Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 barrel burners???

Options
  • 10-05-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Are these barrel burners?

Hornady .223 NTX 35gr 4000fps

Hornady .223 V-MAX 40gr 3800fps

Hornady .223 V-MAX 53gr 3465fps

What effect if any will these factory loads have on the life of a 20inch stainless barrel?
    Would it be wiser to stick with the 3240fps 55gr rounds available?
    Does the moly coating actually save the barrel?

All numbers are from Hornady using 24inch test barrel so 20inch will probably loose 120-160fps.
    Maybe somebody with a chronograph will have more info on loss of velocity per inch of barrel on a .223

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

BR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ultimately the .223 is still a small cartridge. Extra velocity with lighter bullets will increase wear, coatings will mitigate against that, but as I say, a cartridge that small isn't going to burn barrels too badly one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Are these barrel burners?

Hornady .223 NTX 35gr 4000fps
    Traditionally would be there or there about, I'd guess will only work in 1/10-12 Twists, as none of these in the country to date no way to check

Hornady .223 V-MAX 40gr 3800fps
    I would not think so

Hornady .223 V-MAX 53gr 3465fps
    Deffo not

What effect if any will these factory loads have on the life of a 20inch stainless barrel?
    I'd guess they would do better in a longer rig, my old 26" 1/12 would love 40-55grains.

Would it be wiser to stick with the 3240fps 55gr rounds available?
    Does the moly coating actually save the barrel?
    I believe so, I used them extensively for several years and I'd swear by them

All numbers are from Hornady using 24inch test barrel so 20inch will probably loose 120-160fps.
    Maybe somebody with a chronograph will have more info on loss of velocity per inch of barrel on a .223

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

BR
    what twist your Rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Breachloader

1 in 8 twist.

Only tried 40gr, 45gr, 50gr and 55gr so far.

But 40gr V-max groups best from the rifle.

Ideas?

BR[/QUOTE]
    1 in 8 twist.

Ideas?

Try 60 grain 75 grain and 68 grain if you can get them.

I was very impressed with 75 grain from my 24" 1/8 in strong wind.
    The 55 grain in 1/12 on my old set up were very much affected by wind at the 300 mark. I measured 6.5" of drift on a moderately windy day

I'm guessing your 1/8 will not chew 35grains without spitting them out all over the place, but there was none in the country up until 2 weeks ago.

When ever they come in I'd like to try a box of them for the craic.

I've never had issues with copper fouling with 55grain Moly

1 in 8 twist.

But 40gr V-max groups best from the rifle.

Ideas?

I see your edited post

If 40 grain groups best, what ammo are you comparing it to?

I got great groups with 50 grain and 75 grain, I had no 40 to test at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm guessing your 1/8 will not chew 35grains without spitting them out all over the place

This is reasonably likely. Also quite likely is that you're just going to overspin them, which may cause issues with bullets blowing apart. It's not exactly a toughly constructed bullet and that's way, way faster than it needs to spin. You might get issues with bullets blowing up in the air as the jacket is weakened in the barrel.

So far tested.

Remington 55gr mc
    Remington 50gr jhp
    Remington 45gr jhp
    Hornady 40gr v-max
    Hornady 55gr v-max
    American Eagle 50gr fbhp
    Sellier & Bellot 55gr sp

All group very tight with only slight variations in elevation.

The 40gr v-max seem to nearly go through the same hole, but the gun shoots everything I have tried pretty tight so far. I am very happy with its accuracy, I was just worried that shooting as fast as they do, they might wear out the barrel very quickly. However if nobody else has had issues with this, then It should be ok.
    With the quick twist though would 40gr bullets possibly spin apart too, or would that only be a fear for the 35gr's???

Does anybody know where larger grain .223 ammo is available?
    Which dealers have you bought it from?

Cheers.

BR

You have explained a lot.
    Remington ammo other than accutip is poor.

You had good results with Hornady (groups great across almost all calibres)

75grain ammo is common enough, all RFD's in the Midlands carry it and I know Brian Duffy in Galway www.shoot.ie also carries it.

Hornady 55grain Moly is a fine grain round for Varminting out to 300 or so yards.
    I've had much success with it.

75 Grain TAP is a good round and readily available.
    I can't wait until the 53 grain stuff come in, because I reckon that will be my preferred round in the .223 with the 75 grain stuff for long range Varminting and possibly a bit of target.

I love Hornady ammo, I use it in .223 and .308 and it never fails to perform, every miss is my fault, not the Ammo's fault

Cheers for that.

Will get on the phone tomorrow and see what is around.

BR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Are these barrel burners?...
    Breachloader,
    I don't think that I would worry about any of these rounds.

The term barrel burner conjures up images older metallurgy coupled with poorly researched "hot" loads.

If you are shooting factory ammo and not reloaded, I would not worry and shoot away. See what round your barrel likes to shoot and shoot it to your heart's content.

Are you shooting an old firearm? That may be of concern. If it is new, shoot it, that's what it is meant to do.

There are so many other factors to consider aside from muzzle velocity that I would not know where to begin. Additionally, I am no expert in the area.

If you are fortunate to have enough funds to afford wearing out a barrel, then when the time comes, just replace.

• Advertisement

The rifle is less than a year old with only a couple hundred rounds through her.

Try shooting enough to wear out the barrel... lol

Challenge accepted.

BR

The rifle is less than a year old with only a couple hundred rounds through her.

Challenge accepted.

BR

I'm looking forwad to these new .223 superformance Hornady's

Such a pain always having to wait 6 months to a year for new hornady ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Challenge accepted.
    BR
    Breachloader,
    I understand your concern. However, shoot away.
    I have always thought that worry about the barrel was like worrying about wearing your car tires. Drive away, just don't burn rubber like the boy racers and you'll be fine.
    If you are like me or half the people on this board, you'll be drooling over a new kit before this one wears out.
    Slan

Advertisement