the subject of climbing, I wonder if you're familiar with the route and start/finish points of the Bohernabreena hillclimb, as used by the Orwell/Lucan/IRC/Tiernans/UCD clubs in their league. As National Champ, it would be interesting to know just how fast you can blast your way up that climb. It’s a timely enquiry, given that the club hillclimb is scheduled for this Thursday (12th). Maybe you can give it a lash in training when you have a chance and let us know. I think the best club time in recent years is slightly over 13 minutes (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

Here’s the route:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/16793119

[I won't tell you what my "fastest" time is :o]

I know the climb a little, I have not gone hard over it but have ridden it a few times. 13minutes gives a VAM of about 1333m/hr. Using a VAM to W/kg conversion (based on grade - 6.6%) I get that 13 minutes took roughly 5W/Kg... Well within my range. But then you don't know road surface and at the moment there are massive headwinds on the climb which would slow you down a lot.

Sure maybe I'll drop along on Thursday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know the climb a little, I have not gone hard over it but have ridden it a few times. 13minutes gives a VAM of about 1333m/hr. Using a VAM to W/kg conversion (based on grade - 6.6%) I get that 13 minutes took roughly 5W/Kg... Well within my range. But then you don't know road surface and at the moment there are massive headwinds on the climb which would slow you down a lot.

Sure maybe I'll drop along on Thursday ;)

Someone said yesterday the "back road" has just been resurfaced.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yes, most of it has, though not the lower section (unless it has also been done within the last week). The worst of the winter damage is gone and it is certainly a lot nicer to climb and a lot safer to descend. You'd still want to exercise caution on the way back down where it passes from the new to the old surface, as it is still a bit rough there.

Good luck to all who are competing on Thursday - it's a real gasp-fest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

I was up there a few weeks ago. The first part of the 'back road' has not been resurfaced yet, but after around 100m or so, it has a nice new surface. Certainly better than the assault course it was last year!

On the subject of climbing, I wonder if you're familiar with the route and start/finish points of the Bohernabreena hillclimb, as used by the Orwell/Lucan/IRC/Tiernans/UCD clubs in their league.

I rode up the climb (tempo type effort) today into a strong headwind. Is the climb longer than your mapmyride link? I 5.5km with 360m of climb => 6.6%. A pretty long undulating one alright!

It puts the 13 minute record into context - was it that course? Was it set with a strong tail wind? It would take a VAM of 1661 to do that - on that type of hill, and that grade, it is a LOT. 6.25W/Kg (if it was a constant climb) - probably closer to 6.5W/kg in reality!

Anyway, here is a strava link for the climb I did: http://app.strava.com/rides/541032#8178131

This is how I do the VAM -> W/Kg conversion. It is roughly right: http://www.squidoo.com/vam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Something's wrong there.

Here are my stats for last years interclub hillclimb:

Time Riding: 17:00
    Distance (km): 4.5
    Speed (kph): 16.0
    Power (watts): 286
    Heart Rate (bpm): 178

Map.

Usually my target is Ryan's time + 50%. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Looks like you went a bit too far up the hill, Ryan. From what I remember the finish line last year seemed pretty arbitrary - I don't remember there being any great change in grade or any obvious other landmark. There might have been a pole or a change in surface maybe. If it's been resurfaced then it might be harder again to find it precisely. Seems like if you want a direct comparison you'll simply have to pop along on Thursday evening.

@Lumen - about what did you weigh for that time last year? And for w/kg purposes here is weight taken to be rider+bike etc. or just rider weight?

This is all off topic now. Perhaps it could be pruned out to its own thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

MMR route is 4.5m with 289m of ascent, which corresponds with Lumen's stats. Looking at the satellite pictures, the two routes seem to start in more or less the same place but Ryan's finishes a km further up than the club route.

• Advertisement

MMR route is 4.5m with 289m of ascent, which corresponds with Lumen's stats. Looking at the satellite pictures, the two routes seem to start in more or less the same place but Ryan's finishes a km further up than the club route.

That makes sense... Why does the climb stop 1km early though? The last km is reasonably steep and pretty constant. I guess, back in the day, the road surface was bad or something.

Oh, the surface is great for climbing all the way.

It's actually really pretty up there, not a road I'm on very often... (Last time was for the National MTB Marathon Champs a few years ago)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niceonetom wrote: »
    This is all off topic now. Perhaps it could be pruned out to its own thread?
    Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    @Lumen - about what did you weigh for that time last year? And for w/kg purposes here is weight taken to be rider+bike etc. or just rider weight?

Maybe 69kg. W/kg is generally done on naked rider weight for willy waving purposes or rider+bike+clothing for modelling purposes. Neat.

Results from last year with some extra stats:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0Ai2vrstyOUEKdGJ6ZWw2amYzcFd6T0gzV082alNNQ3c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Thread from last year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The finish was "marked" last year by a gravel section to the right of the road where cars were pulled in. It's the only sort of break in the ditch up the right side of the road so it's sort of easy to spot.

Was up that way with Aidan earlier, the new surface is really nice but there is a bad patch on it with a steel cover, it's marked by an orange cone but you wouldn't want to hit it at speed.

I rode up the climb (tempo type effort) today into a strong headwind. Is the climb longer than your mapmyride link?
    I lifted the link off the Orwell website. Those guys never make mistakes ;) - so you can take it that the start/finish points are accurately marked - you just went further than you needed to!

Here's the finish in Google Maps:

158390.jpg

[Disclaimer: fairly sure that's it but not 100% sure!]
    I 5.5km with 360m of climb => 6.6%. A pretty long undulating one alright!

It puts the 13 minute record into context - was it that course? Was it set with a strong tail wind? It would take a VAM of 1661 to do that - on that type of hill, and that grade, it is a LOT. 6.25W/Kg (if it was a constant climb) - probably closer to 6.5W/kg in reality!

Anyway, here is a strava link for the climb I did: http://app.strava.com/rides/541032#8178131

This is how I do the VAM -> W/Kg conversion. It is roughly right: http://www.squidoo.com/vam
    Thanks for you feedback. All very interesting.

I think the best club time in recent years is slightly over 13 minutes
    I thought I should double check this, since Ryan went to the trouble of cycling the route and reporting back. 13:44 is the best time I could find recorded.

On foot of that research, here's a summary of Bohernabreena hillclimb results for the years 2007, 2009 & 2010. I haven't managed to dig up the results for 2008. As for 2011, well, maybe one or more Boardsies can place an entry in that row after tomorrow evening ...

Bohernabreena|Scratch|Semi-Scratch|Semi-Limit|Limit|Women
    2007|14:57 (Orwell)|14:49 (Lucan)|15:53 (Orwell)|17:51 (Orwell)|17:20 (Lucan)
    2008|n/a|n/a|n/a|n/a|n/a
    2009|13:44 (Lucan)|15:28 (Lucan)|15:44 (Lucan)|16:13 (Orwell)|18:14 (Lucan)
    2010|14:31 (St. Tiernan's)|15:07 (Usher)|15:32 (Orwell)|16:10 (Orwell)|17:31 (Lucan)
    2011|???|???|???|???|???

I lifted the link off the Orwell website. Those guys never make mistakes ;) - so you can take it that the start/finish points are accurately marked - you just went further than you needed to!

Here's the finish in Google Maps:

158390.jpg

[Disclaimer: fairly sure that's it but not 100% sure!]

Thanks for you feedback. All very interesting.

Ahh, that looks like the turn-off into the forest that we used in the Nationals a few years ago - I know it. There is a forest road on your right, then a few hundred meters later, this turn off to the left - I guess that is the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Who did 13:44 in 2009? Frank Billings I guess. My money's on him again this year. That's a savage time especially when you consider the times in all the other cats to be lower than 2010

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Who did 13:44 in 2009? Frank Billings I guess. My money's on him again this year. That's a savage time especially when you consider the times in all the other cats to be lower than 2010
    Yes, it was indeed Flying Frank. He also won it in 2007 as a Semi-Scratch rider.

Orwell Vet Stephen McNally also posted a very impressive 14:15 in 2009, placing him second behind Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Slightly off topic but I'm sure I read somewhere that Usher are running/organising the National Hill Climb Championship this year, I think it's on the Fri 26th August, I'm just wondering what climb they will use ? might it be this one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was up that way with Aidan earlier, the new surface is really nice but there is a bad patch on it with a steel cover, it's marked by an orange cone but you wouldn't want to hit it at speed.

Not much danger of speed going up the hill anyway. :p

edit: wtf? wrong thread.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Club League posts moved here

Beasty

Advertisement